Charles Fischer

Canzano: 'The Room Has Just Shifted'

Yes, that title caught my attention to John's article today.  The summary I can give you is...

--In June, there was "feeling no time pressure" to the Pac-12 Media contract.  But on Tuesday, one member of the CEO Group told John on Tuesday: “The room just shifted.”

--What does that mean? Canzano admits he has no idea, and we are all just guessing.

--He does not expect any announcements before, or during the Pac-12 meetings in a week.

--One member of the Pac-12 CEO Group about the media deal: “All good, but our timing is not being driven by media narratives or others’ deadlines.” (SDST's deadline, I'm sure)

--Canzano: "It feels to me as if the Pac-12 knows something the rest of us don’t."  (Well, no kidding, John!)

Anyone can spin the above either direction, but I remain optimistic.  (The Ducks will be fine)

PreGame Huddle_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Spin?  Chuckle.   I feel we're all now beyond tumble dry and have burnt edges.

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was that the sound of the deck chairs on the Titanic shifting?  KIDDING! Totally agree with Charles that Puddles will be happy to stay or find a nice new nest to settle into.

image.gif.6a0cc7c7d95c49474fe2e816debe98b3.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

My reading of that is that they aren't panicked... 

That can either mean they have a good deal that is being ironed out or a deal they can live with... Spin it however you want. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, HDuck said:

Spin?  Chuckle.   I feel we're all now beyond tumble dry and have burnt edges.

The wifi on my SMART dryer malfunctioned yesterday. Kind of like how the stream sometimes goes down  for everyone across the country on Amazon Prime TV's Thursday Night Football, or how the stream lags at times for every viewer on Apple TV's MLS games. 

I prefer my appliances "dumb" and I want my football games on cable or over the air broadcast TV.  I don't want the PAC to be guinea pigs with a streaming media deal package. Save that for the Gen-Y/Z/Millennials to deal with in the future!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday, the John Canzano article referenced by Charles in this thread was behind a paywall. This morning, I found it on a free site if you are interested in reading it.

Canzano: Pac-12 in no hurry as Las Vegas looms

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:04 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Yesterday, the John Canzano article referenced by Charles in this thread was behind a paywall. This morning, I found it on a free site if you are interested in reading it.

Canzano: Pac-12 in no hurry as Las Vegas looms

Thanks, PA. I guess no news is no news? 

• Thanks 1

"Patience is a virtue" some say.

Others? "Lead, Follow, or get out if the way".

Still others...PUNT!

Edited by Notalot

On 7/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, Notalot said:

Still others...PUNT!

It sounds like it's a third and short situation with the media deal right now. Just need to get everything lined up correctly and it's done. 

It doesn't sound like it's a 4th and 5 everyone poo your pants moment. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, David Marsh said:

It sounds like it's a third and short situation with the media deal right now. Just need to get everything lined up correctly and it's done. 

It doesn't sound like it's a 4th and 5 everyone poo your pants moment. 

3rd and short was a poor odds scenario under Cristobal. 

• Haha 3

Luckily Cristobal is elsewhere. 

It's been over a year... 

We will get it done with more time to spare to our deadline, than the B1G did to theirs. 

As for the Big-12 deal, I think you will find that...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't see how the Pac "brand" has suffered.

USC, UO are leading the recruiting, but Stanford has its best class in years!

CU sold out its spring game.

6 teams ended '22 ranked in top 25.

4 - 6 QB'S are getting preseason hype.

5 (or is it 6) teams are ranked preseason. 

I mean, the only bad press is coming from B1G, ESPN, and B12 haters. They want to see the Pac's demise.

I see this " the room has shifted" quote as being a big hint on a media deal we will all be excited about.

It may even make the Pac12 network profitable. 

I like JC (now that he's on his own) but he just sound frustrated (as we all are) in the waiting game. I mean, we want to know now!

Hang in there Duck fan faithful. Fishduck has it correct. Wherever the chips fall, our Ducks will make out great.

I for one think this deal might be good enough to entice UCLA back. Besides travel costs and student travel burn-out, the political scene could be tougher, for eg. Nebraska is now a banned travel state for state employees, and several other issues.

We shall see and be glad.

• Thumbs Up 1