Charles Fischer

Pac-12 Media Contract: Bigger Money, Multiple Streaming Partners Projected...

On 7/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Author:  Facouk Yusaf?

Source: Jim Williams?

I was curious about Sportskeeda and looked into it.  What caught my eye is this excerpt from Sportskeeda from Caleb Gebrewold who supposedly gleamed it from Canzano's article "San Diego State Stays Put....For Now"

Not sure what all Canzano said since it was behind a pay wall.  If someone has a payed subscription to John Canzano's articles can verify this.

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

Caleb Gebrewold is a Analyst @Sportskeeda. Catch all the coverage from Caleb Gebrewold and subscribe for future articles and news coverage

From Caleb Gebrewold of Sportskeeda:

Pac-12 media rights delay due to 2024 College Football Playoff expansion? Insider John Canzano explains the financial windfall of 2024

The Pac-12 is the only Power Five conference that remains without a long-term media rights deal. 

The conference will face major changes in 2024 as the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans will leave for the Big Ten. Furthermore, the College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams from the current four-team format, giving more programs an opportunity to reach the postseason. 

Take a look at how that could affect the media rights deal below.

How could the College Football Playoff expansion affect the Pac-12 media rights deal?

The College Football Playoff will expand by eight teams in 2024 as the field grows from four to 12 teams for the first time. John Canzano recently explained how the expansion could affect the Pac-12 media rights deal, stating:

"It could be that they've discovered a financial advantage to waiting another year to invite two new members. The College Football Playoff is expanding for the 2024 season. The new TV deal is going to bring a windfall to the conferences that participate. Is it possible the Pac-12 doesn't want to split those first-year shares 12 ways vs. 10?"

He added:

"That it's waiting because doing so helps make up for the haircut they took in the Comcast overpayment fiasco? A veteran college administrator (not from the Pac-12) floated that theory to me on Friday as the news about San Diego State landed.
"He offered that being without Southern California as part of the Pac-12 for one football season wouldn't kill you on the recruiting or TV-deal fronts." [h/t Trojan Wire]

While the conference has had just two appearances in the nine years of the College Football Playoff, that could certainly change with an expanded postseason field. In 2022, two schools finished outside the top four but in the top 12 of the final rankings.

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

The Pac-12 is the only Power Five conference that remains without a long-term media rights deal.

If any of this comes out to be true could explain the weirdness of SDSU staying put for now with the MW.  As well as the conference not coming out yet with the media deal.

At this time no news outlet has any insight as to what is going on.  Pac-12 conference is silent on the media front.  These outlets/analyst are just trying to fill that void with innuendos/opinions of what they think might be happening.  But we can look to Insiders, like Canzano and Wilner, who most likely be the first to know.

At this moment what we can get excited about is the future of Oregon football.  Oregon is a national brand with the seventh largest fanbase.  We've got a great head coach in Dan Lanning who believes in this brand.  He is building a national caliber team through recruiting and the transfer portal.  He knows what it will take to get us to the promise land called the "12 team playoffs" year in and year out.

I love the diversity of what everyone brings to the table to talk about in this great platform called the OBD forum.  We have great articles flowing into the forum on a daily basis to read about our Ducks.  Wonderful write ups like the one below to get excited about.  

I am so glad to be a part of this community of passionate Duck fans.  Go Ducks, Fly High!

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon does have a freak problem with their football team. It is not a bizarre problem, but one that is unusual because of what Dan Lanning is trying to achieve…

• Like 1

IF the PAC is waiting to invite SDSU so the remaining 10 can catch a bigger windfall and/or use that money to fix LS's Comcast foul ups, I get it but respectfully disagree. While it's true that SDSU almost certainly won't make the playoff this season, treating them like a second-class citizen might bite us in the backside. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we need them and SMU/whomever as much as they need us.

We need the media rights they offer and  the recruiting access into the SoCal/Texas recruiting grounds. I really do get why we might withhold their invite, but to me it seems we're playing with fire, especially with the B12 looming and threatening to take chunks away... 

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwA6co1oAg

"I would not want to be part of the PAC12. The future is bleak." per Paul Finebaum.

He isn't too hot on the ACC either.  

• Yikes! 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:30 AM, Wrathis said:

treating them like a second-class citizen might bite us in the backside.

That is how Utah and Colorado were treated when they joined.

Still not worrying about things beyond my control (which is why I had to start worrying).

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Thru all the confusion of the PAC, including media rights, expansion et al.......

One thing has been constant since day one. There would be no expansion invites until the media rights contracts are signed and completed.

Even on the OBDF, we have gone from SDSU/SMU have been invited to somehow the PAC has withdrawn their invites..... .

