Charles Fischer

Pac-12 Media Contract: Bigger Money, Multiple Streaming Partners Projected...

My feathered friends--below is from another pay site and I have no idea how legit it is.  But it does fit into my FishDuck-Fantasy World, where anything that is sunny for a Duck fan, is worth taking a look at.

-------------------------------------------
My phone has been abuzz the last couple days from some of a older families contacts in the Sports Media World. The league will come in solidly as the third best paid P5 league afte BIG and SEC the last few days. That is now sounding like just about an guarantee. It appears our new commissioner may actually do the impossible, as well as can play chicken with the best of them an win.

The deal has moved beyond the $31-$33M that was being floated out the last couple weeks by people outside the league (Likely either ESPN or BIG12). Take this with a grain of salt, but it appears our deal is going to be insanely creative and might come in much closer to BIG money than BIG 12 money, once all the i's are dotted, the t's crossed and incentives and creative avenues added in.

Also looking like SMU will pay their way into the league, i.e., they pay the first year WITHOUT distribution. Had heard this was a possibility this week, but now Canzano just went on the Locked on Pac12 Pod and stated it too. Also at least two streaming options onboard, ie., Apple and another in addition to ESPN, and some other partners.

What I like most about what I'm hearing is we are leveraging our Basketball games with streamers, giving ESPN top picks, and getting significantly more cash than the Big12 who had to sell ALL RIGHTS to their Basketball games to ESPN to get their deal, which translates into a Tuesday and Wednesday Night Big 12 games of the week on the mothership.

Listen to the Locked on Pod with Canzano. He's seems really dialed into what is going on in real time.

--------------------------------------------

You have to admit...if this stuff is true--we won't have to buy breakfast for a long time.  Just get the eggs off the face of the Big-12/SEC/B1G blowhards we have read on this site... 

giphy.gif

It makes the announcement later that much more interesting!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is the podcast referred to in Charles' post above. It was posted to our Duck Podcast thread yesterday.

Locked on Pac-12 Podcast with Spencer McLaughlin

John Canzano joins the podcast: A logical holdup to the Pac-12 media deal 

• -- John shares insight from sources he talks to within the Pac-12 with regards to what is taking the media deal so long to complete.
  • -- John also discusses the possibility of the Pac-12 beating the Big 12's media distribution under their deal of $31.6 million per per year
  • -- San Diego State and SMU could be a key role in getting there
  • -- What comes next for the Pac-12?

Join Spencer and John as they talk the topics above...

•  
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

And if this is true... 

Ohhhh... It will be sooooooo sooooo soooo wonderful. 

Mostly because it would make USC and especially UCLA feel the hurt soooo much worse. 

This week I did write an article on how I'm not convinced that Oregon should make a run for the B1G and if this turns out to be true then all the more reason to stay. 

More money and no real additional travel costs. That's a big win. 

FISHDUCK.COM

There are a lot of people talking about how getting into the B1G is a must for the Ducks to not be left behind...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 3

I didn't think MLS could make money by going strictly to Apple TV streaming, but apparently they are off to a good start.  Still early in the contract and season, so we shall see if it sticks.  Good news if the PAC becomes the first P5 league to be heavy into streaming.

AWFULANNOUNCING.COM

According to a new report, MLS and Apple are about to close in on an important marker on the road to Season Pass success. 

“MLS sources confirmed the league is nearing Apple’s required subscription threshold that kick-starts an agreement for the company to share subscription revenue with MLS,” wrote Evans. “The league’s players, per terms of the new CBA, would also receive 12.5% of the increase in media revenue this year if the amount exceeds $100 million of the 2022 media compensation, which was about $65 million when excluding fees paid to the USMNT.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Well, I’m not fond of paying multiple streaming services but if the quality is higher and it puts us in better financial shape…okay. 

I don’t know how many of you have  noticed but on Fubo TV at least the PAC-12 channels are streamed at very low bit rates. The compression artifacts and overall low video quality makes my eyes “scream.”  I’m hoping that the new contract mandates streaming video quality much higher than what we are currently getting. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for all the posters for these articles. Nice to see some folks can look at this media rights negotiations with their cup half full.

