jrw

Nearly 50% of FBS Schools Have an Aussie Punter

The link has a paywall, so I can’t read it. However, My alma mater is a D2 school and they’ve had Australian punters the last 10 years or so. All from Prokick Australia which I assume is what the article is about. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 9/7/2023 at 6:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The link has a paywall, so I can’t read it

Sorry about the paywall. It is about ProKick...61 of 133 FBS schools currently have an Aussie punter on the roster, including 12 o 14 is the SEC. Coaches say playing Aussie rules football teaches players how to kick quickly and accurately amidst chaos while barely glancing at the ball.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ducks have 2 Aussie punters!

But it was the American from Mississippi who kicked the only punt on Sat—a whopping 58 yards at that. 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Interesting how in football and many sports there is a constant evolution on how things are done to create a competitive advantage. In basketball there really isn't much other than elite athletes getting bigger, and jumping higher.

Take the free throw, they could shoot a higher percentage if the poor shooters shot under handed, but that will never happen. Now in Korea players are shooting bank shots on their free throws and increasing their percentage, but I doubt the NBA players will adopt this technique. 

As long as there is innovation a game will keep me curious and interested. If the game evolves like the NBA, not so much. There will always be the player I want to see once, maybe twice, but the interest fades quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps the USA needs a Pro Kick America.  Or, we welcome the situation as a way to expand our international audience.

1 reason to go Down Under on a lot of bets. 

• Haha 1

My wife and I were lucky enough to live in Australia for about 3 years in the mid-2000s. We really grew to like Aussie Rules Football. We would watch the Sydney Swans and Illawarra Dragons. One funny cultural difference that we loved was that fans wouldn't yell go swans or go dragons. They would yell go the swans or go the dragons. So in honor of Oregon's two Aussie punters, go the Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1