Pennsylvania Duck

Possible 2023 CFB Rule Changes: Help Limit Injuries, Shorten Games

The college football rules committee is considering several ways to limit total plays in games for the 2023 season, which in turn lessens likelihood of injuries, according to Ross Dellenger.

In an effort to keep games at a manageable pace, recommended rule changes include a running clock of sorts, that includes the game clock continuing to move after incomplete passes once the ball is spotted and first downs.

Per SI, "high-ranking college football leaders" are considering an amendment to teams taking consecutive timeouts to ice kickers and no longer extending quarters with an untimed down situation following a defensive penalty.

Faked or exaggerated injuries are a growing trend in college football, especially on defense used to combat tempo-driven offenses. The NCAA, however, will not add in-game penalties for players accused of faking injuries, but other post-game penalties could be assessed. 

The article includes details on above and more...

I don't know if anyone watched any XFL games last weekend, but they were using a similar set up with the time. I thought it worked pretty well. I also liked how they did extra points by eliminating the kicker all together. Made it more interesting. The fake injury thing is annoying, they need to get that under control.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, PD. Something like this must happen especially with an expanded playoff field on the horizon. 

NFL games fit into the allotted broadcast time slots while CFB games consistently run well beyond the allotted time. 

I would like the stopping of the clock after a 1st don to go away. CFB was played for decades without this timing rule in place. I'd also like to see the NFL challenge rules put in place. In the last 2 minutes of both halves, every play is reviewed. And every scoring play is reviewed. But if a head coach throws a flag to challenge a play on the field and the play stands, your team loses a time-out.

Also, something has to be done to bring uniformity to targeting calls. Both the timing of reviews and unless it is intentional I do not believe a player should be thrown out of the game without a 2nd targeting offense.

Finally, what was wrong with a game ending in a tie in the regular season? OT in 'playoff' games I understand, but for decades CFB got along just fine with regular season games ending in a tie.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But if a head coach throws a flag to challenge a play on the field and the play stands, your team loses a time-out.

I also think that a team gets their challenge back if they successfully challenge the play.  Why should you be punished for correcting the refs mistakes?

On 2/20/2023 at 3:05 PM, Steven A said:

I also think that a team gets their challenge back if they successfully challenge the play.  Why should you be punished for correcting the refs mistakes?

Spot on. Challenge is upheld and the challenging team does not lose a TO.

I always thought overtime should be played like at the end of the first and third quarter.  Team with the ball at the end of the 4th quarter continues from the same yard line and down situation. The overtime  clock set at plus or minus 7:30 minutes with zero or one timeout. It could be sudden death or the full 7:30 minutes played. No one scores in that time frame then the results is a tie.

The purpose of the game is to break the 0-0 tie the teams are in, thus I would not want "ties" to return to college football.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Too damn many booth reviews, it's ridiculous.  Go to a modified challenge system like the NFL.  All scoring plays and turnovers automically reviewed, otherwise coaches get two challenges and no loss of challenge or time out if they're right.  All challenges should be timed, if there isn't overwhelming evidence to overturn the play in 3 minutes then it stands.

No more booth initiated reviews for targeting.  If it's not called live on the field then multiple ultra-slow motion replays are not needed.

Of course they could do away with some of the TV time outs, but we know that won't happen.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, noDucknewby said:

Of course they could do away with some of the TV time outs, but we know that won't happen.

Or at least shorten them. Right now they last anywhere from about 2.5-3.5 minutes. On the other hand, when I'm at the game, that does give me enough time to zip to the bathroom or the concession stand and get back in my seat before the game starts up again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, once again Fishduck has the answers. The Pac-12 payed Lavish Larry how much, and Fishduck wisdom is free!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That would be FishDuck.....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Just finished an article by the Athletic's Andy Staples regarding clock change rules in college football.

One suggestion he had that I agree with is to mic the QB's helmet and the player who calls D signals helmet so plays can come in electronically as is the case in the NFL. Get rid of the bed sheets, etc. on the sideline.

1 problem with this is that it could impair warranties by helmet makers but as Andy says this could be easily overcome if enough CFB teams put pressure on the helmet companies. 

On 2/21/2023 at 12:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Get rid of the bed sheets, etc. on the sideline.

Until the audio system goes down.

Plus, and then instead of faking injuries, fake the system is down to buy more time.

I’m not sure I would like some of the potential clock changes.  To me not stopping the clock after an incompletion just seems wrong and would be a really big change.  

It would be nice if something could be done about fake injuries.  They are annoying as many of you have stated.  Sadly, I don’t really see a fix here.  One of the most common faked injuries is catching a cramp late in games.  Unfortunately it does actually happen very often for real.  How can you quickly and accurately decide if a player truly has a cramp or is faking?

I’m afraid fake injuries will continue to be part of the game.  I’ve witnessed several times over the years where I was pretty sure GA has used this tactic in seemingly an effort to slow down an offense and rest their defense, or to be able to sub.  And we aren’t alone.  I’m sure all teams will do it.

I'm not sure what would be considered reasonable, but if the game stops because you are "injured", sit out for a set number of plays or even the rest of the series.  It would also help with player safety.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2023 at 5:22 PM, Tandaian said:

I'm not sure what would be considered reasonable, but if the game stops because you are "injured", sit out for a set number of plays or even the rest of the series.  It would also help with player safety.

Yes, I think something like that would make sense.  Seems reasonable, especially if time is a factor before the half or late in the 4th quarter. I’m sure some teams would still do it if it was to their advantage but at least there would be some consequences for doing it.  And like you say, it could be a plus for the player’s safety.

Edited by SoGaDawg