Maybe I missed a article or a PAC 10 statement that announced this but i fear we are getting off course here.

Neither school has received an invite. The PAC Presidents gave GK permission to explore expansion possibilities with 4 schools. Explore but no invites..........

If i missed the official invites can someone please direct me to the srticle or statement. I refuse to worry about something that doesnt exist, at this point.

Too much doom and gloom going around when in fact we should be dancing in the streets over DL and staff's monster 2024 class.

GO DUCKS........

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, Wrathis said:

IF the PAC is waiting to invite SDSU so the remaining 10 can catch a bigger windfall and/or use that money to fix LS's Comcast foul ups, I get it but respectfully disagree. While it's true that SDSU almost certainly won't make the playoff this season, treating them like a second-class citizen might bite us in the backside. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we need them and SMU/whomever as much as they need us.

We need the media rights they offer and  the recruiting access into the SoCal/Texas recruiting grounds. I really do get why we might withhold their invite, but to me it seems we're playing with fire, especially with the B12 looming and threatening to take chunks away... 

Pretty simple economic equation. More money if you stay as is and split the money 10 ways or more money by adding the San Diego and DFW markets and splitting 12 ways? I fully expect this to be a media partner and not a Pac-10 presidential call.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Pretty simple economic equation. More money if you stay as is and split the money 10 ways or more money by adding the San Diego and DFW markets and splitting 12 ways? I fully expect this to be a media partner and not a Pac-10 presidential call.

I think short run... More money as a PAC-10 .... Long run I think they'll need SDSU and SMU who will both start as a bit of a drag as neither are going to field power five teams in football right away and football is the biggest moneymaker. 

But given 5 years, I think they'll both be on good shape with conference and building fan fan bases. 

Utah took a good 5 years to build up their football program. 

Colorado... Well they had a good season... And we'll have to see if they can have a second good season since joining the conference... But the funny thing is that Colorado was already power five!!!

Edited by David Marsh
  • Thumbs Up 1

This IMO is over the top but the author is not alone in questioning the long-term viability of College GameDay. He also points out how Reece Davis has been too critical of the Pac-12 and not other CFB conferences. FYI, Reece is an Alabama graduate.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/future-of-espns-college-gameday-feared-to-be-in-jeopardy

Edited by Jon Joseph

GameDay has become too bloated with fill material.  It should be shortened by an hour.

If it started one hour later that would probably assist in considering more Pacific Time Zone venues as an option.  I don't blame the staff for avoiding the early Pacific Zone hour they have to get out of bed, leave the hotel, etc. to make the East Coast start time.  An hour later might soften their objections.

But, knowing ESPN, if they shortened it an hour they would probably keep the same start time and require the kickoffs to begin an hour earlier.

Over time, it has become a promo for ESPN affiliated games.  As frustrating as that is for us Pac-12 fans, it probably makes financial sense to them.   And, that is why Commissioner K should be doing whatever he can to get a linear deal with ESPN.  Unfortunately, with ESPN's staff cuts, budget reductions, etc. that ship may have sailed.

GameDay likely has higher production costs when it sends the crew, equipment, etc. to the West Coast and diminished coverage of the West is probably somewhat related.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:48 AM, HDuck said:

GameDay has become too bloated with fill material.  It should be shortened by an hour.

If it started one hour later that would probably assist in considering more Pacific Time Zone venues as an option.  I don't blame the staff for avoiding the early Pacific Zone hour they have to get out of bed, leave the hotel, etc. to make the East Coast start time.  An hour later might soften their objections.

But, knowing ESPN, if they shortened it an hour they would probably keep the same start time and require the kickoffs to begin an hour earlier.

Over time, it has become a promo for ESPN affiliated games.  As frustrating as that is for us Pac-12 fans, it probably makes financial sense to them.   And, that is why Commissioner K should be doing whatever he can to get a linear deal with ESPN.  Unfortunately, with ESPN's staff cuts, budget reductions, etc. that ship may have sailed.

GameDay likely has higher production costs when it sends the crew, equipment, etc. to the West Coast and diminished coverage of the West is probably somewhat related.

I've only watched college game day ONCE and the first time I watched it was this last season for the Oregon v UCLA game. And that was only because I was up with my daughter, who was 6 months old at the time, so I was actually awake for it. 

Otherwise I can't be bothered to get up for a program that has all its focus on the east coast. 

You brought up a critical point... It's a program designed for the east coast and it excluded with west coast.

It's also a timely program in that there is 0 pointing watching a rebroadcast because actual football is on. 

