Jon Joseph

Oregon Future Football Schedules - What is Rob Mullens Thinking?

Below are Oregon's future football out-of-conference schedules from 2025 through 2028.

2025 - Montana State/ Oklahoma State/ at Boise State

2026 - Boise State/ at Oklahoma State/ Portland State

2027 - at Baylor/ Utah State

2028 - North Dakota State/ Baylor/ at Utah State

Games at Boise and Utah State? Really?

Oregon plays at Texas Tech in 2023 and plays Texas Tech at home in 2024. It is too late and not equitable to try to buy out of the games versus the Red Raiders.

Playing Oklahoma State in 2025/26 and Baylor in 2027/28 is senseless. Senseless with the B12 doing all it can to destabilize the Pac-10 and senseless in that these games will not draw the media magic $4m eyeballs. Yet, both Oklahoma State and Baylor, especially in Stillwater and Waco, are good enough programs to hand Oregon a loss. 

The Oklahoma State and Baylor games will give these two teams and the B12 a media viewership boost and do nothing of playoff import if Oregon wins these games.

IMO, Rob needs to find a way not to play at Boise and at Utah State in games played in bandbox stadiums and off the national radar.

Rob also should buy out the games versus Oklahoma State and Baylor. These games will not be a big nationwide viewing draw so pick up games versus G5 teams and add home games in 2026 and 2027. 

If you are going to play a G5 opponent on the road play at Hawaii to help recruit players from the Pacific Islands. Playing at Boise and Utah State does not move the recruiting needle. 

Edited by Steven A
Personal attack
  • Like 1

I still can't believe Rob wasted the chance of scheduling more relevant programs by scheduling THREE CONSECUTIVE Big 12 opponents! I hope that Oregon schedules a home and home series with an SEC team, hopefully Alabama in 2035-36.

• Thumbs Up 1

The games at Boise State, 2025 and Utah State, 2028 are part of 2 for 1 deals. We get Boise State at home in 24 & 26 and Utah State at home in 27 & 29. For me this makes the road games tolerable. If Coach Lanning gets the Ducks performing on the field like he has in recruiting then I look forward to watching the Ducks destroy BSU inside Autzen in 2024 and 2026.

While the risk/reward for games against Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are not as desirable as games against top 5 teams, they should be fun and exciting games to watch. They will be games that I am excited to spend a Saturday inside Autzen watching.

We are scheduled to play at Hawaii in 2024 along with 3 home games against Idaho, Texas Tech and Boise State. I'm not a big fan of playing the extra regular season game. It will make it more difficult to stay healthy for the end of the season. I would play at Hawaii but then eliminate one of the 3 home games (Idaho) so we stay at 12 regular season games.

FBSCHEDULES.COM

View future Oregon football schedules and opponents at FBSchedules.com.

I say "bring it on".

With expanded playoffs, we don't belong in the picture unless we can win the "Pac whatever" and get the auto bid, so these games should only help us in league play as opposed to all cupcakes and getting the "our poop don't stink" attitude.

Georgia didn't keep us out of the playoffs last year, ewe dub and the Beavs did!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:37 PM, JB89 said:

The games at Boise State, 2025 and Utah State, 2028 are part of 2 for 1 deals. We get Boise State at home in 24 & 26 and Utah State at home in 27 & 29. For me this makes the road games tolerable. If Coach Lanning gets the Ducks performing on the field like he has in recruiting then I look forward to watching the Ducks destroy BSU inside Autzen in 2024 and 2026.

While the risk/reward for games against Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are not as desirable as games against top 5 teams, they should be fun and exciting games to watch. They will be games that I am excited to spend a Saturday inside Autzen watching.

We are scheduled to play at Hawaii in 2024 along with 3 home games against Idaho, Texas Tech and Boise State. I'm not a big fan of playing the extra regular season game. It will make it more difficult to stay healthy for the end of the season. I would play at Hawaii but then eliminate one of the 3 home games (Idaho) so we stay at 12 regular season games.