Who knows what is truth, fact or fiction........ 

As usual no names of those in the room are listed as sources. However, i must admit, I did get excited about the possibilities of a very diverse media deal with better money than the big12....

To me there are only 4 constants that are facts and feel free to share your constants:

1. Today is Thursday, June 29th, 2023.

2. Nobody knows except those in the room.

3. The PAC 10 has no annoumced media deal.

4.College football is profitable as  broadcast content for the media presenters. The more content(games) the more money....

Go Ducks...........

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Well, I’m not fond of paying multiple streaming services but if the quality is higher and it puts us in better financial shape…okay. 

I don’t know how many of you have  noticed but on Fubo TV at least the PAC-12 channels are streamed at very low bit rates. The compression artifacts and overall low video quality makes my eyes “scream.”  I’m hoping that the new contract mandates streaming video quality much higher than what we are currently getting. 

One of those streaming platforms could be ESPN's streaming service. Difficult to say as we don't actually know what is in the deal because it's not public. However, if the numbers are supposed to be higher than the expected 30million then those streaming platforms would have to be bigger platforms that already have decent subscriber bases.

As for your second point... this only helps those who have a VPN service but if you connect your VPN to a country outside of the US, I typically use the UK, you can go to youtube and there is a Pac-12 International stream. I watched the Spring Game this way and it was as good as if I still had Comcast. If you don't have a VPN or don't feel tech savvy enough to make this work then anyone can feel free to ignore this but it might help someone.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My feathered friends--below is from another pay site and I have no idea how legit it is.  But it does fit into my FishDuck-Fantasy World, where anything that is sunny for a Duck fan, is worth taking a look at.

-------------------------------------------
My phone has been abuzz the last couple days from some of a older families contacts in the Sports Media World. The league will come in solidly as the third best paid P5 league afte BIG and SEC the last few days. That is now sounding like just about an guarantee. It appears our new commissioner may actually do the impossible, as well as can play chicken with the best of them an win.

The deal has moved beyond the $31-$33M that was being floated out the last couple weeks by people outside the league (Likely either ESPN or BIG12). Take this with a grain of salt, but it appears our deal is going to be insanely creative and might come in much closer to BIG money than BIG 12 money, once all the i's are dotted, the t's crossed and incentives and creative avenues added in.

Also looking like SMU will pay their way into the league, i.e., they pay the first year WITHOUT distribution. Had heard this was a possibility this week, but now Canzano just went on the Locked on Pac12 Pod and stated it too. Also at least two streaming options onboard, ie., Apple and another in addition to ESPN, and some other partners.

What I like most about what I'm hearing is we are leveraging our Basketball games with streamers, giving ESPN top picks, and getting significantly more cash than the Big12 who had to sell ALL RIGHTS to their Basketball games to ESPN to get their deal, which translates into a Tuesday and Wednesday Night Big 12 games of the week on the mothership.

Listen to the Locked on Pod with Canzano. He's seems really dialed into what is going on in real time.

--------------------------------------------

You have to admit...if this stuff is true--we won't have to buy breakfast for a long time.  Just get the eggs off the face of the Big-12/SEC/B1G blowhards we have read on this site... 

giphy.gif

It makes the announcement later that much more interesting!

In Your Face 'Journalists!' Please let this speculation come true. GK, see hat, pull out rabbit. 

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, David Marsh said:

One of those streaming platforms could be ESPN's streaming service. Difficult to say as we don't actually know what is in the deal because it's not public. However, if the numbers are supposed to be higher than the expected 30million then those streaming platforms would have to be bigger platforms that already have decent subscriber bases.

As for your second point... this only helps those who have a VPN service but if you connect your VPN to a country outside of the US, I typically use the UK, you can go to youtube and there is a Pac-12 International stream. I watched the Spring Game this way and it was as good as if I still had Comcast. If you don't have a VPN or don't feel tech savvy enough to make this work then anyone can feel free to ignore this but it might help someone.

