1Funduck

Oregon Only Worth about $3 million per Game

I've been thinking of the Bloviating across all these message boards. From Sports Writers to the average message board poster, like me. Everyone has an opinion to the value of the PAC. But, feeling the mood drift lower for the value of said PAC and I'm starting to wonder what value is media assigning to PAC content?

If the PAC can't get what the Big12 gets in $31+ million per school, Is Oregon really only worth about $2.5-$3 million per football game? Is U$C really worth upwards of $5million per game? Oregon is worth 1/2 of U$C? Absurd! U$C can't get volunteers to come and keep the seats occupied for free, any given Saturday, in the Fall.

That lead me down the path of finding how many viewers and how that would equate to dollars.

I stumbled upon an article by 'Zach Miller' dated 12/01/21, it states that, coming in ranked at #10, University of Oregon has 2.57 million viewers watching their football games. UCLA was next up at #29 at 1.18 million viewers and USC at #32 at 1.11 million viewers. OREGON LAPS BOTH USC AND UCLA COMBINED!!

So, who wants to watch College Football? Who will turn on their Linear/Streaming service for a nice afternoon BBQ at your buddy's house with a cold one in hand and cheering on their favorite team? Maybe a better question is, will the MidWest really care enough to watch UCLA and USC? I'm sure it will garner attention and definitely increase overall viewership for both schools. Will it increase by double what it was just 18 months ago?

Will they catch Oregon....combined? 

UCLA  and USC will be awarded approximately $60 million per year in the near future. Oregon is worth more combined. Don't be silly, Oregon isn't worth $120 million per year. The BiG chose poorly. The LA market doesn't watch their sports enough to be paid. Schools should be paid on viewership period. 

For reference, Oregon/Ohio St had 7.73 million viewers which ranked #8 in most watched for the year.

#28 Oregon @ Utah for 4.82 million viewers

#30 Washington @ Michigan 4.75 million viewers

#35 Texas A&M @ Colorado 4.5 million viewers

That's 4 games above 4 million viewers and UCLA nor USC are anywhere to be found. In fact, UCLA fans can't even find the Rose Bowl.

This makes me all the more appreciative that 'Uncle Phil' has been behind 'THE University of Oregon' athletics and supporting them when there is disparity that leaves you shaking your head. Grateful when I attend a game that Autzen is Full. Grateful that I get to sing 'Coming Home' and 'Shout'. 

Where will Oregon be in 3-4 years? Truly, does it even matter? We will be in a Power conference. Oregon will most likely never be paid according to viewership. Sad, but true.

We 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

It seems I have to post this nearly every week, but Oregon's global fan base is over 5 million, larger than Alabama, Georgia, USC, Texas A&M, and you see all the rest in the article below.

I also believe that since the Pac-12 Network has not been available to the majority of Oregon fans in all sports--that once we have a streaming source for all sports--our actual audience watching will double over the next five years and we will get the revenue flow from whatever conference we go with at that time.

The Oregon Brand is strong, we'll be fine.

BUCKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The top 16 fan bases in college football make up 50% of all fans. Here’s how it breaks down with Ohio State looking massive. #GoBucks

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Here is more recent data from 2022. Note how I put Rutgers in bold at #58. They got invited to the B1G in recent history. It's all because they are close to the NYC market. Their stadium is under 30 miles to Manhattan, so transplant fans can go root for their team (not Rutgers itself).

A lot goes into this stuff. The B1G cares about cornering the LA market, and much less so about UCLA football, for instance. What will help Oregon and Washington go to the B1G isn't just their decent numbers, but because the B1G will want to give USC & UCLA a fairer travel schedule.   

Also note that UO and USC were virtually tied in viewers this past season. We get excellent viewership across the country, but we don't have a huge market to "conquer":

1. 1) Ohio State — 5.80M
  2. Alabama — 5.11M
  3. Michigan — 4.37M
  4. Tennessee — 4.13M
  5. Georgia — 3.50M
  6. Notre Dame — 3.30M
  7. LSU — 3.22M
  8. Texas — 3.06M
  9. Penn State — 3.05M
  10. Clemson — 2.59M
  11. Florida — 2.57M
  12. Oregon — 2.21M
  13. TCU — 2.20M
  14. Southern Cal — 2.07M
  15. 15) Florida State — 2.03M
  16. 25) UCLA — 1.591M
  17. 33) Utah — 1.16M
  18. 34) Washington — 1.15M
  19. 57) Oregon State — 625K
  20. 58) Rutgers — 618K

• Thumbs Up 1

Streaming is such a misty fog. I'm confident that Oregons viewership is going to sky rocket. How much? I truly have no idea. But, streaming will grab all those that have an internet connection. Thats about everyone but a few obscure Husky fans.

I've chirped about this before and I won't let up, not even for a second. Oregon NEEDS to play a game in the Asian theater. Period. 1 game each year. In fact, I would be happy with the conference playing 2 games a year in Asia. Take the Whole Weekend and rent a stadium. The PAC could put Oregon and some hapless team out there. Hawaii? Then put another team like the Huskies. Never bring a double header from the same state. Too confusing.