FBSCHEDULES.COM

You are far kinder to Rob than I am. IMO there is no excuse to have to bargain with Boise and Utah State and any other Mountain West teams. These teams should be thrilled to get national exposure playing Oregon in Autzen.

The man needs to stop making excuses and schedule up. Yes, Autzen is a tough place to play but so is Rice-Echolls Stadium and Utah has Florida coming to town this season. 

Ohio State (BOO) canceled an H+H in 2024/25 with UW for a payment of $500K. No reason that Rob can't buy out of the OK St and Baylor games for less money.

What network will Oregon at Boise and Oregon at Utah State games be on? What number of eyeballs will these games draw? How many recruits will choose Oregon because of these games?

Do these questions even cross Rob's mind? 

At any time in its history, this is the time when the Ducks need more national exposure; not the time to be playing at MW teams in the Mountain time zone.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:19 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

I still can't believe Rob wasted the chance of scheduling more relevant programs by scheduling THREE CONSECUTIVE Big 12 opponents! I hope that Oregon schedules a home and home series with an SEC team, hopefully Alabama in 2035-36.

In fairness, Rob didn't know it at the time but spreading sugar on a conference that is doing all it can to destroy the Pac-10 is bad business.

Buy out of the OK ST and Baylor games.

We will never get SEC teams to play us in Oregon. The trip and playing in Autzen is just too hard for SEC teams wanting to keep their mystique in place. Come to Oregon and lose…well the SEC becomes less of a juggernaut. “You lost to Oregon?!”

I am all for scheduling cupcakes. Being 11-1 with several cupcakes is seen as better than 10-2 or 9-3 after playing tough teams. More energy and fewer injuries at season’s end means a deeper run in the championship. That exposure means more than any preseason game. 

The negative to cupcakes is loss of national exposure and season ticket buyers upset about weak games. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

SEC teams do not want to give up a home date by scheduling home-and-home, so they would rather over pay a Gumball State than lose the home revenue by playing elsewhere.   Therefore, it is highly unlikely you’ll see SEC teams travel much.  There is also the time zone issue and late return home which is also why Big Ten teams have been expressing their reluctance to add any more members outside USC/UCLA.

As the schedule stands right now, the August 31 game at Utah will be the first true road game outside Florida in nonconference play for UF since the Gators traveled to play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome on Sept. 1, 1991.  They did play Michigan in Dallas at the beginning of 2017.

With the uncertainty about media revenue, most current Pac12 schools will not be able to pay large guarantees to attract opponents for the foreseeable future.  Thus, a steady diet of Mountain West and Big Sky.   Even those two conferences will become less available to the Pac12 as other conferences escalate their "buy games" values.

'Bama, Georgia and the like won't schedule a home and home with us for the same reasons you don't want to do the same with BIG-12 teams.  We're seen as lesser competition for the SEC but we're good enough (especially at home) to hand them a loss. (Ohio State anyone?)  Playing Texas Tech (who will start the season ranked) may not have a big effect, but if we take care of business the way we should, it will just be another ranked team to count toward our total come bowl season.  If we're (PAC-Whatever) going to be perceived as better than the B12 and anywhere close to the B1G and SEC, we need to handle the B12 any chance we get to play them. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:31 AM, Wrathis said:

'Bama, Georgia and the like won't schedule a home and home with us for the same reasons you don't want to do the same with BIG-12 teams.  We're seen as lesser competition for the SEC but we're good enough (especially at home) to hand them a loss. (Ohio State anyone?)  Playing Texas Tech (who will start the season ranked) may not have a big effect, but if we take care of business the way we should, it will just be another ranked team to count toward our total come bowl season.  If we're (PAC-Whatever) going to be perceived as better than the B12 and anywhere close to the B1G and SEC, we need to handle the B12 any chance we get to play them. 

Yet, not so long ago an AD before Rob convinced Tennessee to play a H+H series with Oregon. TN with a 100,000-seat stadium in Knoxville tripped to Eugene.