Good call David. I think ESPN+ will be one of the streaming services and I expect many games to transfer from ESPN cable to ESPN+ over the next 5 seasons in the ACC, B12, SEC, and Pac-10. Not a bold prediction because Disney/ESPN has said this will happen. SMU should deservedly buy-in and SDSU is making between $4M and $5M a year in media income in the MW so it should also take a revenue haircut. 

Streaming is coming on and tech advances that serve all streaming companies' interests, such as changing 'channels' between apps, will happen sooner rather than later. I also expect that access to statistics and graphics will be available by using the microphone feature on your remote. All moving toward the day when game broadcasts will be 3D holographic broadcasts with you being able to be anywhere in the stands or on the sidelines as you so desire. 

As of today's date, Apple's market cap is $3 Trillion, the largest in the world. Amazon comes in at a not-too-shabby $1.3 Trillion. 

Both of these entities have huge worldwide reach. 

• Wow 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As of today's date, Apple's market cap is $3 Trillion, the largest in the world. Amazon comes in at a not-too-shabby $1.3 Trillion. 

Both of these entities have huge worldwide reach. 

What if...we had both AND ESPN+ for streaming?  That is how you double your global audience...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A quick Google search.

Streaming Subscriptions worldwide and streaming share percentages

Netflix                  232.5 million,  27.3%

Amazon Prime    161.7 million,  24.3%

Disney/ESPN+    157.8 million, 18.2%

HBO                    96.1 million,   7%

Apple TV             25.0 million,   6.2%

Looks like I would prefer to have Amazon and ESPN+ be our streaming partners, but if Apple is going to pay more I won't complain too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:01 PM, Tandaian said:

Netflix                  232.5 million,  27.3%

No one has even talked about trying to get Netflix in on sports casting. They are in a similar position to the rest of these in that they don't have any in house sports production capability but the Pac-12 Network has that.

Amazon Prime isn't that surprising as its bundled in with the Prime sub and a ton of people have that.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Amazon Prime    161.7 million,  24.3%"

Prime got 11.3 million viewers average for the 15 Thursday NFL night games.  Obviously NFL gets more viewers than college games.

That would be about 7 percent of AmazonPrime subscribers per game.

The average for all NFL games last season was 16.7 million so traditional access had to be greater than that amount to offset the 11.3 on Thursday night.  That is down from 17.1 in the prior season which did not have Prime in the average.

Amazon’s games were the lowest rated Thursday night since 2013 when the NFL Network exclusively aired TNF. Last season Thursday games averaged 16.4 million viewers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, HDuck said:

"Amazon Prime    161.7 million,  24.3%"

Prime got 11.3 million viewers average for the 15 Thursday NFL night games.  Obviously NFL gets more viewers than college games.

That would be about 7 percent of AmazonPrime subscribers per game.

The average for all NFL games last season was 16.7 million so traditional access had to be greater than that amount to offset the 11.3 on Thursday night.  That is down from 17.1 in the prior season which did not have Prime in the average.

Amazon’s games were the lowest rated Thursday night since 2013 when the NFL Network exclusively aired TNF. Last season Thursday games averaged 16.4 million viewers. 

It will be worth watching those numbers this year... it is on a new platform and people need to learn where to find the game as well. Traditional TV is still going to get more eyeballs but it is only a matter of time until that starts to change. Those Amazon numbers should increase year-on-year as more people get more comfortable with streaming.

As Jon Joseph keeps on saying and I agree with him.... streaming is the future. So if this rumored deal comes together it will put the Pac ahead of all the other conferences a full media cycle earlier. Next media rights cycle starting around 2030 will include streaming platforms and if the Pac can lock those down early that will make the next media rights cycle a whole lot easier.

I think in large part what has made this media rights negotiation take so long has been because the Pac has had to get more creative in part because FOX bought into the B1G and really doesn't have a lot of money left over for other conferences. ESPN filled up on the SEC and doesn't really want to pay top dollar on the Pac.