I think FOX is slightly more cleaver with their big noon kickoff because if there is a game that the west coast really wants to watch, relatively rare, we'll be up for it because it's an actual game and not just talk about games, which we've had all week and potentially all off season. 

This all does highlight how the potentially break up of the PAC could be a killer for west coast football on the whole, it's all focused on the east coast and we've been pushed more to the status of an after thought and late night filler content than a market. 

Its just my opinion, for what its worth, that certain portions of the potential PAC10 media rights deal will be ground breaking for CF and the conference.

What kind of money that generates is unknown to us, at this point.

Strapped for cash, Disney/ESPN/ABC could find the Tier 2 rights much more affordable and profitable. I cannot fathom ESPN vacating after dark games on Friday/Saturday nights. They should not expect to have Oregon, Washington or Utah on their linear feeds unless they pay more and they start those games no later than 7:00 pm est/4:00 pm pst

Those 3 schools are the prime time schools for the PAC and ESPN should pay more to broadcast. Afterall ESPN is a sports progamming network, they should start acting like it.....

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.......

GO DUCKS.......

You know they say the PAC12 Network reaches about 15 million people. With millions more finding it difficult to find PAC games.

Just consider this thought and for goodness sake this is not fact or sourced. What if the PAC12 Network became a subscription based streamer. If 15 million people paid $6 per month for all PAC sports that would be $90 million a month or $1.08 billion annually. Annually. ....

Of course their are expenses to operate and the need for a platform carrier. However, if expenses, fees, taxes, etc. were $50 million a month that leaves $480 million a year to divide.

Now remember this is just a thought not a rumor or fact. But the PAC should be thinking about whats best for the future, control its own destiny........ be bold and lead the way.

I would pay a monthly fee....

Because, on a personal level, i could care less about the other 4-P5 conferences. Why? Because they could care less about us.....

GO DUCKS AND GO PAC......

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:13 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Just consider this thought and for goodness sake this is not fact or sourced. What if the PAC12 Network became a subscription based streamer. If 15 million people paid $6 per month for all PAC sports that would be $90 million a month or $1.08 billion annually. Annually. ....

Not sure if they'd get enough people buying in for the year. I'd probably only do it for the season.

However, the biggest problem right now is access to the network so I'd there was a streaming option that you could buy and stream the network that would be a huge lift. 

I don't have cable, nor do I want to buy cable for the football season, there are plenty of options right now to get all the foot all channels via streaming, even if it is YouTube tv which is basically streaming cable. But what I can't get is the pac-12 network easily... I think FUBO has a low resolution version and sling has it but I haven't heard great things about either avenue. 

Now, if you have a VPN you can access the network by going to another country and then streaming it on regular YouTube. 

But otherwise ... You're really out of luck. And this basically applies for other who have dish and want access to the network but can't. 

Access is key, however that access works. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, David Marsh said:

I've only watched college game day ONCE and the first time I watched it was this last season for the Oregon v UCLA game. And that was only because I was up with my daughter, who was 6 months old at the time, so I was actually awake for it. 

Otherwise I can't be bothered to get up for a program that has all its focus on the east coast. 

You brought up a critical point... It's a program designed for the east coast and it excluded with west coast.

It's also a timely program in that there is 0 pointing watching a rebroadcast because actual football is on. 

I think FOX is slightly more cleaver with their big noon kickoff because if there is a game that the west coast really wants to watch, relatively rare, we'll be up for it because it's an actual game and not just talk about games, which we've had all week and potentially all off season. 

This all does highlight how the potentially break up of the PAC could be a killer for west coast football on the whole, it's all focused on the east coast and we've been pushed more to the status of an after thought and late night filler content than a market. 

Fox like the folks at the Heisman Trust, has kicked Reggie to the curb. Reggie did not get the money he was looking for. He'll be replaced by Heisman winner Mark Ingram. In my opinion, the Heisman should have gone to the Bama OL. What kind of Q factor does Ingram bring with him? But as we are constantly witnessing, these days media companies are not tossing money around.

There's a CFB Power 2 and then there is this. In 2022 the NFL took home $11.9 Billion (GULP) in gross media rights payments. In 2023, UTube is paying $2B to take Sunday night games away from DirecTV which was paying $1B for the same inventory.  Streaming as a broadcast source is growing rapidly. ESPN has already given notice that at some time in the not-too-distant future, all of its CFB broadcasts will be streamed.

I think if the Pac goes big (not B1G) with streaming it will be well worth the risk. How about kickoffs at a reasonable hour out west and streaming the content all day long? With a 12-team playoff coming neither Fox nor ESPN can simply ignore the West Coast. And with streaming becoming the norm I see eyes-on-the-games having more impact than media market size. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1