Steven A

Committed, Not So Fast

Per 24/7, 2025 WR commit Dallas Wilson now has a top 3, Clemson, UCF and we're still in it!

'Committed' is a college recruiting oxymoron. A lot of these guys are as committed as the folks in a Hollywood marriage

However, great post, and let's hope the young man gives Oregon his verbal commitment and then signs on the dotted line. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Committed is like a cat on a leash. The leash is the signed letter, and the leash only works as long as the cat wants it too.

Once off the leash no one knows where it will go, and it may not end up anywhere good. Although they thought the next spot was going to be much better. 

I will say with the competition we have at some positions these recruits better be ready to work, and have the talent to lay it on the line. I can see some positions, like receiver, where some guys may want to go to a school where the battles for playing time aren't so tough.

cat-leash.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

90-95% of current year verbals stick--I've noted this over time.  Verbals for a year and a half later, (2025)....are not very dependable!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/5/2023 at 1:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

90-95% of current year verbals stick--I've noted this over time.  Verbals for a year and a half later, (2025)....are not very dependable!

I wonder if this percentage will hold with NIL money swaying their commitment? 

On 7/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, Lono said:

I wonder if this percentage will hold with NIL money swaying their commitment? 

Depends on the deal. .

From the sound of it the NIL money and bidding wars have gone down a lot this year from last year. 

A lot more money is being thrown at portal recruits and that makes more sense because they're the ones proven at the college level. 

Division street continues to play a smarter game when it comes to NIL from everything I've read. They are aiming at team retention (or at least retaining the Ayers they want) while bidding on recruits they want but not over paying. 

It sounds like Oregon will lose our on a few recruits this year because other team's NIL groups are dumping everything to grab a recruit and Division Street isn't playing the bidding war game, even though they could probably win it. In the end if you over pay for a 5 star who doesn't pan out... Is that winning? 

I know there are fans on other sites right now that are losing their minds that Oregon's nil isn't just going all in on every recruit but if we want to be competitive year after year... It's choosing those thresholds carefully. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think there is also touring campuses and programs to network for a possible transfer. If a parent is smart they have the kids take as many tours and network with coaches and players. Why not make connections while you are a free agent.

I can respect the kid who knows exactly where he wants to go, and it all works out. I can also see how kids, in this day and age, want to keep options open while building relationships. 

Coaches leave, superstars get signed for your position. I would counsel my kid to take the trips, be honest, and build those connections, strengthen your social skills.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:11 PM, Haywarduck said:

Coaches leave, superstars get signed for your position. I would counsel my kid to take the trips, be honest, and build those connections, strengthen your social skills.

I agree. How often do you see a player in the transfer portal being picked up by a team that recruited him (a lot). Options if things don’t work out is a good thing.