FishDuck Article

If Moving to the B1G is so Great, Why is Oregon Out-Recruiting USC?

It’s hard to ignore USC fans these days, as most of them seem far too happy about joining the B1G. They gleefully lord it over the rest of the Pac-12 as they seem to take some perverse joy out of the fact that they may have brought upon the demise of their current conference rivals. Which is rather pathetic when ...

FISHDUCK.COM

It's hard to ignore USC fans these days, as most of them seem far too happy about joining the B1G. They gleefully lord it over the rest of the...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Amen David.  You can build a big brand, a National Championship team in a so-so conference as Clemson did years ago when the rest of the ACC was weak.  If Lanning continues to succeed and create the buzz he is--the conference we are in will not matter.

And if we can get half of all the revenue from post-season bowls?  We might end up making more staying the Pac-12! 

Hey recruits...forget the conference and look at the team you would be playing for!

Oregon Poster_Fox Sports Video (2).jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks David!  ‘Trojan tears on Rich Brooks Field’ is a beautiful way to make any Duck fan’s day!  Keep up the good work!

USuCk’s bitter hatred of Oregon’s success comes from their deep feelings of being ‘has been’ as opposed to the mutt’s hatred coming from a feeling of ‘never been.’

Either way, it is hilariously satisfying to hear their jealously driven whine reach a crescendo that is as pathetic as it is funny!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks, David, love the take. 

As you noted it's early in the day for 2024 recruiting and we all know that the word 'commitment' when it comes to recruiting is an oxymoron.

And, it's probably safe to say that it ain't over before Saint Nick sings. 

SC and UW both hold a lot of animosity for other conference members based on the reaction when SC was hosed over by the NCAA and UW was sanctioned not only be the NCAA but also by the conference. Today, Reggie hiring an agent and receiving 'extra benefits' and Billy Joe Herbert being paid $50K by UW boosters wouldn't draw a nod.

Yet, there are plenty of SC fans not thrilled with the move but what good does complaining do at this point in time? 

Recruiting comes down to relationships and what team will get me to the NFL and where can I make NIL money. DL and his staff seem to be masters at creating an attractive family atmosphere and Division Street is at the top of the NIL game. Keep on bringing in the quality of players DL is recruiting and the NFL should take care of itself. 

Your argument for Utah being the principal rival for the Ducks is compelling but in my mind, Utah is in 3rd place, if that, behind UW and the Beavers.

BTW, in 2023, no way is the B1G deeper than the Pac-12 in football. The Pac goes 6 deep in preseason-ranked teams. The B1G is Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and maybe Wisconsin. 

SC and UCLA are moving for the money and not better competition in CBB and CFB.

The SEC makes its money from incredibly zealous fans who fill huge stadiums in small towns.

The B1G money comes from enthusiastic fans, no doubt, but also from playing in the Eastern time zone for the most part and having legions of alumni and alumnae. The B1G has won 1 CFB playoff title and has not won a CBB title since 2000. 

One of the great things about the 2023 season, the Ducks will have the opportunity to defeat USC, Utah, and UW.

Thanks again, David.

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

David, I should also add that DL with the help of Dilly and excellent play from Bo Nix, brought back the O and resurrected the Oregon brand.

I credit Charles with being in the lead in calling out Mario and the offense he ran compared to Mario's grind it out, keeping every opponent in the game brand of O. Far different from what Mario said he was going to go at his initial press conference.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 2

I think what is also telling about sc's recruiting is they can't beat out Riley's old team, Oklahoma, in recruiting.  He left Oklahoma for what I presume was an ability to recruit, and compete at a higher level at the prestigious sc, right?

Riley left Oklahoma to play in the Pac-12, and miss the switch to the SEC Oklahoma is headed too. Instead he is headed to the Big 10, and again having to play some big time programs, with more travel.

The important thing about Riley is he tends to be very competitive in conference and then can't win the big games. As a conference you don't want coaches like this. You want coaches who can compete in conference and win the big games. 

