Charles Fischer

New Controls in Place for the Colorado Game: Please Read-and-Heed!

My Duck-Buddies,

I was very uncomfortable with many of the threads about Colorado, and in particular about Deon Sanders. The more I learned from my friend, Mike West, about the truth of what was really happening--the more I was astounded at what I did not know or understand.  So much of what was written was opinion, (which is fine) but very little came from knowledge-based, or an experience-based focus.

It would be helpful to learn more about the cultural background and communication style, considering how we want the best for the young men of Our Beloved Ducks that we cheer for.

I am asking everyone to tone it down about Coach Prime, and the spectacle that is the Buffaloes this year.  I arrived at this for a variety of reasons, but the biggest was my own embarrassment of my ignorance.  I-did-not-know-what-I-did-not-know.

Let's remain respectful of the Colorado team and coach this week, because when we step in "it," a Buffalo chip is a whole lot bigger. Let's just steer clear of what can be problematic for so many of us, even if not meaning too be. Discuss the players, the game, the strategies, the events, but let's just ignore the hype and trash-talking that will probably take place.

I've asked Mike to offer a "primer" for us to consider, and he graciously wrote the article below.

My thanks to you all,

Charles

University of Colorado Retiring Its Mascot, a Buffalo Named Ralphie V - The  New York Times

Is the Prime Effect a Show Me the Money Moment?

by Mike West  (Former FishDuck Analyst and Writer)

Show me the money!!! Remember that scene in Jerry McGuire?  If you didn’t see the movie (and even if you did), you won’t understand one of many dynamics going on in College Football with Deion Sanders.

Let me start by saying the “heated” discussion I had Saturday night with someone I believe is brilliant (he might not know that given my responses that night), would-had he had the same argument with other black people- have prompted me to vigorously come to his defense.

I know the difference between people that are not comfortable with others they are not familiar with, versus racists.  I brought up race Saturday night, but not because I felt my people were being attacked.

So why do I believe Sanders is Rod Tidwell?  If you watched the movie, you saw the first time I had seen Hollywood correctly show a black man’s thought process.  We think out loud, process it, then start to make sense.  Not so for most Americans and other cultures.  I won’t go into the dynamics of why that is, it is too complicated.  

Rod Tidwell stunned McGuire because he was so straightforward towards McGuire than McGuire was used to.  That is black and white culture in a nutshell.  Europeans don’t broach subjects head on.  Black Americans (not necessarily Africans) do.  

That’s only one dynamic in this thunderstorm called Deion Sanders.  But that is the one that offends people most.  He is in your face.  He is brash.  Everything anathema to European based culture is shoved down our throats-thanks to the media.  

Tom Cruise Show me the Money_YouTube.jpg

People see “Rod Tidwell”, but they aren’t listening necessarily to what he is saying.  They don’t care, therefore to determine who he is.  He is just Show me the Money.  

Racial dynamics are far more layered than this snippet. But when you see Deion Sanders, you are watching the marketing machine, not the man.  Jon Joseph has written about this far better than I can explain it. But watch the movie.  Rod Tidwell is so much more than that epic scene as well. And the dynamic of his relationship with McGuire is pretty authentic as far as the dynamics between black and white men that really get to know each other. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It reminds me of when the Giants acquired Barry Bonds.  I thought he was a brash a**. 

Then he became my a** since I was a Giants fan.

Flash forward, he is to CU as Uncle Phil is to Oregon, the man who put us on the map.

What he has accomplished so far isn't overrated.

He is 3 - 0, when most thought he might be 1-2.  And interesting the 1 of the 1 - 2 was probably CSU, his closest game.

Will he be bowl eligible, probably and that didn't seem possible before the year started.

He has more that paid CU what they are paying him.

So Prime seems to be confirming all publicity is good publicity.

