Annie

Stephen Curry: "I Gotta Go After Sabrina's Record"

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

So cool!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Stephen Curry accepts Sabrina Ionescu's challenge to 3-point shootout; LeBron James on board

Golden State Warriors superstar Stephen Curry will likely always be known as the greatest three-point shooter in the world of basketball, but over the past few days, there’s been some company on his corner.

Once Sabrina Ionescu set the WNBA world on fire over All-Star weekend with a historic performance in the three-point competition, knocking down 25-of-27 shots and scoring an NBA and WNBA record of 37 points in a single round, it started to be questioned whether or not she is as good of a shooter as Curry.

That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, obviously, but the suggestion of a shooting contest between the Oregon legend and the four-time NBA champion is certainly entertaining to consider.

Curry has apparently been considering it as well since watching Sabrina go wild on Thursday.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“We’ve got to settle that one for sure — who’s the best three-point competition shooter.”

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nice opportunity for a charity event. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who would pay good money to watch this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do wonder where the 3 point line would be if this was to happen, is it the 20'6" WNBA line or the 23'9" NBA line, does make a difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say Steph is a good sport about this. Love the interaction. 

Though he should feel pretty good as he got a hole-in-one in last week's charity golf tourney. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, spartan2785 said:

I do wonder where the 3 point line would be if this was to happen, is it the 20'6" WNBA line or the 23'9" NBA line, does make a difference. 

According to Google : The NBA 3-point line is 23.75 feet from the hoop, 22 feet in the corners. The FIBA 3-point line is 22.15 feet from the hoop, 21.65 feet in the corners. The WNBA uses the same 3-point line as FIBA (so, 22.15'). At the NCAA level, the 3-point line distance is 20.75 feet, for both men and women.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The most interesting thing about Steph's ace was his run down the fairway to the green, bouncing all the way. He looked more excited  about it than if he had sunk a buzzer-beater 3 in an NBA playoff game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:27 AM, Annie said:

According to Google : The NBA 3-point line is 23.75 feet from the hoop, 22 feet in the corners. The FIBA 3-point line is 22.15 feet from the hoop, 21.65 feet in the corners. The WNBA uses the same 3-point line as FIBA (so, 22.15'). At the NCAA level, the 3-point line distance is 20.75 feet, for both men and women.

College has 2 lines...women's is less than men's, high school maybe?

On 7/19/2023 at 5:15 AM, JDuck said:

College has 2 lines...women's is less than men's, high school maybe?

Could be, but more googling yields: Moving women's 3-point line to the same distance as international competition and the college men's game starting in the 2021-22 season.

If true, it's fairly recent.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the Steph-Sabrina showdown you’ve got to go with the WNBA line. That, of course, gives Steph the edge….but no excuses should he lose.

Not to take anything away from Sabrina, whose record setting performance may never be equaled, but my money is on Curry.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:18 AM, DUCKED said:

For the Steph-Sabrina showdown you’ve got to go with the WNBA line. That, of course, gives Steph the edge….but no excuses should he lose.

Not to take anything away from Sabrina, whose record setting performance may never be equaled, but my money is on Curry.

Interesting. My thought is that if you go with men's NBA line the edge would be to Steph. But if it's the WNBA line, no advantage for either. We need two contests for a Steph and Sabrina showdown. One at the WNBA line, and second from the NBA line.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, Annie said:

Interesting. My thought is that if you go with men's NBA line the edge would be to Steph. But if it's the WNBA line, no advantage for either. We need two contests for a Steph and Sabrina showdown. One at the WNBA line, and second from the NBA line.

I think they should both shoot from the line they are used to shooting from.  That way neither has to practice and learn a new shot,  which could affect their shooting in regular games.  The differences in distance are tiny and would not really be an advantage for either player. 

I for one, am eager to see it.  I think Sabrina shoots the lights out again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stephen Curry has competed in the 3 point contest in: 2009-10, 12-13, 13-14, 14-15, 15-16, 18-19 and 20-21. 

His best rounds were:

31/40 in 2021

27/34 in 2015

27/34 in 2019

His best final round was:

28/40 in 2021

27/34 in 2015

24/34 in 2019

23/34 in 2016

His most consecutive shots made was 13.

Sabrina went 37/40 with 20 consecutive makes in the final round.

Sabrina doesn't need to do anything, she already did it.  Steph had 7 chances to do what Sabrina did.  He can try the 3 point contest next NBA all-star game in 2024.