You would garner all of the Islanders attention and then over half the planets population in all of Asia. Rent the grandest stadiums. Like the Chinese Lotus Stadium that seats 100,000. Make it a week long event. Pomp and Circumstance with a Saturday then Sunday game to finish it off.

$100 a ticket is $10 million per game in tickets alone.  Make them the Season Opener for all of College Football. I'm confident that these games would pull in $10 million minimum for viewing. ESPN would cover it all week. The stories would be incredible. Great Wall of China...etc.etc.

Come on PAC...make the move and add monstrous value to the Conference of Champions.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, 1Funduck said:

Streaming is such a misty fog. I'm confident that Oregons viewership is going to sky rocket. How much? I truly have no idea. But, streaming will grab all those that have an internet connection. Thats about everyone but a few obscure Husky fans.

I've chirped about this before and I won't let up, not even for a second. Oregon NEEDS to play a game in the Asian theater. Period. 1 game each year. In fact, I would be happy with the conference playing 2 games a year in Asia. Take the Whole Weekend and rent a stadium. The PAC could put Oregon and some hapless team out there. Hawaii? Then put another team like the Huskies. Never bring a double header from the same state. Too confusing.

You would garner all of the Islanders attention and then over half the planets population in all of Asia. Rent the grandest stadiums. Like the Chinese Lotus Stadium that seats 100,000. Make it a week long event. Pomp and Circumstance with a Saturday then Sunday game to finish it off.

$100 a ticket is $10 million per game in tickets alone.  Make them the Season Opener for all of College Football. I'm confident that these games would pull in $10 million minimum for viewing. ESPN would cover it all week. The stories would be incredible. Great Wall of China...etc.etc.

Come on PAC...make the move and add monstrous value to the Conference of Champions.

This is a REALLY, REALLY good idea.  Talk about building a streaming audience!  Great stuff.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/5/2023 at 11:16 PM, 1Funduck said:

I've been thinking of the Bloviating across all these message boards. From Sports Writers to the average message board poster, like me. Everyone has an opinion to the value of the PAC. But, feeling the mood drift lower for the value of said PAC and I'm starting to wonder what value is media assigning to PAC content?

If the PAC can't get what the Big12 gets in $31+ million per school, Is Oregon really only worth about $2.5-$3 million per football game? Is U$C really worth upwards of $5million per game? Oregon is worth 1/2 of U$C? Absurd! U$C can't get volunteers to come and keep the seats occupied for free, any given Saturday, in the Fall.

That lead me down the path of finding how many viewers and how that would equate to dollars.

I stumbled upon an article by 'Zach Miller' dated 12/01/21, it states that, coming in ranked at #10, University of Oregon has 2.57 million viewers watching their football games. UCLA was next up at #29 at 1.18 million viewers and USC at #32 at 1.11 million viewers. OREGON LAPS BOTH USC AND UCLA COMBINED!!

So, who wants to watch College Football? Who will turn on their Linear/Streaming service for a nice afternoon BBQ at your buddy's house with a cold one in hand and cheering on their favorite team? Maybe a better question is, will the MidWest really care enough to watch UCLA and USC? I'm sure it will garner attention and definitely increase overall viewership for both schools. Will it increase by double what it was just 18 months ago?

Will they catch Oregon....combined? 

UCLA  and USC will be awarded approximately $60 million per year in the near future. Oregon is worth more combined. Don't be silly, Oregon isn't worth $120 million per year. The BiG chose poorly. The LA market doesn't watch their sports enough to be paid. Schools should be paid on viewership period. 

For reference, Oregon/Ohio St had 7.73 million viewers which ranked #8 in most watched for the year.

#28 Oregon @ Utah for 4.82 million viewers

#30 Washington @ Michigan 4.75 million viewers

#35 Texas A&M @ Colorado 4.5 million viewers

That's 4 games above 4 million viewers and UCLA nor USC are anywhere to be found. In fact, UCLA fans can't even find the Rose Bowl.

This makes me all the more appreciative that 'Uncle Phil' has been behind 'THE University of Oregon' athletics and supporting them when there is disparity that leaves you shaking your head. Grateful when I attend a game that Autzen is Full. Grateful that I get to sing 'Coming Home' and 'Shout'. 

Where will Oregon be in 3-4 years? Truly, does it even matter? We will be in a Power conference. Oregon will most likely never be paid according to viewership. Sad, but true.

We 

Great take, Thank you. 

What do the numbers look like for Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota? I believe this stat will be the relevant stat when it comes to Fox (CBS, NBC) deciding to pay to bring in Oregon and UW. 

Streaming entities may well pay the teams on revenue share and not simply a lump sum. Or, a combination of both. And this could well be one issue holding up the new conference media deal. 

Coincidentally, advertisers on streaming entities could also pay for ad time based on viewership.

