1Funduck

Is It Reasonable for Oregon to Reach Top 5 in Recruiting This Year?

It truly depends on how you look at it. 

I am NOT a fan of 'Points'. You can recruit 29 kids and get a mountain of points but they are all 3* and lower. However, if you look at the 'Average' score of each recruit then its a more reasonable barometer to the value of the player. Alabama and the like are sitting at 93.+% points with less number of recruits. Which brings me to this years recruiting class. 

Oregon is slated at #9 by traditional standards. However, Oregon drops to a respectable #14 in ranking by average rating of player. But, wait!! Aren't we going the wrong way? Well..... kinda. If you look closely at the average score its 90.54. To give you perspective, Oregon would be tied for 4th with U$C with only 1.28 increase in percentage points.

A full 10 spot jump!!!!

Oregon and U$C do not have a 5* as of yet. And both schools have a handful of kids to get to fill their remaining slots. This exercise is simply a reminder that 5-15 is tighter than a snare drum at the moment. Also, that total points aren't the begin all end all. Being top 5 in average player is. Period.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2023 at 3:46 AM, 1Funduck said:

It truly depends on how you look at it. 

I am NOT a fan of 'Points'. You can recruit 29 kids and get a mountain of points but they are all 3* and lower. However, if you look at the 'Average' score of each recruit then its a more reasonable barometer to the value of the player. Alabama and the like are sitting at 93.+% points with less number of recruits. Which brings me to this years recruiting class. 

Oregon is slated at #9 by traditional standards. However, Oregon drops to a respectable #14 in ranking by average rating of player. But, wait!! Aren't we going the wrong way? Well..... kinda. If you look closely at the average score its 90.54. To give you perspective, Oregon would be tied for 4th with U$C with only 1.28 increase in percentage points.

A full 10 spot jump!!!!

Oregon and U$C do not have a 5* as of yet. And both schools have a handful of kids to get to fill their remaining slots. This exercise is simply a reminder that 5-15 is tighter than a snare drum at the moment. Also, that total points aren't the begin all end all. Being top 5 in average player is. Period.

I would be surprised if we didn't nab several 5* before this is over.  Chip Kelly, and current beavers coach develop 3* and have huge success.  Mari took a lot of 4* and staff didn't develop, and had crappy schemes.  DL and company get 4/5 level kids, and coach them up with good schemes, there could be no stopping us!

To have a class in the top five, you need two 5-Star players, and at least one to make the top ten.  I believe we are headed to a ultimate top five finish, and am hoping for a new record.

Declaring we go by the average sounds nice, but that means that 3-Star guys are grading you down.  Yet we have 3-Star players that perform better than 4-Star players on a regular basis.  Georgia has a boatload of starters who have gone on to high NFL Draft picks from beginning as a 3-Star.

Like you, I like to look at the average, but I am not swayed by it like I used to.  All you have to do is look at some of our recruiting years and see all the "busts" at 4/5-Star players, yet the class did well for the team due to the development of the 3-Stars.

I believe we need a healthy balance of both, thus I am not stuck on a No. 1 recruiting ranking, or even No. 5, as I think a balance of them that gets you in the top ten will place you well enough in the Blue-Chip ratio...and you will win with that class.

Or...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

No sweat.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am excited that Lanning is getting the kind of student athlete he wants to run the offense and defense he envisions. I also don't think he is chasing stars like the previous coach, but sees both the transfers, and young recruits he wants.

For me the joy of the recruiting numbers was always hollow after MariØ was done with his classes. It was like after going to an all you can eat smorgasborg and you just feel bloated, and many of the decisions made were poor.

With Lanning it seem like we are waiting for our reservation at 2* restaurant that people are talking about maybe earning the elusive third star in the future. Everything on the menu piques your interest. There is potential with every player he recruits to be a unique experience.

