Charles Fischer

Deranged Dawg Delusion in Montlake Over Losing Mothudi to Ducks

I cannot believe what the Huskies say, and internalize about the Ducks at times. (Below is from another site, as an Oregon fan summarized their ongoing excuses pretty well)

Husky Narratives Explaining Why Oregon Out-Recruits Washington  

1.We (Oregon) pay recruits -everyone pays recruits wake up! It’s called NIL

Scoreboard Baby Book_Ken Armstrong_Nick Perry.jpg

2.We (Oregon) has always paid recruits. Okay assume we did so did UW, in fact they were busted for it two times so quit acting like you never paid recruits. Rick Neuheisel practically wrote the book (see above) on illegal shady recruiting while at UW calling recruits in their driveways etc.

3.Oregon just recruits talent; they really recruit the hidden gems that only they can see. What a load of baloney this is. Do they realize how many coaches watch tape on kids these days, in fact many schools pay people extra to watch even more tape and give them suggestions. So it ain’t just Oregon not recruiting the hidden gem we don’t see why isn’t Nick Saban, Kelly, Riley, Kirby, or say Sweeney seeing these hidden gems like the Husky staff apparently only does.

In addition the odds of hitting on these hidden gems is so huge and the kid actually panning out to be a impactful starter is the reason schools don’t waste scholarships on these kids like Washington does

4.The Husky staff is so great at finding and developing “hidden gems”. DeBoer has been there one full season, quit acting like he developed anyone. He got lucky with Penix and a few other transfers that’s the development you claim your staff did. You took proven talent transfers. I recall them saying Lake was the best at developing talent how’d that work out? Now suddenly DeBoer is when Penix is gone we will see how great he really is, Penix is a generational talent making up for a lot of real issues on that team

5.Our players at Oregon leave. You bet they do, when you are buried on the roster as a four star and can’t beat the four or five star ahead of ya, I’d transfer too if I wanted to play. Btw the incoming freshmen at your position is 4 or 5 star so if your not playing much your junior or senior season you’re odds aren’t looking great going forward.

Husky Mod Explaining Recruiting.jpg

Ignore what you see at Oregon; UW

is creating the MOTHER of All

Recruiting Classes

6.They are gonna steal Mothudi later. Whatever so much for their kids flipping and they never wanted him and it’s deceitful to the program but it’s great when they do it to another school. Talk about hypocritical.

I don’t expect them to say" great job," to Oregon, but they continually lie to themselves to make them feel better and it’s just ridiculous and unreal. I love Oregon but I am objective enough to admit we have shortcomings in our programs too.

In the end what’s frustrating is Washington fans can’t seem to wrap their head around the fact that it isn’t just Oregon kicking their a$$es in recruiting--it is pretty much everyone. They haven’t kept an instate Washington recruit of consequence since Sam Huard, who transferred btw, and kids don’t want to play for Washington like they do Oregon or Usc or say Ohio State. I mean if they don’t get honest about this, they aren’t gonna fix it.

Btw I expect them to hire a big time recruiter this off season like Donte Williams and pay him a bag of cash to help cuz DeBoer been there 3 years and has proven he can’t recruit talent.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

DeBoer is a solid coach. I can’t deny that. 

However, without solid recruiting, DeBoer’s success with the pups will become very similar to Chip Kelly’s success during his stint at UCLA. 

Good coaching gets you the job, solid recruiting lets you keep it. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Another Baghdad Bob appearance; I love it!

Has this guy ever heard of Billy Jo Herbert who got paid and sent Don James into retirement? 

image.gif.909f59b2b8978adcdbd0457577c56359.gifimage.gif.e2082eefd4a6c0a1c8a0c384ab8a4357.gif

What’s interesting is how much puppy fans sound exactly like Trojan fans did prior to the program getting off its butt and hiring someone who could get them back in the game. Not saying the verdict is in on DeBoer, but lots of mutts quietly pondering how lucky they were to have had Chris Peterson.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:26 PM, Washington Waddler said:

pondering how lucky they were to have had Chris Peterson.

