Pennsylvania Duck

Ducks React to Move to Big Ten, Longer Travel to Games

The Oregon Ducks will face better competition and become far more accessible for fans to watch when they move to the Big Ten next year.

That in turn will lead to more money via the conference’s media rights distribution compared to what UO has received and could’ve received had it stayed in the Pac-12.

But joining the more prestigious and successful league based overwhelmingly in the Midwest also comes with logistical burdens that will be felt across Oregon’s 20 sports teams.

Asked whether Oregon has made commitments for charter flights when its teams have to fly as far as New Jersey, Maryland and central Pennsylvania, UO athletic director Rob Mullens said those details are still being sorted out.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Joining the more prestigious and successful conference based overwhelmingly in the Midwest comes with more money for...

These teams will travel to Eugene too. We will have 2 games at least to west coast schools and one OCC game probably fairly local and/or at home so that's 3 or 4 far away games at most. But its going to be tough on the kids.

IMHO opinion, the Ducks should never play an OOC game on the road after they conclude their contract committments.

Any road games should be conference matchups, only.

OBD's dont need to schedule any big time neutral site games. Its not necessary.......

There will be seasons we will have Michigan, tOSU and Iowa on the schedule. Or Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin. Thats plenty of SOS.

Not to mention the west coast teams.

Duck fans should have 3 home OOC games to attend that are fun and provide valuable playing time for backups.

GO DUCKS.....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 8/10/2023 at 8:48 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IMHO opinion, the Ducks should never play an OOC game on the road after they conclude their contract committments.

Any road games should be conference matchups, only.

Well with a 10 game schedule.. absolutely no road games. Granted I wouldn't count Oregon state a road game. That's one of the few games played that an away game is a bus trip.

With 3 ooc games (9 game conference schedule) I say one away game to say Cal, Stanford, or WSU would be fine. 

The issue isn't with football.  There are only four or five conference away games.  Not a problem for football.  In fact, they get to go to some awesome venues.  Well, the equipment truck has to leave earlier maybe.

The issue is with the other 20 sports.  Softball has to travel to Maryland and Pennsylvania in early spring instead of Corvallis or the Bay Area or Arizona.  Etc. etc.

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not to seem insensitive, but these "haves" complaining about travel issues should really think about the "have-nots" who are wondering if their school will even have their sport anymore.

Change is inevitable...

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:22 PM, Cacker Guy said:

Maryland and Pennsylvania in early spring instead of Corvallis

Spring is a lot drier in the Mid-Atlantic than in the Willamette Valley. 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:56 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

Not to seem insensitive, but these "haves"

Well, it sounds like you are giving a friendly reminder to fans of the "haves", and that is actually very sensitive and nice of you. Personally, I haved never harbored any ill will towards USC or UCLA for bailing to the B1G. 

It was clear the writing was on the wall before USC/UCLA left that the future was in the SEC and the B1g, and not much else. I still think the BIG 12, even with their recent Pac additions, is basically B-team conference. The Pac was almost that as well before the LA teams left, and certainly, in my opinion, became a budget class conference afterwards. 

It would be pretty hard to do, but I hope more people can learn to take things less personal- or to let things go. I hate to say it, but I do not feel too sorry for Oregon State.

On 8/10/2023 at 10:56 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

Change is inevitable

True, but it can be change for the worse, or change for the better. Speaking up for your needs is not ingratitude especially when your are considered a minor player and will likely get the "short end of the stick."

• Great post! 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:53 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The Oregon Ducks will face better competition and become far more accessible for fans to watch when they move to the Big Ten next year.

That in turn will lead to more money via the conference’s media rights distribution compared to what UO has received and could’ve received had it stayed in the Pac-12.

But joining the more prestigious and successful league based overwhelmingly in the Midwest also comes with logistical burdens that will be felt across Oregon’s 20 sports teams.

Asked whether Oregon has made commitments for charter flights when its teams have to fly as far as New Jersey, Maryland and central Pennsylvania, UO athletic director Rob Mullens said those details are still being sorted out.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Joining the more prestigious and successful conference based overwhelmingly in the Midwest comes with more money for...

No charter? Show me the frequent flyer miles, Rob!

image.gif.0f51001bb3ca2a922b41ab1616dbef1a.gif

On 8/11/2023 at 12:38 PM, 2002duck said:

Spring is a lot drier in the Mid-Atlantic than in the Willamette Valley. 

But it's a lot farther away.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:08 PM, Cacker Guy said:

But it's a lot farther away.

I'm not sure when you graduated from the UO, but I got my undergraduate degree in 2002 and I can tell you that football and basketball players showed up to class very infrequently- like three times in a term- even Joey Harrington in business school courses. 

Now that we have sophisticated online course capabilities, I can only imagine it would be that much easier for student athletes to do remote learning.

What's more, kids these days love taking pictures or videos to post on Instagram or TikTok. They can take selfies with the Manhattan skyline in the background when they go to Rutgers, and the Washington Monument and the Washington Mall if they drive 30 minutes (about 12 miles) south from Maryland's campus.   

The student athletes should be honored and thankful to have the opportunity to fly across our nation's country. 

Edited by 2002duck
  • Great post! 1

Just wanted to stop by and say congrats. I believe you guys will do really well in the BIG.

The travel across all sports will be an issue for you guys for the next few years for sure, but once you get to the point where you're getting a full share it won't be an issue financially. 

Now the impact it has on the student athletes is a whole other ballgame. I was a college athlete and went on some fairly long bus trips. But I was not traveling clear across the country and across several times zones. I have to say I do think that will have an impact.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree it will have an impact. Those currently on teams that don't want that much travel can always portal out. Future athletes that don't want to deal with that much travel can always find some where else to go to school. It may effect the records of non revenue sports more but I think the big three will have minimal impact but we'll see.