Ktmguy2018

Is This Roster the Most Talented Duck Squad on Offense? I Say YES

Hi folks, I am hoping to start a topic that is going to generate a lot of conversation.  You may agree, disagree, feel that I need professional help (probably true there), but this has been something brewing in my mind since the spring game.   Lets discuss the Oregon "O" side of the ball.  First, some ground rules:

I have done a deep dive into the best players at different positions for Oregon and nothing that I am discussing should be construed that I think we have the next DAT, or Ed Dickson, Gary Zimmerman, etc sitting on this roster.  Those names are arguably some of the best players to ever put on a Duck jersey....and I know there are many more.  The other thing that I am NOT doing is comparing players to former players.  For instance, I'm not saying Bo Nix is MM, or Tez is Jeff Maehl.  Rather, I am taking a look at the field of play from a 3,000 foot level to see the talent and skill levels available as A TEAM on the field.

I am going to make the statement that at this moment in time; before injuries, potential additions/subtractions via the portal, or position changes take place; I have never been so excited about an offensive roster since LMJ and Kenyon Barner lined up in the backfield together or MM and DAT were together.

I know that the offensive line had a bunch of turnover.  I also know that the guys stepping up now received a lot of playing time last year to fill in for injuries and they are game veterans.  Here is the main reason that I am so excited: Skill positions.  The receiving core, running backs, and QB that this squad is going to step onto the field with may be the most talented AS A GROUP that Oregon has ever fielded.  Okay, so this where I may hear the rumblings of "professional help".  Again, I don't see DAT in the backfield in Irving or Whittington.  I don't see Ed Dickson at the TE spot.  What I do see are a group of guys that cumulatively have an incredible amount of talent and there is not a weak spot.  

DAT was a generational talent, it didn't matter what you did on defense; he could burn you.  What this current roster has is highly skilled players at all positions.  Is there a superstar?  Maybe not.  Will ANY of them burn a defense on a missed assignment?  ABSOLUTELY.   And THAT my friends, is where my excitement comes from.

This offense is going to give opposing defenses nightmares.  You need multiple lock-down corners to handle Franklin, Tez, Bryant Jr, Holden, Hutson, and Delgado.  Okay, MAYBE you've got the skill players to do that.  Sooo, do you have the skill at LB to handle an Irving or Whittington coming out of the backfield?  I can say confidently that I do NOT see a defensive roster in the PAC that has this type of talent.  And guess what, I've not even talked about Bo's ability to run.

What I saw in Spring Game was a plethora of weapons for this offensive to utilize.  Clearly, this does not account for incorrect routes, overthrown balls, etc.  That is just part of football.  But I feel that I can confidently say that for the first time in a LONG time, Oregon is putting out an offense that is going to take us back a decade or so to when the flash/dazzle/explosiveness would leave you shaking your head at how and why this team could do this.   

Exciting stuff.  Let the conversation begin.

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Boy you have come to the right place; not for help, but a community that loves to be over-the-top in our love for Our Beloved Ducks.  What I enjoy the most about your post is that you have done what I have done often in the past; put myself out there on a limb....happily.

If we end up wrong later?  So what.  It was out of love for OBD, and due to our excitement.  The MOST talented squad ever?  Boy....beating the 2010, 2012 (with DAT) and 2014 is hard to overcome, but you make some excellent points.  I am in the group that feels that "this is one of our best offensive groups ever."

We will not have such a savvy, experienced QB at the helm again like this for years, and the experience on offense at all positions is impressive.  Throw in the "Bird-Bomb" offense of Will Stein that opens up the mid-range crossing/short routes, and we have a nasty passing attack at the ready.

But it will be built on a great running game from six experienced offensive linemen, (now a seventh with the portal transfer announcement today) three experienced TEs and a running back stable that could be the deepest ever at Oregon.

Thanks....just thanks for getting me juiced on a Monday morning!

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think the team does have a lot of offensive talent. However, our season really relies on Bo Nix playing at a high level, and staying healthy. The team has depth at certain positions, but not all of them. 

