Charles Fischer

OBD Members: You are the Few, and Darned RARE in Today's Culture

This forum should be four to five times larger after being in existence for two years.  We are about the same size as about four months after we began, and frankly--I do not see that changing. Why? Because with all the good new people that join us--we lose an equal number of good people who do not want to live within our rules requiring everyone to be "polite and respectful."

It says a TON about all of you, as you are bucking against the current incredibly selfish culture.  The list of former members who used to be active and left, (I did not ban them!) would blow you away. "I remember that guy--he wrote great stuff!  What happened?"

He broke the rules, and received a notification email from me.  Not a ban, not even a warning, just a notification of violating our rules.  Then I tell them, "now let's move forward and forget about it," but no--they decide that if anyone should hamper their ability to write whatever they want to write, whenever they want to write it?  They leave...

Today's selfish culture!

The sad truth I've learned is, most people do not want civility these days.  And that is why we remain in a "stable" size of forum.  It blows me away, as I thought the vast majority of people would want civility, but that is not the case.

giphy.gif

It is true.  You are the rare few who don't want politics, and do not want the nastiness of the rest of the world here.  Please take pride in being here, and being an OBD member, as it does make you unique, and a cut above the vast majority on other forums.  It is safe to read here, and safe to post. Whew!

The good news? With limited growth--I have less moderating issues than in the first year, and that's a good thing!

And this forum will never go away; the ads pay for the costs, we have selfless moderators volunteering their time to keep it clean, and it is my own personal GREEN REFUGE that I cannot live without. I don't care if there were only five of us left; I would rather have rational discussion with four, than be a part of the nonsense everywhere else.

I love this community.

Charles

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 4

Mr. FishDuck

I have a life's-too-short category that grows almost daily, BUT this forum is nowhere near it.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Agree and one of the reasons I like coming here.  

There was so much hyperbole and firing of coaches on  other message boards Saturday night that it was ridiculous.  One person even went so far as to say Mullens should rescind the new contract DL just got.   Yes, you read that right.  I get that we all get caught up in the moment but sometimes Oregon fans give Oregon fans a bad name.

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Charles.  As someone who just recently experienced the breaking of the rules and receiving the "friendly" email notification from you, I realize that I do want the polite and respectful discourse and that this site is too valuable to leave.  Who knows, it might even end up helping me become a better person (despite my distaste for some football coaches).  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 2

This is the closest thing to another site I joined in the early 90's (yes, dial-up era) that was also a great community which shared info that was hard to get back in those days on recruiting, scrimmages and practice updates.  

But it sold to one of the big recruiting sites and was immediately flooded with rage-aholics and trolls from partner websites with very little mod control.  I started to feel like a chaperone at a frat party.....

giphy.gif.42085f6e3c6190aa8b0303367a669c6a.gif

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, Graziani93 said:

Thank you, Charles.  As someone who just recently experienced the breaking of the rules and receiving the "friendly" email notification from you, I realize that I do want the polite and respectful discourse and that this site is too valuable to leave.  Who knows, it might even end up helping me become a better person (despite my distaste for some football coaches).  

Thank you Graziani93.

Please keep in mind my Duck-Buddy....nobody wears halos here.  Yours-truly has made some doozy mistakes, and last December I listed a bunch in a pinned post, owned up to them, and apologized to affected parties.  I am also trying to get better, but as the moderators will tell you--I lose my head once in a while.

Thank goodness I have these wonderful moderators who will text me to ask about a recent post of mine and ask...."are you sure about that?"  So, I am a flawed sinner like all, just trying to get better.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks FishDuck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Much appreciated, Charles.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

and last December I listed a bunch in a pinned post, owned up to them, and apologized to affected parties. 

Charles, get with the program. Don't you know, people don't really apologize today. Their publicists and pr hacks issue something for them. Man, are you out of touch.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, tee duke said:

Charles, get with the program. Don't you know, people don't really apologize today. Their publicists and pr hacks issue something for them. Man, are you out of touch.

The Seven Pillars of You, Not I, was in Error.

It wasn't My Fault!

SODDI - Some Other Dude Did It!

Can't blame Me! I wasn't brought up right!

I was misquoted! Mean people refuse to erase what I didn't mean to say. Where's my Safe Space?

OK, I wasn't misquoted but I did not mean what I said so you can't hold it against me.

I'm just an Influencer so don't blame me if the product stinks. 

It's all Oregon and Washington's fault!

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn't help but weigh in on this. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I've been a long-time reader (since the zone read breakdowns of the Chip offense) but signed up only recently. I love this forum.