Both FOX and ESPN (the big two sports casters) are jumping up and down with joy because the former ACC commissioner is potentially worse than Larry Scott because they have the ACC locked in for about another ten years with a crappy media deal.

And the Big-12 has been showing off for a while how great and smart they are with their ~30 million dollar per school deal but in reality that was an easy media rights deal. They basically sold away everything they could and expanded the conference to every G5 school that has been remotely decent in football in the past decade and FOX and ESPN basically renewed their deal. The Big-12's expansion in order to maintain this number lost their two biggest members in Oklahoma and Texas and then they had to add 4 members to try and make up for that... BYU, Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati. I would imagine that their media rights deal would have been better with Oklahoma and Texas without needing to expand.

So with all this chaos the Pac has had to get creative and hopefully they can pull it off. They probably could get a status quo deal that will keep them around where the Big-12's deal is at but getting creative could see a pay bump even if it would take a year or so.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:57 PM, David Marsh said:

...streaming is the future. So if this rumored deal comes together it will put the Pac ahead of all the other conferences a full media cycle earlier.

For once the Pac-12 could be the leader!  And if Oregon doubles their global audience in the next five years, (because of how mismanaged the Pac-12 Network distribution system was)....then look out!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

David, great post, and certainly not because my name was mentioned. In fairness, it was a former ACC commissioner and not Jim Phillips who put the ACC in a media casket. This guy made Larry look like a savant.

We are living in a world of the most rapid change since our species came about. One thing an old man like me has learned about tech, without learning enough about tech, is that Moore's law, computer capability doubles every 18 months, if I am not mistaken on the timeline, applies to everything in this wired world in which we reside. 

It may be elder abuse but old gas passers are not going to slow down this high-tech accelerated advance. The tech that is difficult to navigate today will be easily navigated in the future with voice commands. And both you David, and Charles are spot on in acknowledging that being there first could lead to being the most.

Inconvenience and the protestations of old folk have never slowed advancement in this world even though the advancement in many respects had negative side effects. And the numbers Tandanian, and thanks for doing so, posted above will soon be passe. Just like early on the number of telephones in a place of business and residences were insignificant. 

If you come close to your four score years on Earth and do not recognize that one of the few things that is permanent is change you are not paying attention. Will I be around to have a media deal last laugh? I think it is entirely possible as was my grandmothers' listening to the radio, watching TV, and seeing men walk on the moon. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Just like early on the number of telephones in a place of business and residences were insignificant. 

Interesting question with the pace of tech change....will streaming replace traditional TV faster than cell phones replaced Land-Lines?

Mr. FishDuck

A somewhat "similar" topic is the demise of AM radio.  Something I don't like since those stations are being replaced with FM versions which have a fraction of the geographic range.  I enjoy listening to AM broadcast of the Ducks' post-game show, or tuning in Cal Bear broadcasts, etc. as I drive home in the evening/night.   Something that FM can't provide.  Nor, sufficient cell tower coverage in the mountains for an Internet stream.

Fortunately, I have vehicle satellite radio which provides the game broadcast, but not the post-game.  Even the new FM stations are cutting anything other than the actual game.

The linked story, and the comments that are tacked on at the end, describes some of the issues on this topic.

WWW.JEFFGEERLING.COM

Like to watch Duck games on DISH/cable and listen to radio broadcasts that often have the play 5 secs. or so before the TV.  Have found the sync between radio streaming and TV is not as good thus forcing me to abandon it altogether and listen to a TV broadcast crew which does not have the "insider" info provided by Jorgy/Jerry.

Streaming MAY be the future, but right now is you live outside a major metro with reliable high speed connections it is problematic.  Likewise the technology has a lot to do to catchup for quick channel change without lag, picture in picture, multi-channel view, immediate DVR rewind, etc. etc.

Here's at least 1 game that will reverberate nationally and have Autzen fans Shouting their lungs out. 

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon and USC will play in front of a sold-out Autzen Stadium this fall.

