Charles Fischer

Pac-12 CEO Group, ADs in Conference Call This Afternoon

Mr. FishDuck

Great, the CEO group, the people responsible for hiring and overseeing LS and GK are going to meet. 

Surely this means great things are on the horizon!

• Yikes! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am thinking only of pac-12 survival here... So this just assumes that Oregon and Washington stay in board. 

The keys to holding the remaining members together will depend on a couple things. 

One being to try and reduce some travel burden on the eastern side of the conference. I am sure part of Colorado's problem is that they pay the most in travel costs being the farthest east. I think Colorado is also just unhappy that they are not relevant but that's their fault. 

So adding SMU would be a must, as they seem happy with the extra travel and want to join. Then adding Colorado State or Utah State or another school that is on the eastern side of the conference. 

Adding SDSU is still important and that doesn't change. 

Does the PAC take a page from the big-12 and try to expand more? Grabbing Nevada or UNLV or Fresno? 

• Thumbs Up 2

If the PAC presidents continue to simply adjust each others ascots and exclaim how dashing they all look in their elite little group, then all of this is an epic waste of time for all the fans of the conference.

This has been a five alarm fire since USC and UCLA left a year ago. Canzono rang the alarm years ago about lavish Larry and the looming danger ahead. All we’ve heard since then is “don’t worry, we’ve got this. We know what we’re doing.” From every president and commissioner.

I’ve been a huge supporter of the PAC staying together but I see no other endgame but a fast approaching cliff. I sure hope the UO has a plan B ready to go because I have yet to see even the slightest bit of concern of danger from the rest of the conference.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to wonder how much this will delay the media deal. Weeks, months?

Kliavkoff didn’t even have numbers to show Colorado last week when they called his bluff. I wonder just how far from a deal the PAC-9 (PAC-8? PAC-7? PAC-6?) really is. 

• Yikes! 1

It's a small win for the rest of the PAC... No more 'trap road games' in Colorado during basketball season!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well....if we go to an eight game conference schedule...I know an easy P5 team to schedule for non-conference!

(Maybe more)

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

If there is a group party (group) to blame for the mess the Pac finds itself in, the CEO group is that entity.

It did not excercise over control or effective oversight over Livin Large Larry, resulting in a litany of negative outcomes over a long period of time.

They can cite vacancies, turnover, respect to incoming peers, other priorities in acadamia or administration. This group has failed miserably over 7-10 years protecting Maslow's highest need - Survival, let alone flourishing growth.

The topic, related history, and outcomes would make a pathetic Business Case study.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dont crucify me and Im a Pac guy through and through early 60's forward, however, if the conference is going disband Id rather all thats left including OSU & WSU joining the B12 versus, a few of us to the ACC and/or Big10.

With the exit of TX & OK to SEC a super conference made up from B12&P12 makes a lot of since. Have 2 or 3 divisions.

They seem to have pro business/active leadership and to me thats huge, and football in their region is huge. Yep a little humber pie would taste terrible but the vitality of a blended conference would be nice.

Maybe Nebraska can be lured to the PAC. They haven't had a lot of success in the Big10. 🙃

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I have to wonder how much this will delay the media deal. Weeks, months?

Kliavkoff didn’t even have numbers to show Colorado last week when they called his bluff. I wonder just how far from a deal the PAC-9 (PAC-8? PAC-7? PAC-6?) really is. 

what deal? we have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this mythical deal that will be a layup and will save the conference and make everything better.  It can't be just Colorado getting tired of waiting

• Applause 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, pastatot said:

what deal? we have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this mythical deal that will be a layup and will save the conference and make everything better.  It can't be just Colorado getting tired of waiting

Colorado probably has the least amount of patience. They have had no success in the PAC since joining and they have all of the sudden become a prized institution to the big-12 and they feel they have a super star coach in football who will turn the whole thing around in a year. 

Utah has had success and the Arizona schools have had success and a history in the PAC. Not saying they won't be tempted or the next targets for the big-12 but I think they have a bit more patience than Colorado. 

Colorado's move to the PAC was an absolute failure for them. They became the doormat of the conference which is saying something considering they went from power 5 to power 5 whereas Utah went from G5 to P5 and has had success. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

IMO, Colorado is in a unique position. This media deal is just the icing on the cake. First, Colorado js sick of being irrelevant, they are sick of being a bottom feeder, and they are sick of not having the support from the fans. Colorado made the boldest move in all of college football. Everyone is watching Colrado this year, EVERYONE. 

Now, you have a commited donor base expecting action. They are sick of growing old and not seeing something to be proud of. They are testy and won't put up with this immature mess any longer. Losing seasons for a decade? Thats about to vanish with the Hiring of "Prime". Returning support of fans? Spring game sold out with a $10 seat charge, that's incredible! Now, the iron is red hot and Kliavkoff hasnt produced a media deal. The people behind the scenes are done! Change is in the air so a move isn't hurting anyone right now.

Everyone in Colorado is willing to change and are all on board. Leaving the PAC probably makes the most sense out of all the schools. They have had enough and I don't blame them. If Oregon had a losing season for 12 years and finishing it off with a 1-11 record, I'm pretty sure we would all be praising Oregons decision for 'ANYTHING' other than the status quo.