Jon Joseph

College Football News - AP Poll and Bowl Game Projections

The following is from College Football News Pete Fiutak.

Projected Pac-12 teams in the AP Preseason yet to be released Top 25 -

5. USC

12. Oregon

14. Washington

15. Utah

18. Oregon State

Others Receiving Votes - UCLA  

25. Texas Tech

Bowl Projections -

Las Vegas - UCLA vs Kentucky

LA - Arizona vs SDSU

Independence - Washington State vs Cincinnati

Holiday - USC vs NC State

Alamo - Utah vs Oklahoma

Sun - Oregon State vs Louisville

NY6 -

Peach - LSU vs Michigan

Orange - FSU vs Penn State

Fiesta - Washington vs Notre Dame

Cotton - OREGON vs Boise State

Playoff - 

Rose - Alabama vs Ohio State

Sugar - Georgia vs Texas

2 NY6 bowls for the Pac would be nice. I think the Holiday projection for SC with Utah playing in the Alamo Bowl makes no sense with Utah playing SC in LA.

I do not see the loser of the Texas at Bama game making the final 4 and I think that LSU wins the SEC W.

What are your thoughts on these much too early predictions.

Edited by Smith72
Spelling

Texas is the old u$c of the Big 12, preseason hype, post season hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll agree that two NY6's is nice, but I'd want a better reward than BSU...and maybe I'm missing something painfully obvious here, but how is it that U$C is expected to finish better first in the PAC, but they don't get a NY6 invite while us and the Fuskies do? 

I have zero issues with Georgia and O-H-I-O St

I'd bet now that 'Bama doesn't get an earned invite to the playoff as they'll drop 2 or 3 this year and LSU will win the SEC-W.  Texas doesn't even belong in the conversation...they aren't 'baaaaack' yet.

If it's accurate, I look forward to seeing the Utes stomp a mudhole in the Sooners back side...Sooner fans are as bad as Fusky and U$C fans...

I do like Jed Fisch and the boys getting some love and projected to be bowl eligible. De Laura is gonna sling it all over down there and I like the probably future PAC matchup against SDSU.

And finally I see they don't think Dante is gonna immediately fill in DTR's old shoes. Chip takes a step back this season w/o his 15th year senior QB and while I still like CK, any misfortune that can fall on the boys of LA, I'm here for it.

• Applause 1

Texas will go 8-4, USuC will not finish top 10, nor make a NY6 bowl.  Holiday bowl maybe.  Mutts will be 9-3

I agree LSU wins SEC West.  Not so sure tOSU will be in the playoff.  PSU and MI may beat each other up

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2023 at 2:55 PM, Wrathis said:

I'll agree that two NY6's is nice, but I'd want a better reward than BSU...and maybe I'm missing something painfully obvious here, but how is it that U$C is expected to finish better first in the PAC, but they don't get a NY6 invite while us and the Fuskies do? 

I have zero issues with Georgia and O-H-I-O St

I'd bet now that 'Bama doesn't get an earned invite to the playoff as they'll drop 2 or 3 this year and LSU will win the SEC-W.  Texas doesn't even belong in the conversation...they aren't 'baaaaack' yet.

If it's accurate, I look forward to seeing the Utes stomp a mudhole in the Sooners back side...Sooner fans are as bad as Fusky and U$C fans...

I do like Jed Fisch and the boys getting some love and projected to be bowl eligible. De Laura is gonna sling it all over down there and I like the probably future PAC matchup against SDSU.

And finally I see they don't think Dante is gonna immediately fill in DTR's old shoes. Chip takes a step back this season w/o his 15th year senior QB and while I still like CK, any misfortune that can fall on the boys of LA, I'm here for it.

All great thoughts.

Apparently, Fiutak believes that Boise will be the highest-rated G5 team and receive the NY6 invitation. I think Boise will struggle to win the MW and there is a good chance that the AAC champ claims the G5 spot; maybe Tulane repeats. 

He predicts that Oregon will get the short end of the stick and draw Boise in the Cotton Bowl. Going against Andy Avalos. 

UW in the Fiesta Bowl vs Notre Dame = UW defeats Oregon for the conference title but does not make the Final 4. Not sure that UW will win the game at USC. I think that UW will win the Utah game in Seattle and that Oregon has a very good chance to win at Utah that I see losing to SC in LA. 