Not all is well in the land of Mickey Mouse. The traditional media outlets are not as financially robust as they were as recently as 12 months ago. Will ESPN, Fox, etc. be able to fulfill their broadcast contract agreements? 

Not so long ago 2 Harvard dropouts almost took down IBM. The traditional broadcast model has at least one foot out the door. 

San Diego State is NOT IMO in limbo. There have to have been back-channel discussions between SDSU and the Pac-10 that I believe are ongoing. Ditto SMU. SDSU engaged in this dance once before when the Aztecs planned to depart to the Big East. The MW is going to toss out SDSU and its 2nd finish in the latest CBB tournament. And do what, replace SDSU with UC Santa Cruz? The Banana Slugs would be a great get for the MW, right? 

Both the San Diego and Dallas markets have been included in any and every proposed Pac-10 media deal. And the new media deal will be concluded and announced before Pac football media day in Las Vegas on July 21st. SDSU and SMU will receive and accept Pac-10 invites at a reduced media revenue share.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Realignment has slowed, but San Diego State has its eyes set on the Power Five
Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Not all is well in the land of Mickey Mouse. The traditional media outlets are not as financially robust as they were as recently as 12 months ago. Will ESPN, Fox, etc. be able to fulfill their broadcast contract agreements? 

It would be funny if they can't and the new Pac deal turns out to be more robust and able to pay out. 

Again I think it would be hillarious if the LA schools find themselves deeper into the red by moving to the B1G and the Pac finds itself making significantly more money on the whole. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

“The MW is going to toss out SDSU and its 2nd finish in the latest CBB tournament. And do what, replace SDSU with UC Santa Cruz? The Banana Slugs would be a great get for the MW, right?”

The PAC-12 replacing USC and UCLA with SDSU and SMU is like the MW replacing SDSU with UC Santa Cruz.  

Today is the one year anniversary of the B1G announcement. 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, Rufus said:

The PAC-12 replacing USC and UCLA with SDSU and SMU is like the MW replacing SDSU with UC Santa Cruz

There aren't really any other viable options so it really is all about trying to find the next best. 

If the LA schools had stuck around I do think SDSU and SMU would have been targets for expansion regardless. SDSU feels like a no brainer because adding them really was a no brainer. 

I do feel like SMU is a steal the more I keep learning about them. They have a big donor base and they are serious about raising their athletic standard. Given 3-5 years they should be in the middle of the Pac in football. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I hope the PAC-12 deal is at least close to the Big 12 deal. Nothing to get excited about, but at least enough to stay viable for a few years until we can hopefully find a better landing spot. 

On 6/29/2023 at 3:27 PM, HDuck said:

Just like the NFL Network time will take care of this. My Dad has a prime account but still didn't watch because he didn't know how to stream on his TV. He dose now as I've showed him how to do it. I personally didn't watch Thursday night football games for years after the NFL Network took over.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:11 PM, Rufus said:

I hope the PAC-12 deal is at least close to the Big 12 deal. Nothing to get excited about, but at least enough to stay viable for a few years until we can hopefully find a better landing spot. 

It will be a better deal than the relatively stagnant deal the B12 made. Pac-10 teams are not heading off to the B12 even if I am incorrect, it happens, and the Pac deal is a few million behind the B12 deal. 

The Pac-12 will like the B12 have a representative in the Dallas market. And the restructured Pac-12 will be in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, and Salt Lake City. The B12 will have Salt Lake City, Houston, and Orlando but also have many small markets. And the travel in the B12 for a school like BYU will be awful. And how much travel will West Virginia save with the addition of UCF? Not much. 

What are B12's flagship football programs? TCU had an excellent 2022 season before being throttled by UGA. K State won the conference championship in 2022. Neither of these 2 schools has the cache of an Oregon program or the historic success of the UW program. Not that SMU will draw more eyeballs but TCU is far from the lead college sports sled dog in the DFW area. The B12 is an expanded AAC conference.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 2:25 PM, Dave23 said:

Just like the NFL Network time will take care of this. My Dad has a prime account but still didn't watch because he didn't know how to stream on his TV. He dose now as I've showed him how to do it. I personally didn't watch Thursday night football games for years after the NFL Network took over.