Auburn plays at CAL this season in the 1st of an H+H series. Bama has an H+H scheduled with Arizona. LSU has an H+H scheduled with CU. AZ is at Mississippi St in a return game. All of these games, even the AZ game, will draw more viewers than Oregon at TX Tech which is being played at the same time Texas plays at Alabama. 

Look at Pac-10 schedules for the next decade; loaded with H+H versus the SEC.

Take care of B12 teams other than Texas and Oklahoma and how does it benefit Oregon in prestige wins and in the number of viewers watching the games? These are 'no win' games for the Ducks. I'd rather cancel the OK St and Baylor games and play 2 more home games against G5 opponents. With the expanded playoff caveat discussed below.

I understand your and others' POV when it comes to scheduling but IMO not even trying to play B1G or SEC teams OOC is throwing in the towel. Not scheduling these teams because they don't want to come to Autzen is excuse-making defeatism from a guy making $1M a year.

In 2024, we move to a 12-team playoff field. the 6 highest ranked conference champs are in with the top 4 ranked conference champs having a 1st round bye. A 3-loss conference champ will be in the field. And finally, SOS is likely to matter for determining the 6 at-large spots and for seeding. 

If you are not a conference champ in the top 4 you at least want to be ranked 5 through 8 to secure a 1st round home game. Scheduling in order not to have more than 1 loss in a 4 team playoff field is no longer relevant. 

I do enjoy this discussion and again, I understand and respect all POVs but a new day is dawning with a 12-team PO field and Oregon needs eyeballs watching if its games are going to be valued at more than $3M as reported in a post up today on BDF.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't think it's as easy as cancelling games and forcing Auburn, LSU, and Bama to accept home and homes!  It's really really hard to convince these schools to take the risk of getting waxed at Autzen.  We've seen what happens to SEC teams here at Autzen, they get dominated.  The reason why Auburn is playing Cal, Bama with Arizona, and LSU with CU, is because they know they'll kill those teams and get a nice opportunity to recruit the west.  

A lot of these teams are booked now for the next ten years, so I don't think you'll get anything more than taking an unfair neutral site game against anyone else in the SEC.

Sure Georgia, LSU, and Auburn will play us in a "neutral" site game (as long as it's closer to them than to us), but they won't play us is straight home and home, I'm sure Mullens has tried to get these teams to commit, it takes two to tango.

Now could Oregon get home and homes with Arkansas?  Vandy?  Miss St?  South Carolina?  Yeah probably.  Does it help more to play these teams instead of Baylor, Tech, and Okie St.?  Debatable. 

I'm pretty sure all the upcoming Big12 games are going to feature two ranked teams.  Utah as an example has BYU, Wyoming, Arkansas, Houston, and Wisconsin in future schedules.  Pretty comparable to what we have in both Michigan St., both OSUs, Baylor, Tech, Boise St., and Utah St.. 

When I look at those two schedules I would probably rather have Houston than Utah St., I might like to play the Big10 more than the Big12, but we've already played Wisconsin multiple times so I'll probably take something new in Baylor or Tech.  

The reason why I'm not as harsh on Mullens as you is that I just don't know what options we had when we were making these schedules, I'm not sure what the coaches were advocating for, we've shown we aren't afraid to take games against the best, so that tells me we've at least tried to probably make some of these games happen, I just believe that we haven't been able to find partners that are willing to make a fair deal.  

If I was to criticize Mullens for anything, I would probably look at trying to schedule a set with some team from the ACC, if we can't convince a big SEC team to come here, let's see if Clemson, FSU, or NC St. might be willing to come out here.  

I think it's very fair to be frustrated and disappointed by the upcoming schedules, but I just wonder if it was really possible to get some of the teams we might wish for. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great take Spartan. I wonder if two more home games even against G5 opponents would not pay the balance of the buyout fees.

Ohio State paid UW $500K to cancel out of a 2024/25 H+H.

Unless Rob screwed up the buyout I would think that OK St and Baylor could be bought out for less with both being given more time to find a replacement than all-mighty Ohio State gave UW.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't "buyout" any team without a replacement firmly in hand beforehand.  Higher profile opponents than Okie State and Baylor would be very difficult to come by, especially home-and-home and avoid neutral site games.

