FishDuck Article

Has the Portal Solved Oregon’s FREAK Problems?

Oregon does have a freak problem with their football team. It is not a bizarre problem, but one that is unusual because of what Dan Lanning is trying to achieve at Oregon, and soon. I identified the issue late last season, and wondered aloud if it would be solved through high school and portal recruiting, and I believe we have ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon does have a freak problem with their football team. It is not a bizarre problem, but one that is unusual because of what Dan Lanning is...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Freaking excited, thanks!

the-office-steve-carell.gif

• Applause 1

Thanks Charles for the article. Your breakdown and analysis was on the money...... 

I  agree with you that DL has used the portal to bring those "Freaks" in for this season.

The experience and talent will be on the field for our Ducks D in 2023. Much of DL's defensive schemes require that the players Trust each other. Trust that each player will fulfill their assignment.

How quickly the players gel together and build that trust will tell the 2023 story for our Ducks defense......

This unit should fit the Create Chaos Scheme better than the 2022 unit.  More sacks, TFL's and turnovers ahould be the result. If this unit gets off the field on 3rd/4th down even 30% more than last year then OBD's offense will have more opportunities to blow games wide open or run out the clock. Result being more WINS...

Can't wait for the season to start and see how the Freaks help lead the Ducks to a PAC title and CFP appearance.

GO DUCKS......

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles, thanks once again for illuminating what is going on with the Mint Defense that DL is building.  Freaking good article.

• Thumbs Up 2

My Duck-Buddies...I cannot restrain myself when it comes to the discussion of what Lanning and staff did in Portal recruiting.  They did not just plug the holes on defense, but brought in players who could fill the freak roles needed so badly?  Whew!

Take the JACK linebacker example alone; that guy is the biggest freak out there, and super-hard to acquire, yet Lanning got two of them in Burch and Matayo Ug.  Last year we saw that Mase Funa could set the edge, but he could not cover RBs out of the backfield, and his pass rush was...inadequate.  Bradyn Swinson was decent at the pass-rush, but not great...could not set the edge, but he could cover the RBs. DJ Johnson was OK at the pass rush, (not great) could cover the RBs, but could not set the edge.

We had no player who could do all three, let alone do them well.  Hence the massive recruiting for this player where we had the 12 players for this spot going into Spring Football, (to find out who can do it!) and Lanning got two for sure at this point.  And his commitment is to have many of them, hence the opposing offense cannot load-up and triple team the one great edge rusher, as teams did with Thibs.

It is one thing to create a defense that requires freaks; it is another thing to go out and get the freaks needed to run the defense, and Lanning did.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Hey Charles, tell Joey that you not saying Wilcox couldn't/wouldn't be doing the same.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

Lanning's defense is a high end defense. It has proven to be one of the best in the country. However, it has some requirements and one being it needs those freak athletes to make it all work. So getting those athletes is key and the portal has helped fill those areas of need and its amazing how well Oregon has done via the portal so far. 

Looking forward to a top tier defense pair with a top tier offense. The dream of Oregon fans... a defense and offense that are both highly ranked. Could it finally happen? I really hope so. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/3/2023 at 7:33 AM, Steven A said:

Hey Charles, tell Joey that you not saying Wilcox couldn't/wouldn't be doing the same.

giphy.gif

The KING of the one-liners strikes again!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

image.thumb.gif.1239f2a0cb31102504eb67c40c116212.gif

Edited by Jon Joseph

Great article Mr. FishDuck! I for one am ready to Freak Out and Shout!

Love how DL is mining the portal for SEC guys and also going into the deep south to recruit quality HS athletes. 

• Applause 1

This is the defense Coach Lanning is working towards...Just saw this on another Twitter site