Dave, accessing streaming apps will become easier for your Dad and old guys like me. We are at the dawn of a new media paradigm and access to the product will improve. Like ABC, CBS, and NBC, the leaders of streaming companies understand that they will make more money working together. 

Why is anyone surprised that Thursday night NFL telecasts do not draw the same as games broadcast on Sunday? Not only is Amazon saddled with a weeknight broadcast time but the best games are not allocated by the NFL to Thursday night. Comparing Sunday telecasts to Thursday night streaming is apples and oranges. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Not all is well in the land of Mickey Mouse

I'm really hoping the biggest streaming partner is Amazon. They have a huge subscription base, a whole lot of cash and not to mention the infrastructure to properly stream the games at 4k resolution. 

Apple may seem attractive to some but with their history of not playing well with others I would prefer to see it go to just about anyone else.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, Rufus said:

The PAC-12 replacing USC and UCLA with SDSU and SMU is like the MW replacing SDSU with UC Santa Cruz.  

Today is the one year anniversary of the B1G announcement. 

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

OH NO! Justin Herbert's buddy Todd Mc Shade is one of the on-air folks laid off by ESPN in the most recent round of cuts by the World Wide Leader. 

Mel Kiper is now on his own in projecting totally erroneous draft picks.

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

ESPN has parted ways with more than a dozen on-air personalities as part of its latest round of layoffs, and one of the moves will...

• Wow 1

Pollack is out and McAfee is in? Once again style beats substance. Keyshawn Johnson was also told to hit the road.

I am glad I am not the one on point trying to do a media deal in today's world.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

David Pollack was let go in ESPN's latest wave of layoffs.

• Wow 1

Pollack out is not a loss of substance.  McAfee may not be the perfect addition, but the Pollack loss is probably an upgrade.

On another topic, Amazon membership really does not mean much.  It is the Amazon subscribers who will watch that will be the numbers to track.  There are a LOT of subscribers who are there for much different reasons.  There are a lot of Prime viewers who wouldn't know a football from a volleyball.

Unless there is a "consolidation of streaming services" under a single membership umbrella, i.e. a cable system of streaming, the resistance to streaming will be firm.  Folks do not like a multitude of single charges per month.   But, hopefully the market responds for that, and for picture-in-picture, quick service/channel changes, video quality, instant replay, record to watch later, etc. services that come with a DVR and cable/satellite.  High speed Internet is still dismal in many parts of the nation, and system infrastructure will need upgrades to handle multi-million simultaneous viewers.  Success will depend on addressing all those issues in months, not years.

• Applause 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:23 AM, HDuck said:

Pollack out is not a loss of substance.  McAfee may not be the perfect addition, but the Pollack loss is probably an upgrade.

On another topic, Amazon membership really does not mean much.  It is the Amazon subscribers who will watch that will be the numbers to track.  There are a LOT of subscribers who are there for much different reasons.  There are a lot of Prime viewers who wouldn't know a football from a volleyball.

Unless there is a "consolidation of streaming services" under a single membership umbrella, i.e. a cable system of streaming, the resistance to streaming will be firm.  Folks do not like a multitude of single charges per month.   But, hopefully the market responds for that, and for picture-in-picture, quick service/channel changes, video quality, instant replay, record to watch later, etc. services that come with a DVR and cable/satellite.  High speed Internet is still dismal in many parts of the nation, and system infrastructure will need upgrades to handle multi-million simultaneous viewers.  Success will depend on addressing all those issues in months, not years.

My friend, you and I disagree regarding Pollock and McAfee who dresses like a deranged junior high kid and makes a fool of himself trying to be witty. I am done with Game Day and the tired schtick of Lee Corso doing his hat dance. 2 and a half hours of tripe and maybe a half hour of substance.

