Ktmguy2018

Colorado Transfers: Let the Scavenging Begin!

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Two star wide receivers are among the Colorado players who've entered the transfer portal

Their receiver, Lemonious-Craig would make a good addition.  He's a junior this year and I'm sure he would love to win a few games!

According to his Twitter, he's already got quite a few offers...including the agricultural school a little to the north.

CU Buffs roster overhaul continues as players jump into transfer portal

From the day he took over as Colorado’s head football coach in December, Deion Sanders has promised there would be changes – major changes.

Sanders has never wavered from that and the post-spring purge of the roster is in full swing.

On Monday, 16 more players announced their intentions to enter the NCAA transfer portal, including 2022 leading rusher Deion Smith and dynamic receiver Jordyn Tyson, who is recovering from a knee injury.

Overall, 18 players have left the Buffs since Saturday’s spring game and 31 since the NCAA transfer portal window opened on April 15.

CU currently has 68 scholarship players projected for next season, giving Sanders 17 open spots to work with at the moment.

WWW.BUFFZONE.COM

From the day he took over as Colorado’s head football coach, Deion Sanders has promised there would be changes – major...
  • Wow 1

Would the group fleeing from the CU football team be considered The Not Ready For Prime Time Players?

• Haha 2

This goes both ways. Prime is far from through with mining the portal. It is not like any CU player who has entered to date is critical to Prime turning the program around.

BTW, Oregon is #5 in players transferring out. 

Coach Prime is down to about 20 scholarship players. By my estimation he is going to née about 65 more pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage.

https://twitter.com/fos/status/1650582663692972033?s=61&t=WX35WbECMt6xVxjRnTNrmg

Deion getting shredded on Twitter for not allowing portal players to have access to film...petty stuff

You need to scroll and click on "replies" at the bottom of tweet to see comments.

Practice film?

Why not game film from last season unless the young man was not good enough to see the field? 

Does seem somewhat petty. On the other hand, what is the film from last season's practices under Dorrel going to mean to anyone? 

If the player is referring to the spring practice film why would any sitting coach allow films of his practices, the O and D being installed, etc., to go out to the world at large? This would be crazy on the part of the coach.

Is Dan Lanning allowing guys who entered the portal in the 2nd window allowing players to take practice film with them? I doubt it. 

I find this to be a confusing post by a guy who likely will not be missed in Boulder. If Travis Hunter or any new transfers to CU were entering the portal I'd be worried. But these guys if they played at all played on a 1-11 team. 

I'm sorry but this and I do not particularly care for it is the CFB world in which we live today.

I frankly don't see any coach having an obligation to any player who does not want to stay with his team. 

Yeah, why would a coach allow practice film out?  I doubt they have so many cameras that they can single out every player during drills.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, Tandaian said:

Yeah, why would a coach allow practice film out?  I doubt they have so many cameras that they can single out every player during drills.

Bear Alexander before committing to SC had Oregon on the list of possible landing spots. 

I seriously doubt that Dan Lanning would call Kirby Smart and ask for the Georgia practice films. 

Again, I don't care for any of this 'stuff' but who cares what I think? The portal is a big part of today's game, period.

For once the NCAA was proactive in recognizing the strain the portal is having on putting together a roster in this day and age of the portal.

The limit of 25 new scholarships a season is gone.

Theoretically Coach Prime could entirely turn over the entire 85-man roster from 2022. He's 80% of the way there.

Any number of these kids would be better off staying where they are and at least in the Pac-12, remaining on scholarship and playing intramurals brother, play intramurals.

Colorado players in portal detail experience with Deion Sanders: 'He was worried about who he brought in'

From the day he was introduced, first-year Colorado coach Deion Sanders made it clear that the Buffaloes roster would undergo an extreme overhaul after the program limped to a 1-11 record in 2022. Now, that overhaul is coming into focus just a few months into the job for Sanders, who arrived after three seasons at Jackson State.

Outgoing players who spoke to The Athletic following spring practice painted a picture of a coach with no qualms about exercising his ability to cut players.

"I'm not sure he knew the names of half the kids he got rid of," said outgoing offensive lineman Travis Gray. "He was worried about who he brought in. If you were on the 1-11 team, it seemed like he didn't really care about us at all. He already said he was going to get rid of 25-30 of us, and that's exactly what he did."