Like NIKE's deal with Michael Jordan changed the model for income paid to athletes I expect we will see the same streaming sea change coming with the broadcast of college spots.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A week zero game would work, then take week 1 off and then have the 2nd game week 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any streaming deal that the Pac signs will feature the Ducks front and center as the biggest international brand the Pac has. If the deal includes payouts for viewership and UO becomes China's team, that could easily dwarf any payout the Big10 could offer.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, Tandaian said:

A week zero game would work, then take week 1 off and then have the 2nd game week 2.

And if you want the playoff field to go to 16 teams in 2026 with the attendant huge payoff why not play game one in the Spring Game versus an FCS opponent with game 2 being played in week 0? 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Hey 1Fun/duck, this was a really good and really smart article. thank you.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/6/2023 at 2:10 AM, 2002duck said:

Here is more recent data from 2022. Note how I put Rutgers in bold at #58. They got invited to the B1G in recent history. It's all because they are close to the NYC market. Their stadium is under 30 miles to Manhattan, so transplant fans can go root for their team (not Rutgers itself).

A lot goes into this stuff. The B1G cares about cornering the LA market, and much less so about UCLA football, for instance. What will help Oregon and Washington go to the B1G isn't just their decent numbers, but because the B1G will want to give USC & UCLA a fairer travel schedule.   

Also note that UO and USC were virtually tied in viewers this past season. We get excellent viewership across the country, but we don't have a huge market to "conquer":

1. 1) Ohio State — 5.80M
  2. Alabama — 5.11M
  3. Michigan — 4.37M
  4. Tennessee — 4.13M
  5. Georgia — 3.50M
  6. Notre Dame — 3.30M
  7. LSU — 3.22M
  8. Texas — 3.06M
  9. Penn State — 3.05M
  10. Clemson — 2.59M
  11. Florida — 2.57M
  12. Oregon — 2.21M
  13. TCU — 2.20M
  14. Southern Cal — 2.07M
  15. 15) Florida State — 2.03M
  16. 25) UCLA — 1.591M
  17. 33) Utah — 1.16M
  18. 34) Washington — 1.15M
  19. 57) Oregon State — 625K
  20. 58) Rutgers — 618K

Thank you! I am surprised to see TCU ranked so high and where in the heck is Oklahoma? 

Also surprised to see Utah slightly above UW. But it helps when you play Florida home and home.

No wonder Notre Dame is prized as a full-time conference member.

I made mention that the game would bring at least $10 million in media dollars. It would be quite interesting to see the actual pay out. Would you have 25 million viewers worldwide? 50?

The cash payout looks like it might be considerably higher

On 6/6/2023 at 12:10 AM, 2002duck said:

Also note that UO and USC were virtually tied in viewers this past season.

I have no sold data on this but I imagine USC probably had more prime time spots with more nationally televised games. Just the Noter Dame game, every year, alone should give them a major boost to there viewership numbers. 

As Charles has stated the PAC 12 Networks have done Oregon no favors in viewership numbers. Just have better distribution would increased the number substantially. 

Edited by Dave23

On 6/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Like NIKE's deal with Michael Jordan changed the model for income paid to athletes I expect we will see the same streaming sea change coming with the broadcast of college spots.

Only fitting that Oregon "Uncle Phil" be on the cutting edge again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2023 at 4:15 PM, Dave23 said:

USC probably had more prime time spots

Oregon had Georgia in the first week, which helped us a lot more than ND helped USC in viewers. USC also got the Pac-12 Championship game- so that kept them close. A lot of it will be that many people will tune in to see USC play the Michigan's and the Ohio State's of the B1G. I know I'll be watching. 

Not to say people won't do the same when Oregon moves east. Lots of fans (like myself) will want to tune in to see USC lose, and for Oregon to win (or lose).

On 6/7/2023 at 12:28 AM, 2002duck said:

Oregon had Georgia in the first week, which helped us a lot more than ND helped USC in viewers.

USC vs Notre Dame 6.68m

Oregon vs Georgia 6.2m

I should have been more concise in my original post. USC plays the team with the second largest fan base in all of college football every year at primetime on national TV. 

Living in Montana historically it been much easier to catch a USC game than an Oregon game on TV due to the coverage by the networks. All's I'm saying is Oregon should have more viewership than they do.

I for one will definitely not be watch USC vs Michigan or Ohio State. I would much rather watch two PAC teams play, that is if I can actually get them on the TV.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Dave23 said:

USC vs Notre Dame 6.68m

Oregon vs Georgia 6.2m

I should have been more concise in my original post. USC plays the team with the second largest fan base in all of college football every year at primetime on national TV. 

Living in Montana historically it been much easier to catch a USC game than an Oregon game on TV due to the coverage by the networks. All's I'm saying is Oregon should have more viewership than they do.

I for one will definitely not be watch USC vs Michigan or Ohio State. I would much rather watch two PAC teams play, that is if I can actually get them on the TV.

With a good streaming deal with Apple/Amazon, Pac-10 games will be available world wide and not just on a network with bad carriage agreements and 13M subscribers.

• Applause 1