FishDuck Article

Ducks Continue to Surge in Silence

Last spring Josh Pate at Late Kick Live did a segment about how the Oregon fanbase was feeling. He basically said that the Ducks are doing great things, but are flying under the radar for much of the college football world. And even after Oregon’s demolition of Colorado, it still feels like the Ducks are flying under the radar. This ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Last spring Josh Pate at Late Kick Live did a segment about how the Oregon fanbase was feeling. He basically said that the Ducks are...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The narrative should suit the Ducks just fine. This is legit disrespect, not faux disrepect like other teams/media have claimed the past couple days.

Oregon needs to play with a chip on their shoulder. They need to be nasty. They need to improve on that nasty we saw last Saturday. No more letting up regardless of the score.

I don't know if it is just me but Ducks are different this year. They have an edge they need to sharpen. There is a grit to them. They are big, fast and strong. I don't know that I have ever seen them have this level of badash to them.

This is going to be a great year. The rest of the Pac already hates Oregon. Let them. Stay salty and destroy everyone in your way. Get that rematch with UGA and take what you came for.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

David, if flying under the radar and being disrespected keeps this group of players on track, then bring it on.

As you and Log Haulin pointed out there was a level of badas, focus and intensity rarely seen on that field.

They will need it going forward. As it stands now and depending on which poll you use, in the next 6 games OBD's face 4 teams in the top 16. 

No room for a let down and each week player and team improvement will be needed to run that gauntlet.

My confidence is high on 2 counts..  

First the Ducks will be overlooked by the media and talking heads right up to and thru the husky game.

Second the Ducks will continue to improve each week.

That schedule is brutal going forward and only the A+ game by all will get it done.

Let the fun continue....

GO DUCKS..    

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Under the radar until/unless it beats WA, Utah, and USC. 

Then, if they do that, it's top 4/3.

Nobody top 4 is under the radar.

Win, and you are somebody; lose and "Who are you again?"

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I like not being the media favorite. 

I don't want players reading and believing the hype.

It failed CU and USuC. Both teams thought their appearance on the field was enough. 

After 4 weeks of play I see our toughest games being (in order of difficulty)

1) Utah (on the road)

2) UW  (on the road)

3) WSU  at home

4) USuC  at home

5) OSU  at home  (little brother with a big chip on his shoulder)

All 5 are ranked top 25. None will be easy.

We still need a lot of improvement. Bad penalties by CU saved offensive drives several times. Our own penalties hurt us, particularly the pre-snap ones. (I do think the refs called several questionable holding calls on WR)

We are improving, but now the season is about to get real. We will face 3, probably 4, great qb's, who won't be afraid to run. Our defense will have to be sharp. QB containment, good pressure, linebackers stopping the run, and db's even better in coverage (though #5 played pretty perfect!)

We have yet to play our best game. This last sat. was close, best so far, let's continue to believe we get better each week.

Who ever makes it through the Pac12 this year will surely be top 4. All we need to do is keep winning. 

I believe, do y'all?

I had Oregon beating the Buffs by 26. With the possible exception of TT, I still say that we haven't faced a good team. 

However, if the Ducks continue to stay thirsty, hungry, keep injuries in check, and playing politely nasty like they did on Saturday, this team will do a lot of damage in the final year of the PAC 12 remnant. 

Thanks, David. 

12.6M viewers is a pretty significant silent majority, More eyeballs on CU at Oregon than on the Ohio State - Notre Dame game, FSU at Clemson, and every SEC game. And Oregon received a boatload of coverage this week on ESPN and other football carrier networks both before and after the game. Yeah, a few fools called Dan Lanning out but Dan received kudos from the majority of talking heads.

5 of the Ducks next 7 games are against currently top 25 ranked teams. Just win (easy for me to say) and plenty of pub will be coming in the direction of Puddles. Week 7, at UW. Week 8, vs. Wazzu. Week 9, at Utah.

The PO Committee's 1st ranking comes out on Halloween after week 9. This is when you want to be at or near the top of the class. 

SC is getting the LA brand name treatment. USC's SOS to date, is 127. Lower than Georgia (108) and Michigan (118) teams that have likewise played against thin air. Saturday in South Bend, USC would have been punched in the mouth and punched out. SC is still featuring the Grinch Matador Defense. 

UW? Folks dig the long ball. UW has yet to play a team that can pressure Penix. And UW's run game has been average at best.

Lots of football left to be played and the Ducks will have their day, including perhaps a visit by Dan and Bo to NYC, if Oregon continues to put up Ws. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems like to me, with the exception of the Bo-dacious ads, they are winning in silence with their heads down. I have to say I like it, and hope it continues.

They are playing like quiet assassins. I would love to see them continue to surge without too much fanfare.

Much like Lanning, they have a reserved intensity, which comes out when needed.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Landings approach so far seems to be working. The game in Texas was a little scary but very few teams go in there and win in their home opener.

Remembering that this team is loaded with talent but they are still children and have been spoiled most of their athletic careers.  

If the coaches can get them up every game and prevail then we will all get what we all want.

My take on the subject of this thread, if anybody cares, is that the Colorado game forced people to take a closer look at the Ducks. I am on the record, here and elsewhere, that Oregon is much improved over last year on both sides of the line of scrimmage. This kind of reminds me of the giant improvement Kirby's Dawgs made from an 8-5 year 1 to the natty game in year2, a game I believe they should have won IMHO.

Yet, I do agree with Desert Duck that OBDs haven't faced a really good team yet. Want people  to really notice and get excited about Oregon. Have them kick the snot out of USC in Autzen in November and waddle into Seattle to whip the Huskies, whom I believe are a really good team. Do that and not slip up elsewhere, and people will be forced to take ODD seriously!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:20 AM, cartm25 said:

Re: the Huskies . . . I'll admit they have me nervous. You pointed out their non-conference schedule, but it was a more difficult slate than Oregon's non-conference schedule.

I don't like that it's in Washington.

100% agree it will be extremely tough to win in Washington, but big picture is that it's not the first game we need to win; it's the second game in the PAC-12 championship.

As much as I'd love to win every game, the formula is simple for any team aspiring to win the PAC-12 this year:  protect your home field and limit yourself to one road loss.  No one is getting through the season unscathed.

For Oregon, that means protecting our home field against USC, WSU, and OSU.  Then steal a victory in Washington or Utah (and stop losing at ASU).

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On ESPN's College Football Live yesterday, Tom Luginbill and Sam Acho were asked to name their top 5 teams to date.

Tom had Oregon at 2 behind Texas. Sam had Oregon ranked #1. 

No one is overlooking the Pac-12 this season and Oregon has steadily moved up in the AP. This has happened before Oregon plays 5 of its next 7 games versus current Top 25 ranked teams. 

From what I have seen to date, Oregon at UW on 10/14 has the chance to be the first of two games these teams play this season, with the other being played in Las Vegas. I am hoping that Seattle will be a College GameDay selection for this game and that the game will kick off at 3:30 Eastern on ABC. GameDay could be in Autzen on 11/11 for the SC game.

Any Pac-12 team that can finish 12-1 this season is a final Final 4 lock. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1