I know this is water under the bridge, but I really wanted the Ducks to hire Peterson.  How did we miss him?  Was everyone all in on Helfrich and no attempt was made to lure Peterson away from Boise at the time?  I was very disappointed -- I thought he might come to Eugene if we tried hard enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

If memory serves, I think we tried pretty hard; for what ever reason, just never got any traction.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, Washington Waddler said:

If memory serves, I think we tried pretty hard; for what ever reason, just never got any traction.

In 2015 (when Petersen went to UW) we were coming off a National Championship appearance. Sark went from UW to USC and UW grabbed Petersen. 

Oregon had no interest because Helfrich was our guy at the time. 

Then there was some potential interest after Cristobal left but Petersen really seems done with College Football because of the recruiting side of things. He opted to retire from Washington, he was not fired. 

There may have been some interest back in 2012-2013 after Kelly but the Oregon tradition at the time was promote from within... Beyond that Petersen's offensive style was prostyle and Oregon made its name by being a spread offense with high tempo. The Oregon brand at the time needed to keep the Kelly offense so Helfrich was really the guy. 

Timing never worked out for Oregon and Petersen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 7/14/2023 at 4:02 PM, David Marsh said:

There may have been some interest back in 2012-2013 after Kelly but the Oregon tradition at the time was promote from within... Beyond that Petersen's offensive style was prostyle and Oregon made its name by being a spread offense with high tempo. The Oregon brand at the time needed to keep the Kelly offense so Helfrich was really the guy. 

This makes sense.  Thank you.  Peterson had been WR coach at Oregon for about six years before he went to Boise, so I figured he had some "within" connections.  Not nearly as much as Helfrich in 2012 though I guess.

You’re undoubtedly right David. What I recall were occasional reports of ‘feelers’  - testing the water - being made in order to gauge Peterson’s level of interest in the job during his tenure in Boise, but no hard offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big problem is what was already stated; Oregon was the elite No-Huddle Spread Offense at that time, and while Petersen ran a good offense, it was Pro-Style and was not a fit.  Neither side wanted to bend on that issue, if I recall correctly.

AJ Feely, Petersen, and Joey in 1999.  (Incredible Photo!)

AJ Feeley, Chris Petersen and Joey Harrington_John Giustina.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/15/2023 at 11:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The big problem is what was already stated; Oregon was the elite No-Huddle Spread Offense at that time, and while Petersen ran a good offense, it was Pro-Style and was not a fit.  Neither side wanted to bend on that issue, if I recall correctly.

AJ Feely, Petersen, and Joey in 1999.  (Incredible Photo!)

AJ Feeley, Chris Petersen and Joey Harrington_John Giustina.jpg

I love the Lanning offense... It's innovative and gets the job done with a mixture of tempos. 

But I still really really miss the blur offense. 

I would say the current offense is more reliable because even if it's a three and out at least they can take time off the clock. The blur's greatest weakness was a three and out took maybe a minute off the clock and then the defense had to get back on the field for probably a long drive. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think we dodged the same bullet with Peterson that we did with Wilcox last year.

The guy was 2-2 against us when favored 3 times.

His "big boy" bowl record was bad.

Plus, he head hunter the ducks as a HC with I think Wilcox as a DC to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, David Marsh said:

In 2015 (when Petersen went to UW) we were coming off a National Championship appearance. Sark went from UW to USC and UW grabbed Petersen. 

Oregon had no interest because Helfrich was our guy at the time. 

Then there was some potential interest after Cristobal left but Petersen really seems done with College Football because of the recruiting side of things. He opted to retire from Washington, he was not fired. 

Agree with this. Helfrich actually was a decent head coach IMHO. The Oregon brand at the time was the blur offense and MH was our guy.