Sometimes personal connections help.  Thus, Alabama/Arizona, Miss State/Arizona games were committed in the past when there was cross pollination of staff such as Greg Byrne AD at both Alabama and Arizona.

One thing for sure, Pac12 teams better have the front end of any home-and-home inside their own stadium first, or suffer high risk of a buyout for the second game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As the landscape of college football continues to change, so will OOCG scheduling.

2 thoughts on this:

First: We cannot expect Oregon to win the PAC title every year. A 2 loss PAC runner up is not a lock for a CFP invite. The  SEC and BIG will fight for 5 or 6 invites each year.

There is no advantage to playing a top 10 program OOC. None....If you lose,  you put the team in a must win out situation. So be careful in scheduling.....

The prize should be a CFP invite every year for the top 2 PAC teams

Second: As the landscape changes to 2 super conferences those 2 giants could shut everyone out on OOCG.  At that point they can and will make their own rules. They can have their own playoffs.

Oregon most likely would be a part of one of those 2 conferences. But their is no guarantee to that.

We could have another division in football. And 4 and 5 star athletes will not be coming to the B league.

Many people are involved in making the long term CF decisions. Ask yourself, who of those decision makers care about the PAC?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Yikes! 1

On 6/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, HDuck said:

You don't "buyout" any team without a replacement firmly in hand beforehand.  Higher profile opponents than Okie State and Baylor would be very difficult to come by, especially home-and-home and avoid neutral site games.

Sometimes personal connections help.  Thus, Alabama/Arizona, Miss State/Arizona games were committed in the past when there was cross pollination of staff such as Greg Byrne AD at both Alabama and Arizona.

One thing for sure, Pac12 teams better have the front end of any home-and-home inside their own stadium first, or suffer high risk of a buyout for the second game.

Good take. I note tht Ohio State did not have replacements for Washington when it cancelled the series with UW.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, spartan2785 said:

I just don't think it's as easy as cancelling games and forcing Auburn, LSU, and Bama to accept home and homes!  It's really really hard to convince these schools to take the risk of getting waxed at Autzen.  We've seen what happens to SEC teams here at Autzen, they get dominated.  The reason why Auburn is playing Cal, Bama with Arizona, and LSU with CU, is because they know they'll kill those teams and get a nice opportunity to recruit the west.  

A lot of these teams are booked now for the next ten years, so I don't think you'll get anything more than taking an unfair neutral site game against anyone else in the SEC.

Sure Georgia, LSU, and Auburn will play us in a "neutral" site game (as long as it's closer to them than to us), but they won't play us is straight home and home, I'm sure Mullens has tried to get these teams to commit, it takes two to tango.

Now could Oregon get home and homes with Arkansas?  Vandy?  Miss St?  South Carolina?  Yeah probably.  Does it help more to play these teams instead of Baylor, Tech, and Okie St.?  Debatable. 

I'm pretty sure all the upcoming Big12 games are going to feature two ranked teams.  Utah as an example has BYU, Wyoming, Arkansas, Houston, and Wisconsin in future schedules.  Pretty comparable to what we have in both Michigan St., both OSUs, Baylor, Tech, Boise St., and Utah St.. 

When I look at those two schedules I would probably rather have Houston than Utah St., I might like to play the Big10 more than the Big12, but we've already played Wisconsin multiple times so I'll probably take something new in Baylor or Tech.  

The reason why I'm not as harsh on Mullens as you is that I just don't know what options we had when we were making these schedules, I'm not sure what the coaches were advocating for, we've shown we aren't afraid to take games against the best, so that tells me we've at least tried to probably make some of these games happen, I just believe that we haven't been able to find partners that are willing to make a fair deal.  

If I was to criticize Mullens for anything, I would probably look at trying to schedule a set with some team from the ACC, if we can't convince a big SEC team to come here, let's see if Clemson, FSU, or NC St. might be willing to come out here.  