If someone has Prime overload, that is what mute buttons and channel changing remotes are for.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Mike West, I totally agree. I suggest anyone interested in this topic to watch the first of the multi episode documentary on Netflix, called Coach Prime. This is Deion Sanders at Jackson State. Deion shows a lot of love towards these players and clearly wants them to succeed in life. He is addressing a higher calling. He does not need the money. Depending on which web site you read, he is worth from $30M to $50M. And please at least learn to spell his name right. It is not Deon, it is Deion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"You're not gonna make me cry, Roy.

Thanks, Mike, for writing this. And thank you, Charles, for asking him to write it.

I absolutely love the character, Rod Tidwell. My man, Rod, really is, "all heart... blankity blank." And I love the character Jerry Maguire just as much. Both have equally huge hearts and passion, but both display them in dramatically different ways. And, due to extreme circumstances, they are forced to come together and the result is spectacular.

I have experienced this kind of relationship in my own life. And 35 years ago, had it not been for extreme circumstances in my own life, I would not have had the abject joy and privilege of meeting my best friend on this planet, who originally is from Egypt (well... second best friend behind my wife of 32 years).

When I first met him, I truly thought he was full of balony because he was so seemingly over-the-top and kind of in your face. And,  as time would prove out, I could not have been more wrong.

As I am writing this, the great-great Jane Austen book, Pride and Prejudice, comes to mind. I would suggest if you have not read this book before, or if it's been a long time, please pick it up. I am convinced that we miss so many incredible opportunity because we close our minds due to our preconceived notions and worldview.

What I love about Coach Prime is that he can be, and has chosen to be, exactly who he is -- with no compromise. This is risky, because he knows that if he isn't winning, his shtick will grow very thin, very fast, with a large percentage of fans, and he would likely be out of a job very quickly. 

Plus, when we look at how horrendous this Buff team has been for so long, for them to win their first three games is incredible... regardless of the competition they've had. Personally, I am rooting big time for Coach Prime and the Buffs --- with the one exception of this upcoming Saturday, of course. But outside of that, I hope he takes these kids on the joy ride of their lives.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3

flat750x075f-pad750x1000f8f8f8.jpg.f7b51847d311daebc98dba7ca21ab1d0.jpg

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Thank you, Mike and thank you Charles.  I was quite uncomfortable about many of the comments I read here as well, and I appreciate you being sensitive about it and writing about it.  I have not seen any of the Netflix documentary nor have I seen much about Coach Sanders, but what I have seen impresses me greatly.  He appears to me to be FULL of substance, and to care deeply about his players.  He is especially interested in their off the field success. 

I don't think he's coaching for publicity or money (he doesn't need it), but because he loves those kids and wants to help them.  As Santa Rosa Duck noted, he is motivated by a higher calling.  He brought terrific coaches to CU, and their on-the-field success so far is testimony to his coaching ability as well.  I am also rooting for him -- but not this Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever you may think of Deion Sanders, don’t judge him by the media circus that swirls around him.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll give him this: he's turned a miserable, losing program completely around and has them believing in themselves again.  That's no mean feat.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We think out loud, process it, then start to make sense.

I have to admit, I've never heard this before and it seem so foreign to me b/c I was taught to think first, then talk. Growing up, if I didn't think something through before speaking, I was disciplined or at the very least ridiculed for having an uninformed opinion. I know personally that if I speak before thinking something through, I'm being quick-witted and with the intent of being insulting. It only make sense then that I would expect the same from someone else.  Interesting food for thought...but I do have to wonder; does this mean we have to treat someone differently in order to treat them equally?  I'll have to ponder on that as it defies what I thought I understood. Thanks for the thought-provoking discussion! Cheers 🙂

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:11 AM, Wrathis said:

but I do have to wonder; does this mean we have to treat someone differently in order to treat them equally

C'mon. Don't open up another can of worms.  Leave it alone OK?  The week will be past before long...

None of you have any idea what is going on behind-the-scenes, and I'd appreciate it if you would not create more headaches for me?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck