FishDuck Article

Ducks Football: 4 Things to Watch for Against Hawaii

Our Oregon Ducks football program had quite the scare in Lubbock this past weekend. Tyler Shough played at a high level for the Red Raiders, and despite three interceptions and four sacks from the Oregon defense, our Ducks just couldn’t stay on the same page long enough to have that same offensive efficiency we saw in week one. However, there were ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program had quite the scare in Lubbock this past weekend. Tyler Shough played at a high level for the Red Raiders…
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Ducks should throttle Hawii. Ducks first game in Lubbock has people concerned. Good reason, I guess.

The lack of focus is a concern. Dropped balls and penalties were in abundance to say the least. 

But it was Lubbock, or Palouse 2.0. The reputation of playing night games there is for good reason.

Looking ahead to Colorado shouldn't be a problem. Even if Duck are looking ahead they should beat Hawii. I doubt they do though after the lack of focus in Tx. They will dial it back and be focused on whats in front of them.

I get why people are falling all over Colorado. People love shiny new things. And Deon seems to be just that.

They beat TCU, TCU played in the NC last year. Nevermind TCU lost most of their best players. 

They beat Nebraska. Lol... yea, I watched that game. Nebraska is a whole different level of bad football. Buffs had a tough time with Nebraska D untill the D quit trying in the second half.  Can't blame Nebraska D,  there really wasn't a point trying to get the ball back to the O.

But... Buffs are the new media darling. Deon sells. I am not ready to buy in yet. Atleast not this year.

I suspect Buffs are the shiny used car that looks great. But you get it off the curb and down the road, the transmission starts slipping and the windshield wiper controls change the radio station. 

Think I will kick the tires a bit longer before I but in.

• Haha 1

Texas Tech's D was better than most people realize and the Ducks O still put up over 30 points on it in a tough road environment. I'm not too concerned on that side of the ball. Improvement on D is where my focus will be for Hawaii.

After two games the 1st and 2nd strings should begin to solidify and I'm curious about who starts taking over their spots. Against TT, the amount of havoc plays created by the D seemed to increase as the game wore on. I want to see that trend continue this week, and I'll be interested to see who is on the field creating the havoc and who is not. On offense, I still want to see some solid work put in by QB2 and see some confidence in running the show.

Against CU, UW, SC, WSU, Utah and OSU, the D will be needed to keep the opponents from lighting up the scoreboard. That's a lot of offense to have to stop in one season. If the D gets it together, this could be a special season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach Timmy Chang's, a great QB at Hawaii, version of the Rainbow Air Raid is perfect for the Ducks D to get ready for Prime Time and Sons. 

To date, Hawaii is 1-2. Hawaii has thrown the ball an average of 42.66 times a game. Overall, 128 - 80 - 5.  QB Brayden Shager has managed 7.59 yards per average completion.

Average passing yards - 324. Total average O - 373.3. 

This is definitely a pass-first group. Let's see if the pass D can play together more cohesively and stay away from PI calls.

Thank you, Alex. Vegas' 6.5 line was bet down to 4.5 at game time. The folks in the desert know what they are doing. Thank goodness that Jeffery Bossa did not take a knee. Lots of folks (including Yours Truly) were very happy to see the late TD that provided a cover and the game going Over the early line bet of 67 points.

Aloha.

• Applause 1

On 9/13/2023 at 6:58 AM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks should throttle Hawii. Ducks first game in Lubbock has people concerned. Good reason, I guess.

The lack of focus is a concern. Dropped balls and penalties were in abundance to say the least. 

But it was Lubbock, or Palouse 2.0. The reputation of playing night games there is for good reason.

Looking ahead to Colorado shouldn't be a problem. Even if Duck are looking ahead they should beat Hawii. I doubt they do though after the lack of focus in Tx. They will dial it back and be focused on whats in front of them.

I get why people are falling all over Colorado. People love shiny new things. And Deon seems to be just that.

