Pennsylvania Duck

Pac-12 May Move to 8-Game League Schedule in 2024

The Pac-12 has formed a committee to explore whether to stick with a nine-game schedule or shift to an eight-game slate for the league starting in 2024, commissioner George Kliavkoff tells 247Sports.

The Pac-12 is exploring whether to shrink its conference schedule to eight games starting with the 2024 football season, commissioner George Kliavkoff told 247Sports Friday.

The conference has formed a four-person committee of athletic directors to explore eight- and nine-game schedules.

The committee is charged with preparing proposals, which are expected to be pitched to the 10-school membership by the end of the year. A decision should be finalized before January, Kliavkoff said.

The Pac-12 currently plays a nine-game schedule. The conference eliminated divisions in 2022.

247SPORTS.COM

The Pac-12 has formed a committee to explore whether to stick with a nine-game schedule or shift to an eight-game slate for the...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, PA. I think this decision will have as much or more input from media partners as it will from the conference itself. I don't know if the broadcast partners will be happy about exchanging a P5 game for a game against a G5 or FCS opponent. 

HOPEFULLY, SOS will matter come the 2024 playoff expansion, and teams that play 8 conference games will be dinged for doing so. Well, at least I can wish for this to be the case.

• Let’s hope! 1

If they want to make this move by 2024 they need to act fast because scheduling an additional OCC game is going to be tough and no one is going to schedule anything too interesting because of it being so late in the cycle. 

Well unlikely to schedule anything interesting. 

And it wouldn't just be fire 2024 but probably through 2026 the PAC additional OCC games would also be pretty underwhelming. 

And that's not even getting into the potential chaos of looking at rescheduling a bunch of Ooc games with SDSU if they become a member of the pac-12. Yes, I'm aware that those games could still just be non-conference games of neither party could schedule a true OOC opponent but still. 

I also think the SEC is slowly being nudged towards a 9 game conference schedule. But the SEC has been able to really get away with their 8 game conference schedule and then add an extra FCS opponent at the end of the season thing because they have done a great job saying they are the toughest conference and that makes things "fair" for them. 

I'm not sure the PAC can get away with reducing their number of conference games. Especially if they replace those conference games with lesser completion.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want this model to be implemented in case no one else joins the Pac, plus we would get more interesting matchups involving our Ducks rather than just boring Big 12 matchups.

Maybe Oregon vs. Alabama, Auburn or LSU?

On 7/22/2023 at 8:04 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Maybe Oregon vs. Alabama, Auburn or LSU?

😳

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The problem is that OOC game schedules are made years in advance. If the PAC goes to a 8 game league schedule how many P5 schools have open dates ro fill those slots?

As a fan i would love to do some games with the ACC. Its possible ro get done, assuming the ACC wants to make it happen.

Fun stuff to think about .....

Once again George Kliavkoff moving at the speed of....... you guessed it, a turtle going up a slide.

I mean it is a great idea, but you have to act decisively or at least make a decision. Create committee to see if it makes sense. Then make another committee to see if it is feasible. Then finally make a decision based on common sense, it is too late to make the decision. I'm starting to not like George!

slow-and-steady-wins-the-race.gif

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

At least they're "looking into it".

Teams on the east coast have the luxury of having dozens and dozens of smaller program schools to choose from. All within a reasonable distance for travel.

Us on the "left" coast, not so much.

I believe scheduling a 4th OOC will be difficult. However, as much as I'd hate to help out LA schools, they will now be OOC and thus an attractive opponent. 

If the SEC is determined to stay at 8, the Pac needs to go to 8. Like it or not, the SEC leads the way.

Remember, the aim is a Natty. It's not keeping the fan base happy with home game selection.

Having another win vs a loss will make all Pac teams seem better thus helping the Pac winner of making the playoffs. 

Strength of schedule doesn't seem to affect the SEC, it shouldn't worry us.

Btw, as an old Pac fan, I'd be happy playing 10 conference games and a bi-yearly trip vs Hawaii. (I'd go to all away games) and then winning the Rosebowl.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be interested to see who is available for us to schedule a game with if we go to this, it will be worth it if it allows us to play more games against power 5 opponents, but it will be worthless if we simply schedule more games against the Big Sky or Sun Belt caliber teams.

While it is attractive to go to an 8 game conference schedule, I believe the 9 game schedule assures the conference champ an automatic bid in the CFP.  If any P12 team goes undefeated, that is an automatic bid that would raise the CFP slot above 4 in my opinion.  It will still be difficult to go undefeated in this conference because there are four really good teams remaining (as long as little brother keeps performing well).  

Not a bad idea thinking of matching the SEC, but only if we challenge that conference to visit out West-especially Bama, LSU and UGA.  Tennessee has visited, which was a surprise, and Florida is finally traveling West of the Mississippi for once. I would call out the SEC-stating they protect their reputation by ducking (pun intended) P5 programs by avoiding home and home schedules annually. I'd call out their vaunted reputation and start calling them a regional power instead of a national power because they duck the difficult games.  

• Thumbs Up 2