"None of the new coaches would talk to the old players and treat us the same as the people they brought in," outgoing tight end Zach Courtney told The Athletic. "The new guys wouldn't be picked on as much in film. Coaches would tell them to just do better, but if it was an old player, they'd keep going off on what you did wrong and keep yelling about it."

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Buffaloes are down to just 16 returning scholarship players from the 2022 season

Colorado's transfer portal exodus is historic, expected and risky

Between graduation, professional declarations and transfers (many of whom were cut), more than 70% of the team’s scholarship allotment from last season has now departed. That’s historic turnover. We’ve never seen anything like this in college football.

Rebuilds usually take years, so it’s great, conceptually, to take over a team and sign all your own recruits in a single swoop. If you could bring in your own players all at once, it’d greatly reduce the time it takes to turn a 1-11 roster into a contender. However, that assumes there are enough good players out there to fill your roster the way it needs to be filled. Right now, I’d really question if that’s the case for Colorado.

This is not to say the Buffaloes haven’t had their portal successes. They have! Colorado’s 2023 transfer portal class ranks No. 1 nationally. The Buffaloes have signed 29 players so far, a group that includes multiple plug-and-play starters and the No. 1 player in the portal rankings, Travis Hunter.

The issue is you eventually run out of players to add.

This strategy might ultimately work for Sanders. He’s an elite recruiter and now has room to add quality transfers and make a run at a massive and impactful 2024 class. But there are great risks to this approach, too. Depth matters in college football. Continuity does, too. Sanders is taking both ideas and tossing them aside much like he did with most of the roster he inherited.

247SPORTS.COM

Deion Sanders told us this would happen, but is his transfer portal strategy at risk of backfiring?

How do you backfire from a 1-11 season and 20 years of being irrelevant?

Sell out your spring game at $10 a pop and sell out your season tickets.

Backfire?

Colorado Issues Statement After Player's Film Accusation

Colorado football has experienced a mass exodus of transfers going back to when Deion Sanders took over as head coach in December.

One of the players who entered the portal this month was tight end Zach Courtney, a redshirt freshman. Courtney caused a stir on Tuesday when he tweeted that Colorado was refusing to release his film from practices last season.

All the criticism led to Colorado releasing a statement on the matter this afternoon.

"Colorado is happy to provide all game film and any practice film prior to spring 2023 to any student-athlete and institution upon request," the statement reads.

WWW.MSN.COM

Colorado football has experienced a mass exodus of transfers going back to when Deion Sanders took over as head coach in...

On 4/26/2023 at 4:16 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

"None of the new coaches would talk to the old players and treat us the same as the people they brought in," outgoing tight end Zach Courtney told The Athletic. "The new guys wouldn't be picked on as much in film. Coaches would tell them to just do better, but if it was an old player, they'd keep going off on what you did wrong and keep yelling about it."

This is the abuse coaches can put out there to force players to transfer. 

Now in Sanders' case he is a first year head coach in his position so he can use the rule to cut unlimited players and they can stay on scholarship at Colorado. 

Many would like a shot at playing football elsewhere so they are in the portal, hoping to find a new place to play. 

I'm sure others would be happy to just be cut from the team and stay at the university with their scholarship. 

On 4/27/2023 at 12:28 AM, David Marsh said:

This is the abuse coaches can put out there to force players to transfer. 

Now in Sanders' case he is a first year head coach in his position so he can use the rule to cut unlimited players and they can stay on scholarship at Colorado. 

Many would like a shot at playing football elsewhere so they are in the portal, hoping to find a new place to play. 

I'm sure others would be happy to just be cut from the team and stay at the university with their scholarship. 

The rule you mentioned plus the 25 scholarship limit on new players signed in a given year has been terminated. It's open season on any player you want off the roster.

Deion reversed course regarding the film situation. But it baffles me that some of the guys leaving expect a free limo ride to the airport.

CFB is Big Business. The players wanted more flexibility in the transfer rules. They have it and as is often the case for the average player there are unintended consequences.

As you noted David all of the 'cut' CU players can stay and receive a free education at a school rising in academic reputation. 

No school won a BSC title or a playoff title to date without a Blue Chip roster. When a team goes 1-11 there are plenty of buffalo chips on the roster but few if any, blue chips.