Charles Fischer

Jordan Burch Highlights: TRY to Not Get Excited!

He is No. 5, and they move him around, although most often at right defensive end--a perfect "JACK" linebacker on the LOS in the Lanning 4-2-5 MINT Defense.  Note once he catches the ball on a pick--he runs like a running back!

When he goes for a tackle--he explodes into it--in a blink of an eye.  Whew!  Nice spin move to the inside, and he really reads the plays well, and sheds blocks superbly. Really good run defender...

He did not have great stats last year, because the "Thibs" effect.  When you are the only Edge-Rushing star on a team, you will be double and triple-teamed, and they will run plays away from you.  Opponents can't do that with Matayo, Dorlus and Popo in the middle or on the other side of Burch.  All of them will benefit from the presence of each other.

Wanna bet that Dorlus has a big year because Burch is there, and vice-versa?

Only 3.5 Minutes...

• Cool 2
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

He is a beast. Are guys his size supposed to be that fast?

What a great addition to the defense. QB’s will definitely want to know where he is lined up. Our players really praised his abilities during the spring practice sessions. Can’t wait to watch him play. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can't wait to see this D this year

• Thumbs Up 2

That was fun to watch and very exciting. The entire defense will benefit from his presence on the field.

All last season the Ducks front 7 was so close to getting a sack or a TFL. They seemed to lack the closing speed. This young man can close.

Thanks Charles for the video clips and a glance at what may be the best defensive player in the PAC in 2023.

I cannot contain my excitement!

We can only hope with this front seven they can play on their toes instead of their heels as they did last season. The speed and size are there. Can that front seven corral the packs slippery QBs with all that speed and elusive ability most of them have. Can’t wait to find out.

He can do two things sadly lacking last year, close and wrap. Burch can close on a player, get to the qb, rb, ball extremely quick. He can also wrap up, guys don't get away from his grip, and he hits with full force. 

The only question I have is, can he go both ways? The guy would be a beast at TE.  6' 5", 275 lbs and he has wheels, can catch. If we get in a bind, there are guys who can at least block and be a distraction, Burch is on the list.

I couldn't watch the whole thing, too much!

On 7/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, Haywarduck said:

The guy would be a beast at TE.  6' 5", 275 lbs and he has wheels, can catch.

Really good call.  You are right, he would, but premier pass-rushers get paid the VERY big-bucks in the NFL, thus I could see saving all his energy for defense.

We will have some big fall-out at Edge Rusher, (12 of them) as there will be four or five who will be so far buried in the depth chart by the end of the season that they will consider transferring.  They are the body-profile to move to Tight End as we saw DJ Johnson do...

DJ Johnson_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have a feeling the defense is going to be sneaky good this season!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I love the way he just holds the edge and holds the contain until he knows he can make a move. I know those were highlights so he doesn't play that well every play but still great instincts. 

He didn't just blindly rush which I think is a big deal. Holding contain on the edge means that plays just can't go to his side which means the rest of the team knows where the play is probably going. 

Also you get a real sense that he knows he can beat his man on any given down. So him holding contain isn't him being contained but doing his job. Because once you know he doesn't need to hold his contain anymore he springs free and is going to party in the backfield. 

• Applause 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:07 AM, Chuck Duck said:

I have a feeling the defense is going to be sneaky good this season!!!

Might start sneaky good because everyone might sleep on it but then it's going to be a terror.

By the middle of the season, the sportscasters on TV will be saying...."I don't even recognize this Oregon defense compared to last year!"

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Do I detect a wager?  Over 9.5?

Someone lining up  as a 5T is supposed to contain the edge, and Jordan is doing a great job of it in this clip. I knew when he pledged to the Ducks that you guys were going to like him. Lets hope that he stays healthy and has a great season. He certainly has the  talent to become a significant asset.

• Thumbs Up 1