FishDuck Article

Oregon Fans Should Brace for Lanning’s Mudslinging Strategy

Hey Duck fans, are you ready for changes that may be coming?

FISHDUCK.COM

All the changes to college football with the portal, NIL, conference realignment and media rights have created discussions we never dreamed of...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Superb description and analysis Charles. My family business has been built by throwing and slinging enough mud (or other stuff) against the wall to see what sticks.

DL's defensive scheme and its success is predicated on the front 7 stuffing the run, either pressuring the QB off his mark or sacking the QB.  It requires superb linebackers, including the freak on the edge.

Getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down has been a challenge for the Duck D since the 2019 Defensive unit walked off the field. The Ducks offense can't score points or control the middle 8 if its standing on the sidelines.

Watching DL and the defensive staff sling mud looking for those key players is better than watching Penix escape the pocket and sling it play after play downfield.

The more chances the D allows the opposing offense to run plays the greater risk the Ducks csn lose the game. So sling all the mud against the wall that is needed to put those freaks on the field.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In a sense this is what happens in the NFL - bring last year's roster, undrafted free agents, street free agents, and draft choices to training camp, and see who's good enough to make the roster, who's just good enough to stay on the practice squad, and who needs to start looking for work at UPS.

College football really is becoming pro football in so many ways.

• Thumbs Up 2

This defense actually requires three freaks on the field in the Money linebacker, and the Star defensive back, but I wanted to point out the freak athlete we are the farthest from solving, the Jack.

This is one reason why I believe the new defense install will take 3-4 years…

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

It’s all about percentages. With all these young athletes, that are coddled since they were 6 years old, coming out of high school it is hard to find one with elite talent plus have the desire to compete for something that is handed to them. The more you have to choose from the better.

I remember the day when we had to compete to play and then it became pay to play with everyone receiving participation trophies in the process. My son lost interest in sports and I gave up trying to coach the kids because mommy needed her son to play because she paid for it. 

I agree Charles that recruiting has come down to mudslinging and from what I’ve seen DL has the guts to do just that. It may be frustrating at times when see a high rated 4 star walking out the door but it happens and will continue to happen. 

It takes a butt load of energy by the coaching staff and a leader that will not accept less. Lanning has that kind of drive in him and we all hope it lasts. You never know when you are going to find that 3 star that turns into a high draft pick and makes the people around him better.

So sling the mud Dan and see where it sticks.

• Applause 3

Another reason for the mudslinging, is that I do believe that Lanning will adopt the Georgia strategies of “De- Recruitment,” and making this a very hard program.

Great Georgia players leave every year, including starters, and as one fan said, “it grinds you up and spits you out, or turns you into a diamond.”

You have to recruit a ton of players to find out who has the mental and physical strength to rise to the top of all of it.

Mr. FishDuck

Insightful analysis, Charles. It shows the naivety of the young men who willingly place themselves into this position (competing with 12 others for one spot) as well as the ruthlessness both the coaches and players will need to survive. 

I hope that we don’t hear any moaning and groaning about "the lack of loyalty" we will see by players and coaches. It’s all a transaction that the wise players will see with clear eyes and minimal emotion (including loyalty, which doesn’t exist in either direction).

Once a duck, always a Duck, LOL, that is dead. It’s a transaction, not a connection. 

• Whew! 1

The inner discussion between coaches and players is the one I would pay to listen to. You still have the previous staff's players, the young guns, and then the transfers all vying for a starting role, playing time.

I would imagine there are some very frank discussion about what is going to be expected of the old guard. If you can't step into the new role of the 'jack' linebacker, and do it all you won't see the field again. There are freshman we will give the experience to, and a transfer who will be fighting for this role, if you don't develop and adapt.

To our transfer, Burch, I am sure he is being sold the idea this is your last opportunity to show the NFL what you have. I am sure he is being told the job will have to be earned, but this is an opportunity he should hold dear. If one of the young guys is hungrier then you, the coaches will have no problem giving them playing time. The job is his if he takes a leadership role, but if he takes downs off, he will be off the field.

For the freshman they are looking at a wide open opportunity. There is playing time available early if they show promise.

Right now the weight room is where the competition is taking place. I wonder which one of these 'jack' guys is doing the extra work. Which one is leading all the others all spring and summer. After the workout, which one is seeking out the film, and coaches advice. I think Charles has pointed out this may be the most important competition on the team.

My take is Burch is the guy Lanning brought in to play the position. DJ is the next superstar, if he puts in the work.

The interesting one is Blake Purchase. His brother was a 3* who has gone on to play as a freshman, start as a sophomore, and become an Academic All-Big 12 first team winner. As the top recruit from Colorado Lanning made a big play to get him from the Neon recruiting machine. 

I think the future is bright at this position. It could be an immediate turnaround with Burch living up to his potential, or a slower move if the freshman have to take over important downs. Great ponder point, once again, Charles!

• Thanks 1

This article also helped me see recruiting/transfers in a different light.  To date, I've been looking at both as a necessary means to replace players who transfer out.  This really positions both as an intentional process of churning through guys, knowing plenty will wash out.  

We often worry or complain about guys leaving, but this is more a story of the program taking the initiative and "leaving" some of the guys.  Done right, it's a two-way street - players can depart, but the program can also "depart" them.

This is what good analysis does - agree or disagree, the reader sees the subject from a different angle.  Well done, Charles.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great take Charles. I imagine the huge number of edge rushers on the roster will drop on May 1 when the transfer portal reopens. I expect some of these players will be encouraged by the Oregon coaches to enter the portal.

Roster management in CFB today is a witch. But that is the CFB world in which we live so I for one am going to sit back and enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

Spot on and great read.  Thanks!

We should expect this.  And  Very obvious our 2 5* LBs last year where so much further off from what was needed, than most expected.

• Like 1