FishDuck Article

Conference of Clunkers: Legacy of Larry Scott, George Kliavkoff

Some people take action, stay ahead of trends and live on the bleeding edge of change. And others simply like to watch the world burn. And so here we are with the Pac 4, the smoldering ruins of a storied 108-year-old conference, decimated by inflated egos, overconfidence and incompetence under the failed leadership of former and current commissioners Larry Scott ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Some people take action, stay ahead of trends and live on the bleeding edge of change. And others simply like to watch the world burn. And...

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article. Lays out where much of the breakdown occurred. Then this tweet followed by this quote happened. 

Screenshot_20230814_064300_DuckDuckGo.jpg.f983c93f957d0688cca632a26ccc56da.jpg

Poor form!

Great article.The fall of the PAC is such an epic tragic comedy, Shakespeare could not have written it any better.

For once James Crepea gives someone else grief with a long statement/question.

As for GK?  In our rear-view mirror, as he is now Oregon State's problem.

While it is a terrible shame, we now can see that a good deal was never going to happen.  The entities were not going to pay what we needed, and the best judgment of it all was leaving for the B1G...which is something I thought I'd never write.

But as time passes I am more and more delighted with the decision.  Oregon will be fine...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Yes, OBDF, our Ducks will be fine.

So much of what held the Ducks, at arms length is gone. The BIG is a conference that sits at the table.

The networks get the media numbers that they want.

We as Duck fans, will get games at Autzen with tOSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU, IOWA, Wisconsin and Nebraska. WIns against these teams will carry clout. Most years we will have games against 2 or 3 Top 10 teams.

Yes, the flights are longer. So they leave 3 hours earlier. It will work out and we get our shot on the field.

Poor leadership, poor decisions and no loyalty ro the PAC 12 Conference led to this.

OBD's can make the best of that situation.

• Applause 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:52 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Most years we will have games against 2 or 3 Top 10 teams.

Yes, we are part of a Super-Conference now, and Oregon is part of what makes it super.  For those that missed it--for the final top 25 last year--analyze the future SEC and B1G and both had seven in the top 25, with the higher ranking going to the B1G!

The SEC is no longer going to be the default "best" conference, and Our Beloved Ducks will have a part in making that true.

Oregon Poster_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Traditionally the Pac has had maybe 1-3 teams every year that can win the conference championship and are ranked. Oregon has done very well for sometime and fans have been riding that wave of success and anticipation form year to year.

It's going to be imperative that we do well in the Big from the start, so that fandom and interest doesn't dampen bit by bit. 

Why in the name of Clarence Darrow has the Pac-12 not cross-claimed against Larry Scott in the wrongful termination suit filed by the 2 Pac-12 Network executives who were terminated for covering up the Comcast fiasco? The two plaintiffs claim they informed Scott of the accounting error, cost is expected to be $50M+ for the conference, $4M plus for each member school. 

Scott will obviously be deposed by the plaintiff's counsel. Scott knows this and the conference has to cross-claim before Scott settles with 2 fired executives. The conference D+O insurance will not cover Scott if his malfeasance is proven. 

This is another case of the 'leaders (?)' of the Pac-12 costing every member school by their failure to act.

Great take Jordan but Scott had bosses who allowed his spendthrift spending and then hired Scott Redux, GK, a guy with zero college sports experience. If a public company, the university presidents are the folks who would and should be sued by the shareholders. 

EVERY major business decision these folks made by commission and omission went in the opposite direction of the decisions that should have been made. It would have been a business miracle if the conference had survived. Very sad but you reap what you sow and what you do not sow.

I'm mad as hell but I'll just have to bend over and take it.

image.gif.76ca57203a8c844695e41e7a0a5bd58e.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

In an evaluation interview with my boss (quite a few years back), after looking over the scores I gave myself, he said, "you seem to have a higher opinion of yourself than anyone else".

I knew then I wasn't getting the promotion. 

The Pac12 leadership group appears to have suffered from the same delusions.

While the two former commissioners certainly deserve a good deal of blame, there seems to be plenty to go around. 

The presidents long support of Scott (with OSU & ASU leading the way) and failure to give football the attention ($$$) it deserved, was devastating. 

Believing their own press clippings (we're the conference of champions) didn't help either. This arrogance is almost laughable when compared to how the rest of the country and networks think of us.

Being misled by USuC president is also a major cause in my book.

A perfect storm of malfeasance and greed and ineptitude. 

I personally have one ray of light from all this. My 16 year old grandson has been a Beaver fan since he was 4 (only one in the family!) Now that they will play in separate conferences, he has agreed he will now cheer for the Ducks to win (until they play each other in a bowl).

I will happily take this as a small victory for the horrible leadership and collapse of the Pac.

Now let's go win this last season!

• Thumbs Up 1

I've (mostly) held my tongue during this slow rolling fiasco, the deterioration of the PAC-12.  It was like watching a creeping, inescapable wildfire taking out our home.  But let's be brutally honest here.  Simply EVERYONE on this forum could have been wiser and more determined to drive the league to continuing success than the idiot team of LS, GK, and the moronic lack of attention by university regents and presidents.  And I'd venture that we'd be a lot more open and honest about the processes.  Granted we don't know the little secrets of the PAC meetings or media negotiations.  But still ... this band of inept power-holders (I-P's for short) destroyed a century old conference in double time.

The supposed saving deal with Apple was nonsense from the start.  Without linear broadcast of games, competitive money could not be achieved.  Lack of media visibility for OBD would have damaged recruiting for years and the damage would appear in very short order.  The "cutting edge" streaming argument, the idea of "getting to the next big thing" in sports broadcasting, was also a false dream.  The real approaching monster is and has been that of Super Conferences.  And this trend has been on the map for a decade.  It has been as plain to see coming as sunrise in the east.  That should have been the aggressive direction taken by the PAC's merry band of I-P's.  Joining or developing one was the right move.  And that's not said with "hindsight".

Alas.  I'm so glad that OBD are now saved by the Hobson's Choice of getting into one of the forward charging Super Conferences.  It was probably quite difficult for the OU President and Board of Trustees to land on this last one and only best decision.  Good work, folks.  Yeah.  That's it.

Edited by Mudslide

This only put the finishing nails to the lid on the coffin.  The coffin's been sitting in the room for some time now.

Pac-12 Propaganda and the Inside Story of the Failed Media Deal

We take a look at what brought down the Pac-12 and more.

247SPORTS.COM

We take a look at what brought down the Pac-12 and more.

• Thumbs Up 1