Access to streaming services will get easier. And the number of households as a marker for potential viewership is no different than basing broadcast decisions on the size of a media market and not on the number of eyeballs tuning into a given game. Both Apple and Amazon will provide far more access to games than the 13M subscribers to Pac-12 Network and I'm not certain on what you are basing your analysis of Paramount/Prime subscribers on. I happen to have both the Apple/Amazon apps and I'm as zealous a viewer of football as anyone. 

Some stream numbers.  The number below includes quite a bit of set it, forget it, program selection such as movies or 60-120 minute single program.  The issue for many sports fans will still be, "how many different streamers do I have to subscribe to?  And, how easy is it to change multiple times mid-flight?"

Well, as much of a shill that Pollack is for the SEC, he did say this in October 2022 after 45-30 Ducks.

"What kind of stupid, idiot, dumb dumb, would pick UCLA over Oregon? Im sorry @oregonfootball I was wrong!" Pollack tweeted.

In 2018, before the WSU game, about Herbert, "hmmm, well he throws a pretty ball."

Something that I’m worried about is that the PAC 12 media rights contract is being compared to how favorable or unfavorable it will be in relationship to the Big 12….not the SEC or B1G. If the stars align perfectly, we make a little bit more than the Big 12. That seems to be our ceiling and it’s a big *IF* as it is.  

While we wait on pins and needles for our media rights contract, USC is already spending its B1G money on facility upgrades.  

WWW.LATIMES.COM

USC President Carol Folt revealed plans for a new football performance center in addition to a new stadium for women's...

When I visited usc years ago, I toured the facilities and at that time every fb scholarship was endowed at least 2 positions deep, so not one dime of their budget is spent on scholarships.

People are allowed to write whatever they want on this forum....even if they keep saying the same thing over-and-over in different ways.

There are some relevant facts:

--The B1G has big problems to solve, thus they are DONE inviting teams for now.

--Oregon has no invitation, and thus will not for five years.

--The Ducks have a real opportunity to increase their value to any conference, by growing the audience size via streaming, and through winning with Dan Lanning over the next five years.

--Oregon will make their selection in five years independent of what we, on this forum, think.

--This whole discussion is MOOT for five years.

Stating the same stuff about the B1G versus the Pac-12 does not convince anyone further, since most of us will follow whatever Oregon decides later. 

But you can....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/3/2023 at 8:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

People are allowed to write whatever they want on this forum....even if they keep saying the same thing over-and-over in different ways.

There are some relevant facts:

--The B1G has big problems to solve, thus they are DONE inviting teams for now.

--Oregon has no invitation, and thus will not for five years.

--The Ducks have a real opportunity to increase their audience via streaming, and through success with Dan Lanning over the next five years.

--Oregon will make their selection in five years independent of what we, on this forum, think.

--This whole discussion is MOOT for five years.

Stating the same stuff about the B1G versus the Pac-12 does not convince anyone further, since most of us will follow whatever Oregon decides later. 

But you can....

giphy.gif

Thank you Charles!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/3/2023 at 10:21 AM, Rufus said:

Something that I’m worried about is that the PAC 12 media rights contract is being compared to how favorable or unfavorable it will be in relationship to the Big 12….not the SEC or B1G. If the stars align perfectly, we make a little bit more than the Big 12. That seems to be our ceiling and it’s a big *IF* as it is.  

While we wait on pins and needles for our media rights contract, USC is already spending its B1G money on facility upgrades.  

WWW.LATIMES.COM

USC President Carol Folt revealed plans for a new football performance center in addition to a new stadium for women's...

You can put lipstick on Traveler but ...  SC in recent memory has one Pac-12 title. SC will be the 4th horse in the B1G football horse race. No Williams in 2024? I see SC going 9-3 at best and starting with a loss vs LSU in Las Vegas.

Both UCLA and USC wanted Nebraska as a permanent scheduling partner for B1G football. This did not happen. And if the football team and the men's basketball team travel on charter flights to away games; well, how will the women athletes react to this? One thing to fly charter to Piscataway and another to schlep commercial. How often do commercial flights arrive on time today if indeed they even take off? If all sports do fly charter that will be a big chunk out of the B1G $65M.