They beat TCU, TCU played in the NC last year. Nevermind TCU lost most of their best players. 

They beat Nebraska. Lol... yea, I watched that game. Nebraska is a whole different level of bad football. Buffs had a tough time with Nebraska D untill the D quit trying in the second half.  Can't blame Nebraska D,  there really wasn't a point trying to get the ball back to the O.

But... Buffs are the new media darling. Deon sells. I am not ready to buy in yet. Atleast not this year.

I suspect Buffs are the shiny used car that looks great. But you get it off the curb and down the road, the transmission starts slipping and the windshield wiper controls change the radio station. 

Think I will kick the tires a bit longer before I but in.

Good take. But guess who has bought in? Season tickets for 2023 and 2024 CU football are sold out. After-market tickets in Boulder last week were going for more $ than in Tuscaloosa.

A team that was 1-11 in 2022 has had its first 2 games broadcast on the Fox Big Noon game telecast and ESPN Gameday will be in Boulder, along with the Fox pregame crew, to watch CU play Colorado State. (Colorado State?)

A Week 4 game against CU in the past would likely have been a 10:30 p.m. Eastern time kickoff on the network no one watches. The game now kicks off on ABC at 3:30 Eastern. 

Due to the Deion hire and the success to date, literally millions of more eyeballs will be on this game than would have watched in 2022.  This is a big media win for Oregon and can only help Oregon's recruiting and final average viewer numbers for this season. 

I don't believe that any coaching hire in the history of CFB has returned this kind of immediate ROI including the Bama hire of Saint Nick. 

• Great post! 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Boulder is a boomtown with Coach Prime reviving the Colorado Buffaloes and turning Folsom Field into the hottest ticket in town. Well, one of the hottest.

In regard to item #4 in the lead article (1st listed) I don't think Oregon is going to have any problem focusing on Hawaii this week.  Maybe IF they had dominated TT and won that game easily, they get complacent and start looking ahead.  But with all those penalties (item 1) and the very near loss avoided only by a herculean effort in the 4th Qtr. - that ought to have scared the Ducks into a real sense of urgency - even against Hawaii.  

I'd be shocked to see Oregon not supremely focused on the Rainbow Warriors and I expect an outcome somewhere in-between what happened  to PSU and the TT game.  I'm gonna guess something like 48-20 Oregon, tho I'm still chewing on that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/13/2023 at 8:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good take. But guess who has bought in? Season tickets for 2023 and 2024 CU football are sold out. After-market tickets in Boulder last week were going for more $ than in Tuscaloosa.

A team that was 1-11 in 2022 has had its first 2 games broadcast on the Fox Big Noon game telecast and ESPN Gameday will be in Boulder, along with the Fox pregame crew, to watch CU play Colorado State. (Colorado State?)

A Week 4 game against CU in the past would likely have been a 10:30 p.m. Eastern time kickoff on the network no one watches. The game now kicks off on ABC at 3:30 Eastern. 

Due to the Deion hire and the success to date, literally millions of more eyeballs will be on this game than would have watched in 2022.  This is a big media win for Oregon and can only help Oregon's recruiting and final average viewer numbers for this season. 

I don't believe that any coaching hire in the history of CFB has returned this kind of immediate ROI including the Bama hire of Saint Nick. 

No doubt about it. A ton of people are buying in. Deon is a living legend, arguably the best corner in NFL history.

Top that with time at wide receiver,  kick and punt return and MLB. Dude was a phenomanal athlete. 

There is no denying his coaching and recruiting abilities. What he did at Jackson State is impressive. Chances are he will make Colorado a winner.

Deon has been crowned. He is mentioned in darn near every article written about college football. I wouldn't even have mentioned him if it wasn't mentioned in this article.

Can't wait until the Ducks silence this noise. After that it will be Usc, UCLA, OSU, WSU and Utahs turn. 

Time to hit the hit the washer fluid button and turn this radio off.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The run game needs to at the very least triple the numbers that were put up at TT. This needs to be an absolute strength to be leaned on so that opposing defenses are forced to make sacrifices in coverage; which opens up the Troy Franklins, and Tez Johnsons of the team for chuck pass plays.