Again, IMHO, what did Helfrich in was his not-so-great hires when it came to DC. The Ducks O was actually still more or less pretty explosive during all of Helfrich's tenure. Unfortunately, OBD hit rock bottom when Brady Hoke was hired to lead the defense - our Swiss cheese D at the time just couldn't stop anybody.

If Helfrich had hired a halfway decent DC, I believe he still would have been HC for at least a little while longer.

There is always a lot of talk about how certain coaches are great assistant coaches but don't quite cut it being HC. I guess Brady Hoke is an anomaly as he is a not-so-great position coach but has had success being a HC lol.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

If Helfrich had hired a halfway decent DC, I believe he still would have been HC for at least a little while longer

I love reading these opinions! However,

IMHO… Hard disagree…

MH’s biggest losses were off the field. 

Darren Carrington MISSED THE NATTY BC OF A POSITIVE DRUG TEST. 

Colt Lyerla is a case study in undeveloped talent and poor mental healthcare. 

I remember every week there being another scandal. 

Oh, and ALL MH’s teams led the league in penalties. 

His special teams players got worse under his tutelage. 

Even his own play-calling got sloppy and lacked nuance. 

MH is simply a classic case of someone being smart and nice but not a leader. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Colt Lyerla is a case study in undeveloped talent and poor mental healthcare. 

I'd say colt was as much of a Kelly problem as a Helfrich problem. Lyerla fell apart at the start of the 2013 season... He played like one game. Sure Helfrich was the HC by this point but Kelly was the HC for the previous years with Lyerla. 

Those problems didn't come out of no where. It was a failure of the entire coaching staff in large part. 

Also... Special teams getting worse may have been the case but the special teams coach didn't change from the bellotti era. This was more a matter of the entire coaching staff having a bit of a drop off. 

Frost was also the one who did the majority of the play calling though Helfrich could give his input but he wasn't doing all the play calling. Then in 2016 Lubrick became the OV and did the play calling. 

Also Kelly's teams were pretty penalty heavy. They shouldn't have been that high but most of the penalties were really false starts that the coaches didn't mind because the offense gobbled up a lot of yards and could negate penalties. 

The wheels did fall off a bit during the Helfrich era but he really wasn't given any time to write the ship. 

He had a winning record and if it was the 2000's he would have been retained because his record was quite positive. If he wanted another HC job he would have gotten one but he has preferred his quite nice semi retirement. 

Don’t forget the bad blood in how Peterson dealt with the Boise State player instigating the LeGarrette punch by calling him  the N-word in front of many witnesses.  Kelly suspended his player for the rest of the regular season,  Peterson did nothing to his player.  Oregon leader ship never forgot that and I don’t think Peterson ever was going to become an Oregon head coach

• Thumbs Up 2

MH’s biggest losses were off the field.

I agree, Dr. Hilarious.  MH was not an HC.  Even if he made better DC hires, he didn't have IT.  There were discipline issues right off the bat, on field and off.  I was immediately very concerned about this.  It reflects weak leadership. 

MH is simply a classic case of someone being smart and nice but not a leader. 

This is it in my opinion.  In my HS experience, being a coordinator is almost an intellectual activity.  Not quite of course, but compared to HC you don't have to deal much with player discipline, motivation, and a host of other things.  You mostly game plan and practice plan and coach your position group (usually QBs) and call plays during the game.  Sure there is more, but it's pretty cerebral.  When I was OC I could be strangely detached from some things that as a HC were vitally important -- I  lived and breathed them and coached with my heart and my guts as well as my head.  MH just wasn't a good leader.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, AllOregon said:

Don’t forget the bad blood in how Peterson dealt with the Boise State player instigating the LeGarrette punch by calling him  the N-word in front of many witnesses.  Kelly suspended his player for the rest of the regular season,  Peterson did nothing to his player.  Oregon leader ship never forgot that and I don’t think Peterson ever was going to become an Oregon head coach

Best tackle Scott Frost ever made was keeping Sugar Ray Blount out of the stands.

• Thumbs Up 2