Mic

So, How'd He Do - Mark Helfrich?

Since all I've actually seen of the TT game were replays of the highlights on YouTube, I was wondering how you guys thought Mark Helfrich did as the "Color Commentator" on Fox's broadcast? 

Edited by Mic

I wasn't impressed.  Too much talk from the other guy.

Too much non-game talk for me.

It seemed that Helfrich never had enough time to give a concise explanation of what happened. Or for him to give insight about what we just saw.

B-/C+ - he does not have a big Q factor. 

If you remember his press conferences it was similar—clearly knows the game but is light on charisma and gets tongue tied 

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought he was very average.  No Q factor is a good way of putting it.

He also said something that was odd, after one play on the TT sideline, Dorlus waved and at first glance it could have appeared like he was being disrespectful, but he was waving to DeRutyer and Marcel Yates who as we know both coached at UO so it was not a snarky thing. 

When I saw it happen my first thought was 'oh no they're going to flag him for that'.  Helfrich jumped on it and said something like 'oh that is not what you want to do'.  Mark seemed to forget about the connection to UO there.

I like Mark, he was just never head coach/CEO material. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe a c.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far, the comments have been pretty similar.

I forgot that MH was callng the game and was just as disappointed with the commentary as I usually am. 

@Augduck had a good point—most Duck commentators know football but don’t actually know the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/12/2023 at 6:26 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I forgot that MH was callng the game and was just as disappointed with the commentary as I usually am. 

@Augduck had a good point—most Duck commentators know football but don’t actually know the Ducks.

One I'd like to see (hear) do it again is Dan Fouts.  Not only does Dan know the game better than most, he knows how to announce or analyze it as good as anyone.  Bring him in for the Colorado game, he probably played against the Neon man.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, Mic said:

One I'd like to see (hear) do it again is Dan Fouts.  Not only does Dan know the game better than most, he knows how to announce or analyze it as good as anyone.  Bring him in for the Colorado game, he probably played against the Neon man.

There were a few year in between Fouts and Neon, I think 3 years actually. I am sure Dan would have loved to have taken on Sanders, but never had the chance.

The big oddity I heard listening to Helfrich was on the egregious PI on 3rd & 18.  He starts talking about the ref throwing his hat, signifying the receiver went out of bounds.  Then he just stops...and they never said anything else about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was at the game and didn't hear the commentary in real time, however I went back and watched the game Sunday night when we got back home. I know on X (formerly twitter) there were quite a few Duck fans complaining that Helfrich wasn't objective and was just out to badmouth the Ducks, and after having watched the broadcast, I can't say that was my take at all.

He's not terribly colorful or charismatic, but he knows the game and that much was obvious. I can only remember one moment where I felt that he was unnecessarily critical, and that was on JPJ's false start penalty. I went back and watched it at least 6-7 times and saw no movement whatsoever, and when the (partial) replay didn't show movement, his response was basically "trust me, it was there". Aside from that, I felt that he was adequate, nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:40 PM, Mic said:

So far, the comments have been pretty similar.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

KIDDING! The same POVs are shared here with good reason.

• Applause 1

thought it was extremely difficult to hear what the commentators were saying.  Crowd noise was awfully loud.  Network should be aware of that kind of interference.  Still prefer Jorgy and Jerry, but the 15 second gap between their commentary and the tv play was disconcerting.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2023 at 8:14 AM, Jon Joseph said:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You've probed my foolish, little mind"  Mic

• Haha 1

Helfrich seemed to be going out of his way to not give the Ducks the benefit of the doubt. That jibes with his personality. He’s always been more of a private, one on one guy, not a public personality type (part of the reason he failed as a head coach).

When you’re always worried about how other people are going to see you, there’s no way you’ll be confident in your opinion or able to have fun sharing an obvious bias towards your own team. Like Mark himself, it just felt awkward.

Edited by Washington Waddler
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 2