The PAC 12 Champion will need to navigate through a minefield of talented QBs. It may be an offensive shootout for some games. 

If our defense shows respectable improvement, then our offense most certainly benefits.

I do know that a fair amount of my angst can be reduced if our offense doesn’t feel the need to go on 4th down in our end of the field quite as often. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree the talent level is exciting, probably most at receiver. It is crazy the talent level we are amassing there, like never before. The rest of the positions we have had better, but then it is all about the teamwork, culture.

Another question, can the coaches develop the talent, and is there on field leadership to bring us to a new level? Talent is just potential, until there is action! Great topic for discussion!

On 5/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Boy you have come to the right place; not for help, but a community that loves to be over-the-top in our love for Our Beloved Ducks.  What I enjoy the most about your post is that you have done what I have done often in the past; put myself out there on a limb....happily.

If we end up wrong later?  So what.  It was out of love for OBD, and due to our excitement.  The MOST talented squad ever?  Boy....beating the 2010, 2012 (with DAT) and 2014 is hard to overcome, but you make some excellent points.  I am in the group that feels that "this is one of our best offensive groups ever."

We will not have such a savvy, experienced QB at the helm again like this for years, and the experience on offense at all positions is impressive.  Throw in the "Bird-Bomb" offense of Will Stein that opens up the mid-range crossing/short routes, and we have a nasty passing attack at the ready.

But it will be built on a great running game from six experienced offensive linemen, (now a seventh with the portal transfer announcement today) three experienced TEs and a running back stable that could be the deepest ever at Oregon.

Thanks....just thanks for getting me juiced on a Monday morning!

giphy.gif

Run Forrest, RUN!

Sure hope you are right. Charles makes great points in regard to the 2010, 2012, and 2014 teams.

The proof, as always, will be in the pudding. 

To equate to the teams Charles noted the team will have to make the final Final 4 and make the title game like MM's team did his senior season or at least score a convincing win in an NY6 bowl and finish in the AP ranked final poll top 3 or 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am very excited about the offense for 2023. So much talent and potential. However my bench marks are always based on performance and production.

So 2010 and 2014 results are my standards to measure 2023 by. A trip to the Natty is a must as Charles pointed out.

We had fire power in 2022 but a untimely injury to Nix and poor D play in critical, closing time of games deflated the potential for a great season. 

This is a great topic for discussion. Its positive, its about football and DL and staff are loading the positions on offense. Depth and talent abound.

Yet, in my worthless opinion we are very thin past the first 6 oline guys and paper thin past Bo. So heres to an injury free 2023 for Bo and the Oline.

GO DUCKS.......

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you're right, but I have 3 question marks.  Team speed on offense, a go-to possession receiver, and QB depth.

2012 and 2014 were extremely fast teams (not just tempo) with quick, agile lineman and breakaway speed at skill positions.  At the receiver position, we need a man among boys to go get the football and move the chains even when scheme is covered.  I hope this receiver is on hand now and will take huge strides this year.

We all understand the QB situation and I hope Ty has a breakout year.  Our 2011 team had Darron Thomas, Brian Bennett, and Marcus Mariota all on the same roster.

The talent is enough for this team to be great. I expect Bo to have his career-best year.

Suspect functions that need to perform at high levels to maximize win totals and championships are:

-team leadership

- in-game coaching

- OC performance

- teamwork and cohesiveness

- the will of the players to overcome adversity to win

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, mikethehiker said:

Our 2011 team had Darron Thomas, Brian Bennett, and Marcus Mariota all on the same roster.

Definitely, our best QB year. BB and MM were both better than DT, who led the team to the national championship game and should have won it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought this was an interesting article to go along with the conversations.

The best recruits Oregon has ever landed by position 

Here's a recap of Oregon's "best ever" recruits list by position group since the recruiting boom in 2002.

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a recap of Oregon's "best ever" recruits list by position group since the recruiting boom in 2002.

• Applause 1