The next exciting step is to see Lanning and his assistants make that vision come alive. This is the most exciting step, although it is still interesting to contemplate all the ingredients, and the inevitable experience of tasting that first bite in September and hopefully the final bite early next year. Of course that will be followed by a very nice beverage! 

beer-mug-cheers-leult5wovpbf8vw4.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Need a top ten finish is the best standard to go on. A couple five stars would be amazing! 

A top 5 finish would be nice but the key is at least top ten and make a solid use of the transfer portal. The portal has its own rankings separate from the traditional recruiting ones and there doesn't seem to be a composite that integrates both yet. 

I'd also say the transfer portal rankings out there right now seem super subjective. Programs with the most hype seem to do the best. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hayward, I’m going to need the address of that all-you-can-eat smorgasbord please?

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn’t appear that Lanning and company chase stars like other coaches out there (e.g., see the “under the radar” RB that just committed). Hopefully the coaches prove to be great at evaluating talent and coaching them up to reach their maximum potential. 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 7/16/2023 at 8:27 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Hayward, I’m going to need the address of that all-you-can-eat smorgasbord please?

My understanding that smorgasbord is being served here (see attached photo) now, although quite a few people are getting a little indigestion, and I think they are beginning to identify the cause.

images-7.jpeg

• Mic drop 1

There is always the exception to the rule. However, 4/5*, on a consistent basis, will smoke 3*'s all day long. Give me a roster of 4's and 5's and I'm playing in the playoffs every year. 3*'s with a sprinkling of 4/5's can flirt with playoffs every 10 years. Thats what we have done.

On 7/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, 1Funduck said:

There is always the exception to the rule. However, 4/5*, on a consistent basis, will smoke 3*'s all day long. Give me a roster of 4's and 5's and I'm playing in the playoffs every year. 3*'s with a sprinkling of 4/5's can flirt with playoffs every 10 years. Thats what we have done.

I believe in the BCS and CFP eras there have only been three teams to reach the national championship game without a proper blue chip ratio. 

Oregon 2010-11

Oregon 2014-15

TCU 2022 

And all three games were losses.. Yes, Oregon probably could have should have won the first one in that list it was close and there were some mind boggling awful calls (outside of the Dyer was down fiasco). 

2014-15 Oregon was kinda in it for a half but the wheels fell off. The cupboard of talent was bare at that point and there just wasn't enough talent left on the roster. I don't know if we could have taken Ohio State if we had all our injured players or not at that point but we absolutely couldn't with the talent that we had left. 

Then last year's game TCU showed they weren't even in the same league as Georgia. They didn't have anywhere near the talent to compete, especially for a national championship. That was a pretty embarrassing game. 

So yes... Give us the 4 and 5 stars every day because that will enable us to have the roster to compete. 

On 7/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, 1Funduck said:

There is always the exception to the rule. However, 4/5*, on a consistent basis, will smoke 3*'s all day long. Give me a roster of 4's and 5's and I'm playing in the playoffs every year. 3*'s with a sprinkling of 4/5's can flirt with playoffs every 10 years. That's what we have done.

Right...the way Georgia has done it with great evaluation, and a sprinkling of 3-Stars. I am quite aware of the point you are making since I have written about 100 recruiting articles over time, and that is why I wrote what I did about a real shot at top-five and probable top-ten finish in the recruiting rankings.  Yet having some 3-Stars with a chip on their shoulder, and pushing the 4/5-Stars is a good thing.

Every year I am following closely the number of 4/5-Star players we sign, and write articles about it.  Last year, Lanning's first, was the second best year ever in Oregon football recruiting history with 16 of the 4/5-Star players signed.

Our coaches have been super at evaluation; this year we have seen QB Luke Moga and OL Fox Crader have already been moved up from 3-Star to 4-Star at Rivals, and I expect another one or two.

Luke Moga

Sunnyslope 2024 QB Luke Moga Breaks Down His College Recruitment -  ArizonaVarsity

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mentor vs Pupil.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The best linebacker recruit in the country is deciding between Oregon and Georgia.

• Thumbs Up 1