Another thing that I'd like to see more control of, which was a huge factor in wins last year, is tempo control. We saw KD dial up the tempo when the opportunity arose and really hammer on what the defense was giving him. But we also saw him dial it back when necessary to chew clock. I believe there was a stat that showed the Ducks were the #1 team in the nation at scoring during the middle 8 minutes of the game (last 4 of second Qtr, first 4 of 3rd Qtr).

KD even made mention of doing math on how many average opportunities an opposing team would give the Ducks to score, and would base his tempo scheme accordingly in order to pick up an extra scoring opportunity for the Ducks or to take away a scoring opportunity for the other team.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As Charles posted on another thread, the CU/Nebraska game drew more than 10M viewers last Saturday. This is more than watched Texas at Bama!

Both teams hold serve on Saturday and the viewer numbers come CU's visit next Saturday, and a 3:30 Eastern KO on ABC should be off the charts. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Will Stein cannot abandon the QB run like he did in the first three quarters against TT. The offense started off ok in the first quarter but when TT's DC noticed Nix wasn't running at all he started stacking the box to stop Irving and Whittingham and dared Nix to beat them through the air.

That nearly worked until Nix finally started pulling the ball a few times in the fourth, then the offense got rolling again. Nix needs to have a few run plays each quarter to keep defenses honest otherwise the offense will continue to be inconsistent.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 3

After reviewing the game film Lanning basically said in his interview Monday that Stein should have adjusted the running plays called after TT adjusted to defeat them, and didn't.

Personally I think Stein needs to get his butt up in the box and let Bo run things on the sidelines and field.

Stein is a full notch down from Dilly at this point. Bland route trees, less ways for Nix to change play calls at the line, and inability to adjust in game quickly enough to the defense.

I'm not saying he is bad, but being merely good isn't going to be good enough in the shootouts coming up. He needs to improve quickly and it's on Dan Lanning to make sure it happens.

Edited by Solar
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great thing about Colorado's early season surge is that it will give Oregon the first opportunity to knock them off and notch a Top 25 win while they're still ranked.

I don't want to see Nix running the ball more than 1-2 times a game when necessary, because I want this to be a special season, not an almost special season.  There are still plenty of options in the running game including incorporating more tight end sets like Dilly did last year.  Also haven't seen offense connect on any good seam routes yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article Alex, and I would add the factor of all the drops by WRs hampered our potential scoring. Another media source reported SEVEN drops.

Two were bombs to Franklin and Tez that would have changed the game.  Catch those balls, remove most of the penalties and you have a comfortable win.

This team SHOUTS a ton more upside, and we have an ideal schedule for growth.

Bird Bomb Dropped_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, spot on. The schedule does allow for growth.

The schedule also allows the Ducks to build a powerful resume for a CFP invite.

However, growth is needed in all aspects in order to win those games and gain that invite.

That includes Stein.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would add the factor of all the drops by WRs hampered our potential scoring

I find this a bit confounding because our receiving corps, on paper, should easily be top 10 in the nation. Additionally, all the talk in the offseason was how the Will Stein passing game was being tooled to take maximum advantage of our skill positions. And what we saw against TT was a game made much closer by the drops.

I believe this was why our run game saw a noticeable drop in yards per carry. The receivers dropped balls, therefore more running concepts were implemented, which caused the TT defense to load up and dare Bo to pass. The one wrinkle that gave us an advantage in the 2nd half were the QB runs. This again opened up the passing lanes in much needed situations.

However, the QB running to keep a defense honest doesn't help receivers catch balls any better. They legitimately seemed out of sync at times (which could be due to the hostile environment), and nearly all of Bo's deep shots sailed a tad too far (could have been amped by the energy in the stadium). I want to see our receivers being thrown open and then taking advantage of their skill against a defender to make the play.

• Thumbs Up 1