I think it's very fair to be frustrated and disappointed by the upcoming schedules, but I just wonder if it was really possible to get some of the teams we might wish for. 

I don't understand why people here think Alabama is afraid of Autzen Stadium, Alabama is literally a powerhouse and considering they have scheduled a series with Ohio State makes me think they would be fine with visiting Autzen, but man, I still hope Bama vs. UO happens someday, maybe it will happen in the expanded playoffs?

• Thumbs Up 1

Alabama isn't afraid to play Oregon, however they have played exactly 4 true road games OOC since 2003.  Only @ Hawaii back in 2003 that was further west than the CST.  Alabama's future schedule does have some true road games, but only Arizona west of CST.  From 2012 thru 2021 Alabama played zero OOC road games.

It will be interesting to see what happens to their OOC schedule if SEC does go to 9 conference games.  2029-2034 they have two Power 5 schools currently scheduled.

2003 USF Oklahoma Southern Miss @Hawaii
2004 Utah St. Western Carolina Southern Miss  
2005 Middle Tennessee Southern Miss Utah St.  
2006 Hawaii Louisiana Monroe Florida International  
2007 Western Carolina Houston Louisiana Monroe @FSU
2008 #9 Clemson Tulane Western Kentucky Arkansas St.
2009 #7 Va Tech Florida Intl North Texas Chattanooga
2010 San Jose State #18 Penn St. Duke Georgia St.
2011 Kent State @ #23 Penn St. North Texas Georgia Southern
2012 #8 Michigan St. Western Kentucky Florida Atlantic Western Carolina
2013 Virginia Tech Colorado St. Georgia St. Chattanooga
2014 Western Virginia Florida Atlantic Southern Miss Western Carolina
2015 #20 Wisconsin Middle Tennessee Louisiana Monroe Charleston Southern
2016 #20 USC Western Kentucky Kent St. Chattanooga
2017 #3 FSU Fresno St. Colorado St. Mercer
2018 Lousiville Arkansas St. Louisiana   The Citadel
2019 Duke New Mexico St. Southern Miss Western Carolina
2020 None      
2021 #14 Miami Mercer Southern Miss New Mexico St.
2022 Utah St. @ Texas UL Monroe Austin Peay
2023 Middle Tennessee Texas @ USF Chattanooga
2024 WKU USF @ Wisconsin Mercer
2025 @FSU ULM Wisconsin Eastern Illinois
2026 @WVU USF FSU  
2027 WVU @tOSU    
2028 tOSU UT Martin @ Oklahoma ST.   
2029 @ Notre Dame Oklahoma St.    
2030 @ Georgia Tech Notre Dame    
2031 Georgia Tech @ BC    
2032 Arizona @ Minnesota    
2033 @ Arizona Minnesota    
2034 @ Va Tech BC    
2035 Virginia Tech      
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This take is not a diss on OOC scheduling but a take on the Texas Tech QB situation and Oregon meeting up with an old friend.

Tyler Shough has been named Texas Tech's starting quarterback for the 3rd season in a row. Shough is 8-0 in games that he has started and finished at QB for Tech.  

Shough missed 4 games last season with a bad shoulder but came back and was the MVP of Tech's decisive Texas Bowl defeat of Ole Miss. In 2022 he helped Tech run the most plays from scrimmage in the G5/P5.

This is Tyler's 6th season of college football! Shough played at Oregon for 3 seasons where he went 5-2 as a starter and led the team to a conference championship. 

No doubt Tyler will be fired up to face his old team.

• Go Ducks! 1

After nearly 2 years, we got a future schedule update involving UO, the bad thing is that it involves a FCS team...

https://fbschedules.com/oregon-adds-eastern-washington-to-2027-football-schedule/

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

After nearly 2 years, we got a future schedule update involving UO, the bad thing is that it involves a FCS team...

https://fbschedules.com/oregon-adds-eastern-washington-to-2027-football-schedule/

Yep. Mullins has said he wants an easy FCS game a year, a lower to middle team from the power-five per year, and a decent power five team on the schedule for non-conference.