Important fact is Riley won 4 straight conference championships at Oklahoma in the Big 12. Last year in the Pac-12 he came in third, and added added another loss to his bowl record, 1-4. 

I think sc bought fake gold with Riley, and are chasing the BIG dollars to their detriment.

Another huge win by the Ducks at Autzen against the spoiled children is all I want to see as they leave the Pac. Actually I would love to see a couple other programs hang on L on sc this season. I would like to see sc get to a bowl game so Riley can add another loss, and make his bowl record 1-5.

I love the cover picture for the story, Oregon rounding the corner against sc.  I would say we are pulling away!

Lenoir_EJ_FP-1200x630.png.webp

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Riley and Oklahoma played a great Rose Bowl game with Baker Mayfield at QB versus Georgia. A game the Sooners won in OT. UGA was THIS CLOSE to beating Bama for the title before Tua tossed up a miracle.

That was Riley's playoff high-water mark. When last seen on his way to an 0-4 playoff record, Oklahoma was eviscerated by Joe Burrow and LSU.

You do have to play a modicum of D at least to win a title or beat Utah and Tulane.

On 5/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Your argument for Utah being the principal rival for the Ducks is compelling but in my mind, Utah is in 3rd place, if that, behind UW and the Beavers.

I don't think Utah is a principal rival... I think they are a rival. 

I think UW, USC and Oregon State get to take a front seat to them. 

In the mid 2010's I would have said Stanford held that spot but they have since faded. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Case and point one of the biggest targets on the west coast and in southern California and... No USC hat in that lot. 

B1G is represented though... By Ohio State. 

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Expect the Playoff to move to 12 at-large teams in 2026. That, more than anything, will lead to B1G expansion. Plus: B1G...

Wasn’t sure which thread was best to post this article. 

I think more misery is ahead for the la schools in recruiting. The only advantage I see is the money which IMO will not out way the travel aspect that will come with the move. Expenses will also increase with hotel bills, food, and the rest that goes with travel. Ohio State and Michigan will love sitting at home waiting to clobber the travel weary west coast schools. I can see both la schools tossing some sports out the door simply because of travel expenses.

There are plenty of schools in the pack that you can go to as a fan and see your team or child play and not have the misery of going through airport lines and sitting there for 3 hours waiting for a flight. I’m sure some mom and dads in la are taking that into consideration when going through the selection process. 

The la schools will still get the die hard kids but the ones that are on the fence may not pick those traitors and pick a team that will play games closer to home. Oregon I think will take advantage of this situation especially if the la schools struggle this season and in the future.

Things might note be all roses in la. 

We can only hope.

• Let’s hope! 1

Case in point from below article:

Prediction: 5-Star OT Brandon Baker to Oregon

Oregon is just getting started in the 2024 class and Baker would be a huge part of A'lique Terry's first cycle with the Ducks.

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/prediction-5-star-ot-brandon-baker-to-oregon

• Thumbs Up 1

You have to have a Blue Chip Roster (50%+ 4* and 5* recruits to win a title. No school without a Blue Chip Roster won a BCS championship or has won a playoff title to date. DL is more than holding his own.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are on a hot streak in the 2024 recruiting cycle. So where does their blue-chip ratio rank nationally this early on?

On 5/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, Rufus said:
SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Expect the Playoff to move to 12 at-large teams in 2026. That, more than anything, will lead to B1G expansion. Plus: B1G...

Wasn’t sure which thread was best to post this article. 

12 at-large teams simply mean that the Little Power 3 will be further subsiding the B1G and especially the SEC and especially if the SEC stays at 8 conference games.

Why does the author believe that any conference other than the B1G and SEC and possibly Notre Dame would approve this format?

The ACC, B12, Pac-10, and all G5 conferences have a vote on the playoff structure and unless they are completely brain-dead they will not vote in favor of this additional gift to the Power 2. 

• Great post! 1

Clickbait article.  ACC, Big 12, Pac 10 and G5, aren't going to vote for 12 at large bids.

