FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: The Next Kayvon Thibodeaux

Our Oregon Ducks football program has needed a spark on the defensive line since Kayvon Thibodeaux’s departure last offseason, and it looks like the Ducks are going to reignite that fire in 2023. While Thibodeaux was one of the best things to hit the streets of Eugene since Voodoo Donuts, replacing his services wasn’t going to be accomplished overnight. Following ...

R
FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program has needed a spark on the defensive line since Kayvon Thibodeaux's departure last offseason, and it...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex, it's always great to read about our Duck football players.  I agree with you, "Fortunately, I don’t think we need to wait until 2024. I see the next Thibodeaux-esque players as already being on the Ducks’ roster."

After watching the Spring game I came away impressed with the improvement in all areas of the defense.  Jordan Burch #1 will have immediate impact on Pac-12 offenses!  He looked NFL ready.

I was also impressed with all the coverage by the secondary contesting passes and making tight windows difficult to pass into.

We will see a much improved Coach Lanning defense this season.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree it will take a committee to fill the roles needed to create havoc. One guy you didn't mention is Jordan Burch, a player who came to Oregon to renew his reputation. 

Much like Nix did coming to Oregon, Burch has a chance to become the player many thought he was going to become. I look for Burch to be an integral seasoned player for the defense, and the development of players like Mateyo.

Thibs had a hard time staying healthy, missed the tosu game, and if Jacobs stays healthy he may be another player who lifts our defense, and helps build the future defense with his leadership. 

The future looks bright with the new guys coming in, but we need some new seasoned blood to help get us there.

• Go Ducks! 1

There will be a couple true freshmen who will make a big splash this fall, as well as some of the transfers, on both sides of the ball.  Defense in particular.  Lanning has his type of players who fit his scheme better on D.  I see a drastic improvement over last year, and the Offense will be record setting.  Civil War game...Mateo sacks his brother. 

Your description of a pick 6 gave me an additional fantasy.  Mateo steps around about to make another sack and DJ doesn't see him as he tries to flick a quick screen out to the edge.  Short range snag, bobble, grab and run.  Dorlus coming around pancakes DJ with a block as DJ tries to go tackle his brother to prevent the TD.

This year is gonna be great

• Thumbs Up 1

Noah Sewell will definitely be missed as a leader but easily replaced talent-wise. I believe DL will be shooting for Noah Sewell level talent as the floor for his linebacker corps.

Justin Flowe. Boy, this is one that has me scratching my head. From a leadership standpoint I guess I can see him as being missed in that role. He could definitely fire up a group with his energy alone. However, it just never seemed to click with this guy. From blown reads to over running his targets, this guy just couldn't process what the scheme asked of him. He did hit like a tank and could knock down the Jumbo-tron as long as it didn't take a step to the right.

I too believe we have the talent this year just waiting to be realized when the season comes. Jordan Burch is going to force double teams that open up the LBs to do their thing. If everything clicks for Matayo this season I think we may be in for some exciting times on the defensive side of the ball.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really didn't see Noah or Justin as true leaders.

Leaders lead by example, not just rah rah.  Sewell never reached his potential and Flowe seems to be a hot head with too many questionable hits.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

One can only hope. . . 

IMG_1193.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

As mentioned in other posts--I think we have a perfect combo on the defensive line this year of veteran talent from transfers that will improve the pass rush, along with so many freshmen who will gradually make their place for the future.

I felt that Burch and Matayo could set up Dorlus and Rogers with the pass rush, but I forgot one other senior returning who is a proven talent....Popo!

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

We are going to have a very deep and talented defensive line in 2023!  (Great article Alex!)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/28/2023 at 1:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As mentioned in other posts--I think we have a perfect combo on the defensive line this year of veteran talent from transfers that will improve the pass rush, along with so many freshmen who will gradually make their place for the future.

I felt that Burch and Matayo could set up Dorlus and Rogers with the pass rush, but I forgot one other senior returning who is a proven talent....Popo!

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

We are going to have a very deep and talented defensive line in 2023!  (Great article Alex!)

Popo is the player I am excited to see on the field this year. This Dude is nasty and mean. Last year was stolen from him, denied a breakout year with injury.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, Log Haulin said:

Popo is the player I am excited to see on the field this year. This Dude is nasty and mean. Last year was stolen from him, denied a breakout year with injury.

That picture above is from the 2019 victory in Seattle, and Popo made the sack on this play that set Washington too far back for them  to complete the comeback.  So cool...

Mr. FishDuck

Funa has shown glimpses of greatness. This really could be the year he puts it all together. We will be watching him on Sunday next year.

I concur that Sewell never reached his potential although he became a good player. It seemed as if he was asked to be mainly a run stopper in the Oregon scheme and he was good at it.

As for Flowe, I think that he was badly overrated as a 5-star high school recruit. This is heresay so take it for what it is worth, but at least two people  with alleged insider information  said that 

Georgia quit recruiting Flowe after a couple workouts because the belief that he wasn't good enough to be a first-line contributor there and there were multiple guys that they liked better. 

As Georgia recruited Sewell hard and wanted him, Flowe was almost never mentioned that year.

I’m sure a lot of programs were turned off on Flowe because of his injury problems his whole career.

If he can stay healthy, big if, he will help Zonas defense considerably.