This is what he said, not me!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

E WA, Utah St, and a visit to Waco? 

I understand the thought process that made sense when the playoff had 4 teams but with 12 teams starting in 2024, I'm not sure that this scheduling model makes sense. 

Not one of these games will come close to the magic 4M viewer number. 

BTW, does anyone know what it will cost Ohio State to buy out of the return game owed Oregon? With the LA schools coming on board tOSU didn't wait long to pay UW $500K to buy out of the 2024/25 home-and-home series. Just like the Buckeyes to wait a year prior before giving Oregon the scheduling shaft.

Oregon’s 2020 home game against Ohio State was canceled, but the two schools agreed on a resolution to the home-and-home series that was interrupted by the pandemic.  Ohio State paid Oregon $3.5 million for Sept. 11, 2021 game in Columbus, Ohio, in lieu of rescheduling the 2020 game.

Oregon and Ohio State also agreed to another home-and-home series in 2032 (Eugene) and 2033 (Columbus).

If tOSU attempts to cancel 2032, I would suggest Mullens tell them "that will be $3.5 million, plus inflation" rather than a "mutually agreed" cancellation of both 2032 and 2033.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Ducks complete 2027 nonconference football schedule

Oregon has completed its 2027 nonconference football schedule.

The Ducks will host Eastern Washington at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 4, 2027 in what will be the third meeting between the teams all-time and second in six years.

UO will pay EWU $600,000 for the season-opening game, according to the game contract provided to The Oregonian/OregonLive in response to a public records request. That’s less than the $635,000 Oregon paid Eastern Washington for last season’s game on Sept. 10, 2022.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Ducks will host Eastern Washington at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 4, 2027.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Auburn plays at CAL this season in the 1st of an H+H series. Bama has an H+H scheduled with Arizona. LSU has an H+H scheduled with CU. AZ is at Mississippi St in a return game. All of these games, even the AZ game, will draw more viewers than Oregon at TX Tech which is being played at the same time Texas plays at Alabama. 

The difference between these games and these teams coming to Eugene is other than Alabama all of these SEC team are LIKELY TO LOSE at Autzen and Alabama probably doesn't have much more than a 50/50 chance of winning.

All of these SEC team with maybe the exception of Auburn will be favored to win these games on the road. They don't want to come to Oregon because they don't want to go home with an L. 

Now I hope they all go home with their tails tucked between their legs, whimpering after a loss out west, but playing at Colorado, Cal and Arizona is a lot different from playing at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, OhioDuck said:

The difference between these games and these teams coming to Eugene is other than Alabama all of these SEC team are LIKELY TO LOSE at Autzen and Alabama probably doesn't have much more than a 50/50 chance of winning.

All of these SEC team with maybe the exception of Auburn will be favored to win these games on the road. They don't want to come to Oregon because they don't want to go home with an L. 

Now I hope they all go home with their tails tucked between their legs, whimpering after a loss out west, but playing at Colorado, Cal and Arizona is a lot different from playing at Oregon.

Terrific thoughts but I note that Florida is and will be the dog when it visits Salt Lake City. The last two games Cal played against the SEC were victories over Ole Miss. 

Personally, I feel that Georgia has eclipsed Bama as the IT program in the SEC. And I also think that LSU is closing in on The Tide. 

Below are the top out-of-conference games in 2024.

Clemson vs Georgia/ Miami at Florida/ Notre Dame at A+M/ USC vs LSU in Las Vegas/ Texas at Michigan/ Alabama at Wisconsin/ UCLA at LSU and a kind of OOC game will see FSU at Notre Dame in November. 

Meanwhile, Oregon plays Texas Tech. An upcoming B12 program but the game will draw nowhere close to the eyeballs the games listed above will draw. And a win over TT in Autzen will not help Oregon's SOS when it comes to a 12-team playoff. I expect, finally, that SOS will matter to the playoff committee when it comes to seeding the 12-team field and determining the at-large teams. The Ducks in-conference schedule is already taking an SOS hit with the LA schools going away. And I think we will all be shocked if the committee does not favor B1G and SEC teams. I find it interesting that in 2024 both LA schools are playing LSU.

