FishDuck Article

Five Takeaways From Oregon’s Week 1 Drubbing of Portland State

Of all the stats this weekend, the most impressive was The Duck’s 546 push-ups during No. 15 Oregon’s 81-7 beatdown of Portland State on Saturday at Autzen Stadium in Eugene. Seriously impressive. Mascots aside, the Oregon Ducks’ Week 1 showing was everything fans were hoping for and a little bit more. Scratch that — a whole lot more. In their ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Of all the stats this weekend, the most impressive was The Duck's 546 push-ups during No. 15 Oregon's 81-7 beatdown of Portland State on...
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Jordan for the positive look at the Ducks home opener!  

I too was impressed with Coach Stein and his play calling.  I'm glad that any questions I might have had during the off season were answered.  No worries about Coach Dillingham leaving.

The defense learned they had to adjust a vanilla defensive plan to account for the PSU very mobile QB.  They did, and shut them down the rest of the day.  I fully support not giving Texas Tech any idea what kind of havoc they will see next week.

Thanks again, Jordan, I always like reading your take on Our Beloved Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The 3rd down conversion rate defensively is nice to see. I don't remember many, if any, conversions 3-7 yards between the hash. Can't really remember PSU attacking middle at any depth. 20 pass attempts is a pretty low stat.

Big point of concern heading into the season. Seems to be defended but being PSU, who knows.

There is plenty of film Lanning can use as teaching moments regardless of strength of opponent or scoreboard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Loved how you backed up your lofty read of the game with the statistics to put it all in perspective, well done!

I would combine a couple of your observations and say Stein knows how to develop qb's. This may be the most important development we saw on Saturday.

The transition of Ty is nothing short of miraculous. Any athlete who has had a case of the the yips who makes a turnaround is a feat you don't often see. Ty looked like a guy who can play and was set up for success, two things we haven't seen before.

Novosad didn't look like he was playing high school ball last year at this time. The young man looked like he could come in and play real minutes at the D1 level.

This, to me, was the biggest Duck Stein pulled out of his hat. Continuing Nix's success was nice to see, seeing two back-ups look like they are ready to play was priceless!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Seeing the stats lined up like that makes the game that much more impressive.  Probably the biggest impression most of us received were all the weapons Oregon has on offense--more than we thought and Coach Stein is using them!

Thanks Jordan.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/4/2023 at 7:56 AM, Haywarduck said:

The transition of Ty is nothing short of miraculous. Any athlete who has had a case of the the yips who makes a turnaround is a feat you don't often see. Ty looked like a guy who can play and was set up for success, two things we haven't seen before.

Agreed. What we saw from Ty is unlike anything compared to the last two years, and it was startling.  When you consider how Stein has recruited three 4-Star QBs before he had even called a play for us, the offense we saw, and now the improvement in Ty?  Will Stein be the best OC ever at Oregon?

"Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early," and thus I love what we have seen thus far!

Mighty Oregon Podcast: Will Stein | Pac-12

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/4/2023 at 5:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed. What we saw from Ty is unlike anything compared to the last two years, and it was startling.  When you consider how Stein has recruited three 4-Star QBs before he had even called a play for us, the offense we saw, and now the improvement in Ty?  Will Stein be the best OC ever at Oregon?

"Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early," and thus I love what we have seen thus far!

Mighty Oregon Podcast: Will Stein | Pac-12

Agree and I look forward to Stein's play calling and game management to go up against the formidable offensive minds and programs he will face as the season progresses. Those will be big tests, but he showed he has the chops to win against anyone.

He has the weapons to win games, and I don't just mean the players on the field. What he showed last Saturday, on many levels, was truly impressive.

The one stat which stood out to me Nix rushing yds. 0, Ty rushing 25 yds. He knows how to use the starting qb, and how to get the backup going.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's another player that stood out to me. In fact, he smacked the college world in the face with his aggressive play. Dowdell hit the hole like a freight train!! He was consistently getting 4-5 yards after first contact. Absolutely impressive!!

We need more CowBell...errrr DowDell!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Charles (Mr. FishDuck), Have enjoyed how many of our reader/participants/Duck fans have picked up and re-used for emphasis a very incisive phrase you have used, and perhaps coined: "Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early,... ."

Thanks. That is a great phrase and it is loaded with experiential truth. I believe it will bear even more fruit as the early season develops.

The TT team has their early season backs against the wall (due to that altitude effect and the outcome in Wyoming). Our OBD need to be ready for a similar but lesser effect in Lubbock. Our Ducks will notice the difference just before half-time, and then moreso in the 2d half. Drink from those oxygen bottles and bear down!

Go Fightin' Ducks! Win, Ducks, Win!

VR, KCDuck1

• Applause 1

Gimme 5! And give me more FishDuck articles like this! Thank you, Jordan. Now, will Puddles cross the Jordan and perform push-ups in the final Final 4?

Charles and Coach Boles know the Xs and Os. And Bo in limited play showed that he hasn't missed a beat from 2022.

On to Lubbock! Don't forget your sunscreen. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

I was glad to see that Nix never ran the ball. Future opponents will definitely be forced to account for his mobility and ability to read defenses in plays when an RPO play is called.

Smart QB with a good arm and a big threat to run…dangerous!!

Ty played solid with the limited snaps he was able to take, and we all are glad he now looks to be a capable QB.

He does need to learn to slide to avoid big contact when he decides to run. I cringed when I saw him lower his shoulder to take on a defensive back on one of his runs. 

Expectations are high and if this team continues to improve they very well may be in the spotlight late in the season. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:51 AM, KCDuck1 said:

"Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early,... ."

Thank you.

It is not foolproof, but it is telling the vast majority of the time when applied to players, coaches, and my experiences in the work-world.

The other part of it that is equally crucial to me?  When Weakness Emerges Early--it never turns into Greatness. You put a ton of time into this person to elevate this person to just average, or below average.  Better to put the time into finding a winner who performs out of the gate.

Mr. FishDuck

Would like to see some sacks!  But...maybe a vanilla D just like the O...no need to reveal the whole playbook against PSU.  What I really like is that legit playoff contending teams beat FCS teams by scores like this.  Cristbal's teams would have won this 42-24...

25 freshmen saw action apparently.

Great article Mr. Ingram. Thanks.

My only take-away, I wish this was the team that played UGA last year.

We may not have won, but that awful final score would have been different. 

This team looked disciplined. 

For a first game!

Good tackling.

Good team communication on defensive play calling. 

Zero. None. No procedure penalties. 

And what about that offense! I couldn't blink, let alone get up and leave for another beverage, or I'd miss something for sure.

Oregon did exactly what you want a championship team to do, play hard, fast, clean and just win.

We have now seen what coach Lanning means by the "Oregon standard".

They bring that every week, we are in for fun times and exciting games.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2