To date, even with all of the publicity SC is one spot ahead of Oregon in 2024 recruiting rankings and UCLA, unlike Stanford (!) is nowhere to be seen.  Where is the B1G recruiting bump? SC recruiting will finish behind Ohio State recruiting and most likely behind Michigan and Penn State. Yes, there will be spots for 6 conference champs and 6 AL playoff spots in 2024 but with having to play LSU and Notre Dame and playing at Ohio State and with, IMO, the B1G more likely to get two playoff spots and not three, I don't see Troy in the playoff. Especially with Penn State not having to play Ohio State and Michigan every season. And come 2024 Caleb Williams will be playing pro ball. 

In 2023 I see SC hard-pressed to win in South Bend and I think SC will split the home games versus Utah (the week after SC plays Notre Dame) and UW and take an L in Autzen. With both Oregon and UW on the schedule, it will not be an easy road back to the champ game for SC. And you know that in its last Pac go-around SC will be getting every team's best shot. And how much will the SC D under the same group of coaches improve? The Heisman winner is back but a lot of questions remain. 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully us potentially staying in the Pac-12 doesn't kill our chances of scheduling actually good opponents like Alabama in non-conference play.

EDIT: Nevermind, I angered someone...

Edited by Thomallister1291
I shouldn't have said this.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Hopefully us potentially staying in the Pac-12 doesn't kill our chances of scheduling actually good opponents like Alabama in non-conference play.

If you three are going to do it....then so am I.

giphy.gif

Yep...we need to read it ONE MORE TIME.  

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If you three are going to do it....then so am I.

giphy.gif

Yep...we need to read it ONE MORE TIME.  

I made a huge mistake...

On 7/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

EDIT: Nevermind, I angered someone...

I will be happy when Traveler (USC horse) is gone and no more dead horses to beat!

No idea who Jim Williams is, but this will be devastating if true...........

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

After months of continuous negotiation for the new Pac-12 media rights deal, it looks like the conference won’t strike an agreement...

Edited by Rufus

So...has anyone ever heard of...

Author:  Facouk Yusaf?

Source: Jim Williams?

giphy.gif

I will stick with Canzano, who has actually spoke to multiple people who were in the room...  (So nice of you bringing any negative you can find)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seriously? Double seriously??

Absolutely void of a named source or quote from an in the room source!

If no agreement was going to be struck the first to know would be GK and the comittee of 3 Presidents.

First, the announcement would come from GK and the PAC 12 Conference. Not the clowns!

Second the,Trojan Wire would be shouting from the highest rooftops basking in the destruction of the PAC10. I truly hate the usucks...

Third, at least 1 President would have spilled the beans. Its just human nature.

Fourth, the 4 corner schools would be celebrating the 4th of July in BIG12 country looking to close a deal. Has 1 President of the 4 corners made any profound, definitive announcement?

And i agree with Charles! I will stick with Canzano and add Wilner to that list. They have PAC 10 insider connections and both would have published articles on this......today!

Of course, we are all entitled to our feelings and opinions. Its the strength and backbone of OBDF...

Want my opinion? It has no named sources, no attention seeking, click bait driven, fantasyland facts...

Just this:

If this is how the deal goes down then i will be one of the first to subscribe. The PAC 10 will have my support. There is no doomsday scenario on this, no matter how many people want to drive the negative.

Consider this: The PAC10 is the only P5 Conference who can chart their own course. They can forge new ground. If the Networks move to streaming, well the PAC12 Network is a network. Its all dressed up and ready to broadcast, so why cant they move to a streaming subscription?

Consider this: The networks need Friday and Saturday night broadcasting content. Its how the networks make money. Televising content that draws millions of fans and millions of dollars from advertisers. What could any network broadcast that would make them more money than PAC 10 CF?

If in fact, our Ducks have the 7th largest following then that means millions of fans. Why wouldnt they subscribe to a PAC10 streaming service?

Guess it depends on your cup! Is it half empty or half full?

Forum members have a safe and fun 4th of July. Independence is a beautiful thing.......

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2