Look at the above list. 7 of the 8 games involve SEC teams that certainly run the risk of taking a loss from every opponent on the above list. The SEC is scheduling like this not because it will perhaps stay with 8 conference games in 2024 but because they know that SOS will matter come 2024. A close loss to a highly ranked opponent out-of-conference is likely to matter more than a win against a team that is an underdog.

Charles has correctly pointed out that viewer numbers should trump media market numbers when it comes to valuing Oregon.  Oregon was the 7th most-watched team in the nation in 2022 because it played Georgia in Atlanta. Even with the beat down in Georgia, Oregon was in the Final 4 mix with a suspect D before losing close and winnable games to UW and Oregon State. Oregon also had terrific viewer numbers in 2021 when it played Ohio State in Columbus. Texas Tech? Baylor? Oklahoma State?

I could not come close to doing the job that Rob is doing in Eugene including making a great baseball coach hire but I think the next 6 seasons are predicted on yesterday's 4 team playoff field and not the expanded playoff field. The art of the deal is important when it comes to scheduling and I think Rob settled for the next 6 OOC games rather than trying to sell Oregon. Oregon has a great brand but it will not sell itself.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Oregon Ducks complete 2027 nonconference football schedule

Oregon has completed its 2027 nonconference football schedule.

The Ducks will host Eastern Washington at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 4, 2027 in what will be the third meeting between the teams all-time and second in six years.

UO will pay EWU $600,000 for the season-opening game, according to the game contract provided to The Oregonian/OregonLive in response to a public records request. That’s less than the $635,000 Oregon paid Eastern Washington for last season’s game on Sept. 10, 2022.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Ducks will host Eastern Washington at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 4, 2027.

Why not give the cash to Portland State?

On 6/14/2023 at 7:46 AM, OhioDuck said:

I still heavily hope an SEC team gets as brave as Tennessee was in 2010 and 2013 and finally schedules the Ducks, if we get Bama vs. UO (even as a post-season game), I'll die a happy man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe Rob learned the lesson from last year's Georgia matchup?  🫢

In some ways, it makes sense to play Power-5 teams that are more winnable for OBD at this point.  Let's try to make it to the Playoff a few more times before challenging the top SEC teams in these early season matchups.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:37 AM, JB89 said:

FBSCHEDULES.COM

The joke of SEC league scheduling.

Alabama and Georgia will meet during the 2024 regular season in Tuscaloosa, which will be only their fifth regular-season matchup in the past 20 years, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

• Wow 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:46 AM, DuckFan93 said:

Maybe Rob learned the lesson from last year's Georgia matchup?  🫢

In some ways, it makes sense to play Power-5 teams that are more winnable for OBD at this point.  Let's try to make it to the Playoff a few more times before challenging the top SEC teams in these early season matchups.

The three (or technically six) consecutive Big 12 matchups were scheduled around the same time as the Georgia kickoff game, I know there's still some sour memories of that UGA game, but I'm still heavily supporting the idea of Oregon scheduling a SEC home and home series in the 2030's

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, armchairgenious said:

The games at Boise State, 2025 and Utah State, 2028 are part of 2 for 1 deals. We get Boise State at home in 24 & 26 and Utah State at home in 27 & 29.

Maybe getting Boise isn't such a bad draw afterall. Jon's right in that it won't draw the viewership a game against Tennessee or Florida would, but if I remember correctly BSU is predicted to meet us in a NY's 6 game this year.  If they're good enough to be the preseason G5 pick for a NY6 Bowl, then they should be good enough to be ranked and move the needle as a quality opponent in the eyes of the selection committee...

*Note - IF playing Georgia was good enough to boost our viewership last year, then beating BSU to get to a playoff spot should be good enough to get us more eyeballs in a playoff matchup. The game itself may not garner the views, but if it helps our SoS and gets us in the playoff, then it has served its purpose*