My guess is that Oregon will play SC for the title in a rematch. Tough game for Oregon coming off the Civil War game vs OR St while SC is idle the week prior to the Pac champ game. (Thank you Pac-12.)

Entirely agree with your take on Texas. I don't see Texas winning in Tuscaloosa whereas I can see LSU defeating Bama in Tuscaloosa and playing Georgia in the SEC title game in the last season the SEC will have divisions.

I think the Pac missing out on the final Final 4 is a good call seeing how deep the conference will be in 2023. I think that no Pac-12 team will finish with fewer than 2 losses. 

On 6/8/2023 at 12:00 PM, JDuck said:

Texas will go 8-4, USuC will not finish top 10, nor make a NY6 bowl.  Holiday bowl maybe.  Mutts will be 9-3

Good.  They aren't paying

attention to the Ducks...

giphy.gif

I never said I was noble...

• Haha 6

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/8/2023 at 3:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Good.  They aren't paying

attention to the Ducks...

giphy.gif

I never said I was noble...

It's a shame that dog wasn't a husky!

• Applause 1

What is this world coming to ? The Beav's in a pre-season poll ? Good Gosh of Moses, the end is near ! !

• Haha 2

Here is Athlon Sports take.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Do you remember back when you were growing up before the internet was a few taps of the finger away from your reach? It...

On 6/9/2023 at 10:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Here is Athlon Sports take.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Do you remember back when you were growing up before the internet was a few taps of the finger away from your reach? It...

My thoughts, FWIW.

Six Pac-12 teams are ranked. Half of the conference. 

4 USC - overrated. I'm not convinced that with Grinch as the DC that SC will ever play good enough D to reach the Final 4 and starting in 2024, to win the B1G. 

9 UW - Yes, UW gets Utah and Oregon in Seattle but has to play USC in LA.

10 Utah - looking at the schedule, Utah is overrated. Florida in Salt Lake and Baylor in Waco out-of-conference (OOC.) At UW and USC and Oregon at home. And a big question mark regarding the health of Rising.

13. Oregon - Based on the Blue Chip Roster ranking and this being Coach Lanning's 2nd season and with Nix back, the Ducks IMO should be the top or second-ranked team in the Pac-12. 

19. Oregon State - With 3 G5 opponents OOC and playing UCLA, Utah, and Washington in Corvallis and missing USC, the Beavers could well be underrated. Is DJU the answer at QB? 

24. UCLA - Squishy soft OOC schedule and one of the easiest slates in the conference. But will it be enough to get UCLA into the top 25? I see the Beavers taking down the Bruins in Corvallis,

National Question Marks. 

7 FSU - 12 Clemson - FSU opens with LSU and has to trip to Clemson. I see Clemson, with Notre Dame also playing in Clemson, winning the ACC. FSU will go bowling but in many respects, FSU is this season's 2022 Texas A+M.

5 Ohio State - 2 Michigan - I know the game is in Ann Arbor and I know Ohio State will have a new QB throwing to the best WR crew in CFB but Michigan plays top 10 Penn State in Happy Valley and Ohio State gets PSU at home. Ohio State has the far harder OOC schedule playing at Notre Dame but I think that the Buckeyes win in Ann Arbor and win the B1G title. 

3 Alabama - 6 LSU - Yes, LSU plays in Tuscaloosa but this is Brian Kelly's 2nd season and LSU returns the SEC's best starting QB in Daniels. If Quinn Ewers can stay on the field for 4Qs Texas will give Bama a battle in Tuscaloosa. 

23 Tulane is the highest-ranked G5 team, the presumptive AAC champ, and is projected to go back-to-back in NY6 Bowl appearances. 

My Final 4 - (again, FWIW)

Rose Bowl - 2. Ohio State vs. 3. LSU

Sugar Bowl - 1. Georgia vs 4. Clemson

With 5 and often 6 teams ranked in the preseason and playing 9 conference games, I do not see a Pac-12 team finishing with fewer than 2 losses.

• Thumbs Up 1

All-time AP Top 25. Oregon is in Others Receiving Votes. SC and UW make the top 25.

https://collegefootballnews.com/rankings/ap-poll-top-25-all-time-preseason-college-football-rankings

The AP must not have gotten the memo. The preseason rankings always must start with:

1 USC

1 fuskies

3-25 don’t matter

• Haha 1