Here is what I’m thinking…. I have not heard of this happening, but it is my best guess as to how it would play out…The SEC and B1G work with the G5 to make this happen.  In exchange for their approval, the B1G and SEC agree to play a certain number of G5 games each season at an enormous payout.  Maybe 2-4 million per game.  If the G5 vote in line with the SEC and B1G, that’s the majority needed for this to pass.  Subsidizing the G5 with massive payouts will attract their attention.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, Rufus said:

Here is what I’m thinking…. I have not heard of this happening, but it is my best guess as to how it would play out…The SEC and B1G work with the G5 to make this happen.  In exchange for their approval, the B1G and SEC agree to play a certain number of G5 games each season at an enormous payout.  Maybe 2-4 million per game.  If the G5 vote in line with the SEC and B1G, that’s the majority needed for this to pass.  Subsidizing the G5 with massive payouts will attract their attention.   

Tough to accomplish with so many schedules firmed up, subject to a buyout for the next decade-plus but money does talk.

Frankly, if the playoff stays at 12 or goes to 16 with all of the field being at-large the ACC (teams not playing Notre Dame required to play 9 conference games), the B12 and the Pac should consider holding their own post-season tournament. Broadcast on a streaming service if necessary with the revenue in part depending upon the number of viewers.

Not as much $ of course but without having to share with the B1G and the SEC and devaluing the playoff field by not participating with the Power 2 it might not be that large of a discrepancy. 

And why subsidize the Power 2 any further than is already the case? 

Although I HATE to have anything to do with the B12 and its slime-ball commissioner including providing a boost for the B12 by playing the next 6 OOC games against B12 conference members. 

B1G - Ohio State won the first playoff title. Clemson has won twice.

B1G - CBB has not won a title since 2000. ACC has far more than 1 CBB title since 2000. 

The B1G is big because of its location and huge numbers of alumni and alumnae and not because of success on the field and on the court.

Swafford, in order to accommodate Notre Dame's independence buried the ACC in an awful media deal.

1st thing the ACC should do IMO is to stop bending over for ND. Require ND football to join all the other sports, other than ice hockey played in the B1G, in the ACC, or get lost.

The ACC football champ has to play 13 games while The Irish play 12. And for the ACC to play 8 regular season conference games because of the ND deal is lame. As is justifying 8 games because Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, and Louisville play an SEC team every season.

In today's CFB world a marriage between the Left and Right coast schools, 2 conferences that care about academics, makes sense.

I obviously have been waffling over conference realignment. I'm now starting to wonder why Oregon and Wahington would consider moving to the B1G? If Oregon wins the PAC and the first game in the playoffs, the payout is astronomical. Whats the chances of Oregon winning the B1G? An at large in the B1G?

Looks to me that the odds are about equal to leaning this side with the PAC if its only about cash. Sure, guaranteed money is better but the potential payout seems like an easier road to achieve. They also keeps all the kids on the West Coast for the season.

This or that....its all still up in the air

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, 1Funduck said:

I'm now starting to wonder why Oregon and Washington would consider moving to the B1G? If Oregon wins the PAC and the first game in the playoffs, the payout is astronomical. What's the chances of Oregon winning the B1G? An at large in the B1G?

Complete agreement!  And the amount of making the Playoff ONE YEAR can finance Olympic sports for a couple of years. A lot harder to achieve in the B1G! 

Just ask the LA schools in a couple of years... but for now they are delighted, joyful, knowing how well this will go for them.

The LA Schools are Dancing...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Complete agreement!  And the amount of making the Playoff ONE YEAR can finance Olympic sports for a couple of years. A lot harder to achieve in the B1G!  Just ask the LA schools in a couple of years... but for now they are delighted, joyful, knowing how well this will go for them.

The LA Schools are Dancing...

giphy.gif

And streaming has the potential to get this woman and the Pac-10 finances better balanced.

To reiterate, a reasonably big-time OOC game, UW at Michigan State, will be broadcast only on NBc's streaming network, Peacock.

A wave of the future. Who knew the surf would be up in E. Lansing?