To Steven A's point, I have a " life's too short" category too, but mine includes reading petty message board back-and-forths of fans arguing with each other while adding nothing to the forum, which is something I don't find here.

Thanks for creating this, Charles. And thanks to all of the writers and regular posters for bringing such great info and analysis. Very much appreciated. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks for all you do Charles.  Polite and respectful.......it's the only way

I get enough politics and b.s discussion whenever I turn on anything. To this day I've never won an argument. In the south we call it slinging mud, but it's really just chest pounding. I enjoy the ability to come on here and learn about different fanbases. Most people wouldn't say half the things in person, that the internet anonymity gives them the "courage" to say behind an alter ego.

I meet the nicest people in person. I meet some of the vilest on some message boards. Weird. I thank all my Duck friends here for being so inviting. I know a'lot of people have some preconceptions about SEC fans. Some of it is warranted, but you'll also meet some of the friendliest people on Earth in that region of the country.

Hopefully one day I'll find a reason to attend a Ducks game and meet some of you in person. Until then, I'll visit you all here on this great site. Thank you Charles.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, GatOrlando said:

Hopefully one day I'll find a reason to attend a Ducks game and meet some of you in person. Until then, I'll visit you all here on this great site. Thank you Charles.

Thank YOU.  I hope that the B1G fans that make their way here next year are as nice as you and so many Georgia fans we have visit.

My SEC experiences online have been a mixed bag; So far, Florida and Georgia fans have been superb--they are new friends.  Tennessee fans were wonderful both in Knoxville and at Autzen.

LSU fans were pretty toxic, and frankly the worst ever encountered.  Years ago, I made a video (below) that Tiger fans took offense to, and boy did I get some of the most vile stuff thrown at me. Although one fellow had such innovative insults--that he had to have taken a lot of time to ponder and craft such epithets.  I read them out loud to my wife and daughter who just burst out laughing. 

I did give this guy my salute, but between all sources--I had over a hundred nasty comments.  Hey...we disagree, and it is only football!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 6:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Thank YOU.  I hope that the B1G fans that make their way here next year are as nice as you and so many Georgia fans we have visit.

My SEC experiences online have been a mixed bag; So far, Florida and Georgia fans have been superb--they are new friends.  Tennessee fans were wonderful both in Knoxville and at Autzen.

LSU fans were pretty toxic, and frankly the worst ever encountered.  Years ago, I made a video (below) that Tiger fans took offense to, and boy did I get some of the most vile stuff thrown at me. Although one fellow had such innovative insults--that he had to have taken a lot of time to ponder and craft such epithets.  I read them out loud to my wife and daughter who just burst out laughing. 

I did give this guy my salute, but between all sources--I had over a hundred nasty comments.  Hey...we disagree, and it is only football!

My limited experience with B1G fans has been mixed. I'll just assign a one word association with the top three teams in your new conference. You can guess which word describes which school. 

The three schools:

1.) The Ohio State

2.) Michigan

3.) Penn State.

_-----------------_-------------

The three words are:

1.)Arrogant

2.) Obnoxious

3.) Zealots

--------_------------_-------

There are several good fans, but those three large fanbases exhibit some of the above qualities I would use the above word association.. Especially towards their fellow conference mates, which you will be next year. They will react to you differently than they did when you were out of conference foes .

Edited by GatOrlando

GatOrlando:

The good news is that Oregon fans have dealt with that type of fan quite a bit already in USC fans, and the bad news is that now it will be amplified joining the B1G.  But I do have two other observations that I have found to be true:

1. Oregon fans do not wear halos.  We have a subset of fans, (some fans at other schools say is the majority) that are horrible.

2. Every school has both classy and trashy fans.  It is human nature, and I am sure that LSU has some classy fans, but I did not have the opportunity to make their acquaintance. Bottom line is that I assume that I will encounter a large number of culls on a free football forum, but I will also make new friends with reasonable people like you.

I know that I will be banning a bunch of what I call, "Drive-by Trolls" next year, but I also know this community will meet some great new people.  Since I like to both meet new people, and also put-the-hammer-down-and-ban-trolls....2024 will be fun.

Mr. FishDuck

Forums can be obnoxious because of trolls.

The internet is like the fence…everyone is pretty brave when protected by that fence. All bark, no bite, or perhaps in a forum, no substance. 

Thanks to all that keep the barking at a minimum here. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, Drake said:

Forums can be obnoxious because of trolls.

The internet is like the fence…everyone is pretty brave when protected by that fence. All bark, no bite, or perhaps in a forum, no substance. 

Thanks to all that keep the barking at a minimum here. 

That is such a PERFECT example of internet trolls!

• Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck