FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 5 Keys to Beating Stanford

The Ducks aren’t out of the woods yet. There’s a lot of football left to be played with zero room for error from here on out. While we may have made it past Hollywood, our Oregon Ducks football program still has to make it through a notoriously treacherous matchup down in Nor Cal with the Stanford Cardinal. Beating Colorado was ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Ducks aren't out of the woods yet. There's a lot of football left to be played with zero room for error from here on out. While we may have...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex thanks for the article and your 5 keys to OBD's leaving the Farm with a victory.

As you pointed out, Stanford has held their own against the Ducks in the last 10 meetings. As long as the Ducks come focused and minimize mistakes and penalties this game should be over by halftime.

Not to take Stanford lightly but Oregons talent level and depth should make this a mismatch.

However, the game has to be plsyed, so the Ducks need to take care of business. And do so again in all 3 phases.

Protecting Bo for the rest of the season is critical to winning the PAC.  I still hold my breath everytime he runs the ball.

I was truly disappointed in the 2nd half of the Buffs game. The first and 2nd team D played superb but the offense seemed to have lost their edge.

If DL wanted more the O did not deliver in the 2nd half. Did Coach Sanders and his DC make adjustments? 

The O moved the ball but only 7 second half points?

Hopefully, Ty Thompson gets the 2nd half to keep gaining valuable playing time. He certainly has improved but.......

Would like to see him lead the Ducks down the field, keep their D guessing and score some points. I recognize he is leading rhe 2nd unit O and/or with the the freshmen. However TT is a superb, gifted athlete with a rocket arm.

Time for him to take his game and leadership up a notch. Read the defense and exploit their weakness.

These opportunities are so valuable for Ty because anything can happen in the game of football.

GO DUCKS....destroy Stanford!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:28 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

If DL wanted more the O did not deliver in the 2nd half. Did Coach Sanders and his DC make adjustments?

With the Tez scare and Noah going down, it was DL who apparently made the adjustment and cleared the bench.

So it was two's and three's angainst the Buffs one's for the most part. I think if you run Ty with the one's, he looks like a compleatly different QB.

So the Ducks bench held the Buffalo's elite offense (media's words not mine) to 6. It took till late in the game for them to score.

The adjustments Dan made to play the youngsters said a lot about DL. He swallowed his pride and made these adjustments because of the situation.

What he wanted to do was embarrass Colorado. To step on their necks untill they stop twitching. Can't blame the guy after seeing the video that was circulating.

• Thumbs Up 3

Completely agree about building road game confidence. I would say build a road game routine, formula. 

If Oregon is going to have a season to remember, good memories that is, we need to see Oregon lay down a set of procedures to win on the road.

First they need to dominate the initial set of downs, whether that is on offense or defense. How the game starts on the road is critical to how it ends. Inertia on the road is established early and the ability to change it is tough. I want to see Oregon dominate from the first whistle.

Another item is to see few penalties. Execution on the road is key and the amount of penalties is a good guide to how well a team is executing.

Also the Ducks need  to win the turnover battle on the road. Oregon has to take care of the ball and get turnovers. This is partly getting the ball to bounce the right way, but it is also about playing opportunistic football. 

We have two huge games on the road coming up, and this game should set the tone to how those games will be played. From warm-ups to walking off the field there should be an intensity and focus these Ducks are just starting to show. The Stanford game is the perfect game to set this pattern, let's hope we see it! GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Cardinal fans will be quite sparse so stadium noise won't be a factor --- and it almost never is in Palo Alto. 

The following week in Seattle will be the polar opposite. 

I have Oregon winning this Saturday 44-10, and scoring about 35 points in the 1st half. 

If Oregon doesn't take their foot off the pedal this week, this will be another great opportunity for Lanning & Co to again give a lot of quality PT to our backup guys and younger players --- which is huge. 

If you can make it to the game, this should be a fun away game to go to, at a beautiful stadium, gorgeous campus, a rather friendly away game environment, the weather forecast looks ideal, and tickets will be easily and reasonably had. I've always enjoy making it to the Farm to watch the Ducks play. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to this one. 

Rinse and repeat from last week.  Only Bo only gets 1 series in the second half.

• Thumbs Up 1

The offense should be fine, I’m excited to see if the Duck defense can improve another notch. The better the D gets the better our chances with the huskies.

The pass rush we had against the Buffs kept me glued to the box, fun to watch. Not so much fun to see on tape for our upcoming opponents for sure. Didn’t show a lot of weaknesses.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:54 AM, Desert Duck said:

The Cardinal fans will be quite sparse so stadium noise won't be a factor --- and it almost never is in Palo Alto. 

Yes, without a Jim Plunkett, John Elway, or Toby Gerhart to stir the pot, the loudest sound from Stanford fans should be that slurping sound of Brie spread herb crackers being washed down with Chardonnay.

That said, looking forward to seeing how we match up with Yurosek who Jamal Hill referred to as the heartbeat of their offense. 

FANSIDED.COM

Despite all the hype around Colorado, Oregon showed the country why the Ducks are a College Football Playoff contender with a Heisman Trophy candidate in Bo Nix

Just so we are clear the dawg game comes after both programs have a bye week.

We need to relish this game against Stanford and then hold on to the build up to the game up north on October 14th.

One note is the dawgs play Arizona in Tucson which could be a trap game this week. Arizona is 3-1 and has played some tough battles so should be ready to put up a fight at home. It would break my heart if the dawgs lost, but I would get over it by the 14th.

Some stats, Arizona has lost 6 straight to the dawgs, a record. The cats actually have a decent record at home, and if they are going to break the streak, record it will occur at home.

Ok, now let's focus on the cardinal game again, what is a cardinal anyway! A cardinal is something you call yourself when you mascot is a tree.

Thank you, Alex. Great thoughts. (BTW, Rob, lose the Oklahoma State and Baylor matchups and schedule Cal/Stanford OOC instead.)

My thoughts regarding the 5 keys to winning this game -

1. Don't miss the flight.

2. Don't miss the bus from the airport to the hotel.

3. Don't forget to bring the equipment including The Tom Swift in the 21st Century cleats. 

4. Bus driver: Do not get lost on the way to the stadium. (Sorry, but you can't follow the noise.)

5. And please, no injuries on the way from the locker room to the field of play.

Go DUCKS!

• Haha 3

Great article, Alex, and the biggest point to me, refers to not running our quarterback. With all the weapons we have at our disposal, there simply isn’t any reason to run him between the tackles in any game, as far as I am concerned.

Wide open zone reads, or scrambles with open field when back to pass, are the only two times for Bo to takeoff running, IMHO. Even then, slide and go, Outabounds!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck