Mic

Thoughts on Florida St - LSU?

For my dime, this was the best game so far of the CFB.  Not just because of the high dual ranking (#5 vs. #8) but just the way the game was played and fought.  Both teams showed a lot of grit and determination.  The younger Norvell got the better of his older mentor Kelly.  This time.  It might not be the same when/if Fla. State comes to Baton Rouge.

Florida State seemed to have worn the LSU defense down finally and all those lost opportunities the Tigers had proved too costly in the end, as they often do. I think the Seminoles looked to be both a littler better prepared and a little better conditioned, but it's hard to tell.  Anyway, the winners were the fans who got to see such a good game of two high-level teams throwing all the dice on an early season matchup that could well determine the fate of each in January.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kelly was a bad hire for LSU. 1976 offense doesn't work anymore.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Brian Kelly was a bad hire for LSU. 1976 offense doesn't work anymore.

They (LSU) moved the ball pretty well for 3/4 of the game - until they got down close to the goal line.  There's were FSU really shinned.  I give credit to Norvell's Defense (and perhaps some bad play-calling decisions, ie; not to take the FG's).  So,maybe you're partially right.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, Mic said:

They (LSU) moved the ball pretty well for 3/4 of the game - until they got down close to the goal line.  There's were FSU really shinned.  I give credit to Norvell's Defense (and perhaps some bad play-calling decisions, ie; not to take the FG's).  So,maybe you're partially right.

LSU may win 6 games in the SEC this year. I don't think that's what the AD had in mind when they hired him. JD wasn't that great at ASU in terms of winning.

Back to my original point, tho. Don't you think it was an entertaining and interesting game as compared to many others similar to Oregon's with PSU?  Reminiscent of last years toss-of-the-dice with Oregon playing the former National Champion Georgia Bulldogs.  We didn't like the outcome but it was probably good for the program, in the long-run.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Brian Kelly was a bad hire for LSU.

For anyone.  After that kid was killed filming practice in dangerous conditions, he should have been fired.

DEADSPIN.COM

At precisely 4:50 pm, a 50-foot scissor lift tower collapsed in winds exceeding 50 mph, killing the 20-year-old student filming football practice for the team. It shouldn't have come to that.

Plus continued practicing = despicable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Mic said:

Back to my original point, tho. Don't you think it was an entertaining and interesting game as compared to many others similar to Oregon's with PSU?  Reminiscent of last years toss-of-the-dice with Oregon playing the former National Champion Georgia Bulldogs.  We didn't like the outcome but it was probably good for the program, in the long-run.

Actually I thought the entire game was boring and Ive never seen so many dropped balls, BTW I like LSU and hate FSU. I have tremendous respect for a school that has so many in-state recruits(LSU) I am not happy with the outcome. However IM not a BK fan.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best contest of the weekend in my opinion. Travis, the FSU QB seems highly capable. FSU could grab the conference championship and go further.

• Thumbs Up 1

"I thought we were better?' Brian Kelly

Bri, I feel your pain. I thought my concept of underrated/overrated was better. Same with my wagering recommendations.

LSU will win at least 9 games in the 2023 regular season.

FSU gets a win at Clemson in Week 4 for the first time in the last 8 games, FSU should stroll into the final Final 4. 

To think, when ASU hired Herm to revolutionize CFB, the Sun Devils could have hired FSU coach and former ASU assistant coach,   Mike Norvell. So far, Mike has prospered from poaching the portal. And FSU fans beefed when Mike was hired to replace the failed Slick. SMH.

FSU RB Tre Benson is another guy that Mari(o) buried.

• Great post! 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

U R correcto-mundo! Nice catch.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

LSU may win 6 games in the SEC this year. I don't think that's what the AD had in mind when they hired him. JD wasn't that great at ASU in terms of winning.

For me, Jayden Daniels reverted to ASU form.  His accuracy had always been suspect to me, and I just don't think he is clutch enough versus elite teams.

Brian Kelly said as much without staying it ( though he did mention it walking off the field at halftime).  Daniels is the key to their season.  Travis Jordan stepped up under major guess in the second quarter, while Daniels missed targets in the red zone.  

Jordan is growing while Daniels is treading water.  Brian Kelly cannot throw on Third and long, cannot hit open WRs, he can only provide Daniels the opportunity- and that opportunity was plenty enough.  LSU should have buried FSU early, and they didn't- that was all Daniels.

Edited by Mike West
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

"I thought we were better?' Brian Kelly

Bri, I feel your pain. I thought my concept of underrated/overrated was better. Same with my wagering recommendations.

LSU will win at least 9 games in the 2023 regular season.

FSU gets a win at Clemson in Week 4 for the first time in the last 8 games, FSU should stroll into the final Final 4. 

To think, when ASU hired Herm to revolutionize CFB, the Sun Devils could have hired FSU coach and former ASU assistant coach,   Mike Norvell. So far, Mike has prospered from poaching the portal. And FSU fans beefed when Mike was hired to replace the failed Slick. SMH.

Reminds me of what J Winston said after we crushed FSU in the Rose Bowl, " it was close, we coulda won" or something as silly.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2

Norville has his train gaining steam. Projected #5

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:36 PM, DanLduck said:

Reminds me of what J Winston said after we crushed FSU in the Rose Bowl, " it was close, we coulda won" or something as silly.

"It could have gone either way."

• Thumbs Up 1

For the record, I have never been high on Jaden Daniels.

And quite frankly, I was surprised at FSUs physicality. They reminded me a bit of two of the physicality defensive beasts of the SEC's Georgia and Kentucky.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:29 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

And quite frankly, I was surprised at FSUs physicality. They reminded me a bit of two of the physicality defensive beasts of the SEC's Georgia and Kentucky.

Edited by Mic

On 9/4/2023 at 5:53 PM, Mic said:

For my dime, this was the best game so far of the CFB.  Not just because of the high dual ranking (#5 vs. #8) but just the way the game was played and fought.  Both teams showed a lot of grit and determination.  The younger Norvell got the better of his older mentor Kelly.  This time.  It might not be the same when/if Fla. State comes to Baton Rouge.

Florida State seemed to have worn the LSU defense down finally and all those lost opportunities the Tigers had proved too costly in the end, as they often do. I think the Seminoles looked to be both a littler better prepared and a little better conditioned, but it's hard to tell.  Anyway, the winners were the fans who got to see such a good game of two high-level teams throwing all the dice on an early season matchup that could well determine the fate of each in January.  

Great take but for me, the best Week 1 game was CU's win at TCU. Playoff-wise, FSU defeating LSU did have more of an impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2023 at 2:05 PM, Mic said:

What happens when you tap the portal? FSU wins. Clemson fumbles, bumbles, and stumbles and face plants on Chaple Hill.  

• Haha 1

LSU got rolled! I watched quite a bit of that game (when I wasn't making/eating dinner). Looked to me like they were gassed too early, plus horribly out-schemed. But I have to feel a little sorry for LSU, as they also had ZERO SACKS! 

Some of you on here remember a certain LSU fan from this other site (6) who I'd love to chat with right about now. 😆

LSU will rebound, but prolly not enough to be a contender. BK is a good coach. He'll get his team to a good bowl. 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:15 PM, Krsmqn said:

LSU will rebound, but prolly not enough to be a contender. BK is a good coach. He'll get his team to a good bowl. 

With the resources C has, he'd better. Historically impatient.

• Thumbs Up 1