DanLduck

Bo-dacious Coach Lanning

This past weekend we learned something new about our young coach: he is quite the competitor.

Oh, we knew that, or assumed it, but last Saturday, we saw that.

A team on a surreal high came scuffing and swaggering into Autzen, trying to bully and intimidate players and fans alike. Acting more like a puffer fish, then anything really intimidating. 

Our beloved coach was ready and waiting.

From allowing the cameras in the pre-game, to halftime rhetoric, to the wearing of the "Bodacious" tee post game, a well scripted message was sent to recruits and Oregon faithful (as well as those additional watchers) Oregon already is "prime time".

Lanning took advantage of all the eyes watching nationally (thank you CU) for his own version of showmanship. 

Hard, fast, hi-scoring, take no prisoners mentality, coupled with aggressive play calling and depth on the roster. (I believe 10 true freshman played)

What he showed is Oregon has a championship capable team. Now.

And they're hungry and eager.

And what a time to do it, in front of 10.3 million viewers. 

Well done coach Lanning and staff.

I also like how he tried to reign himself in a little in the days following. Sat. was a good win, but the real test is down the road. It was just one game.

This sat against Stanford is another great test of a different kind.

Can he get our boys "up" again for a game that should be easy?

So far this year, coach Lanning has had the team ready for every type of opponent, and the results have been pretty much what you would want.

He is doing it so well, I'm tempted to describe his coaching as, "Bo-dacious"!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 11
  • Like 1

A 'bodacious' post as well, DanLDuck.  

I guess it was just fate that Oregon got to be the team to prick the bubble of Colorado's super inflated image.  Others will likely get their chance (and undoubtedly succeed) as the season wears on but Lanning will always be remembered as the 1st coach to humble the un-humbled.  If your a CFB fan and didn't know Oregon before, you sure do now!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

After this upcoming sc beatdown, fewer eyes will be watching CU the rest of the year.

In the meantime, sc will be out to prove "anything the Ducks can do, we can do better".  Buffs, keep it close.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Dan Lanning has put his stamp of approval on the more wide open style of play and has brought excitement back to Autzen stadium. It went missing for awhile. There is a lot to like about the direction he is taking the team, and the home crowd is certainly responding. 

It is also easy to understand why top players want to come to Eugene. Play a fast paced style of football that is

Bo-daciously fun to play and watch. 

Now, let’s go make kindling of that ugly Stanford tree.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2023 at 9:05 PM, Steven A said:

After this upcoming sc beatdown, fewer eyes will be watching CU the rest of the year.

In the meantime, sc will be out to prove "anything the Ducks can do, we can do better".  Buffs, keep it close.

I apologize in advance Steven.  Colorado will not disappear this year.  They have a new, built in audience that is now paying attention to college football more.  I suspect they will maintain that audience, and if they start signing elite lineman on both sides of the ball, they will no longer be our problem, but they will be a fixture for awhile. 

People already know USC will beat them.  That is not stopping celebrities from going up to Boulder this week to catch some of the "excitement".   Colorado is this year's version of Pete Carroll's Trojan media juggernaut.  Not to mention, they actually have enough talent to earn themselves a bowl berth this year.  They get Stanford, Arizona and ASU, all with about the same level of talent and a slightly more talented Cal.  That's four games up for grabs.  

I think TCU just expected to show up and win.  They got surprised, despite knowing exactly what we knew when they came to Eugene.  Colorado lacks depth, and has weak lineman on both offense and defense.  I suspect they will go back to moving QB Sanders out of the pocket like they did to TCU (who didn't adjust, nor expected very good WR play from the Buffs). 

I also suspect the Buffs' players started reading their press clippings.  They truly underestimated how good OBD are (and they are pretty damn good).  I believe the Colorado players stopped working their butts off.  Meanwhile, only a tad bit of noise came from the players.  I think OBD lulled Colorado into thinking OBD would take them lightly like TCU had.

Not to mention, I don't think many people picked up on how intense Lanning was in the Hawaii presser, and the following Monday.  He looked like he was going to play himself.  I could feel his intensity.  And that was before the Buff players started talking smack.  

As much as we in the forum felt about the Colorado media train, the players were seething about being overlooked.  On a different note, in closing, I hope the UW, Utah and USC media hype motivates them even more.  OBD are being overlooked.  Almost like they're a foregone conclusion.  I believe Lanning is fueling some pretty volcanic fires right now. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:49 PM, Mike West said:

I apologize in advance Steven.  Colorado will not disappear this year.  They have a new, built in audience that is now paying attention to college football more.  I suspect they will maintain that audience, and if they start signing elite lineman on both sides of the ball, they will no longer be our problem, but they will be a fixture for awhile. 

People already know USC will beat them.  That is not stopping celebrities from going up to Boulder this week to catch some of the "excitement".   Colorado is this year's version of Pete Carroll's Trojan media juggernaut.  Not to mention, they actually have enough talent to earn themselves a bowl berth this year.  They get Stanford, Arizona and ASU, all with about the same level of talent and a slightly more talented Cal.  That's four games up for grabs.  

I think TCU just expected to show up and win.  They got surprised, despite knowing exactly what we knew when they came to Eugene.  Colorado lacks depth, and has weak lineman on both offense and defense.  I suspect they will go back to moving QB Sanders out of the pocket like they did to TCU (who didn't adjust, nor expected very good WR play from the Buffs). 

I also suspect the Buffs' players started reading their press clippings.  They truly underestimated how good OBD are (and they are pretty damn good).  I believe the Colorado players stopped working their butts off.  Meanwhile, only a tad bit of noise came from the players.  I think OBD lulled Colorado into thinking OBD would take them lightly like TCU had.

Not to mention, I don't think many people picked up on how intense Lanning was in the Hawaii presser, and the following Monday.  He looked like he was going to play himself.  I could feel his intensity.  And that was before the Buff players started talking smack.  

As much as we in the forum felt about the Colorado media train, the players were seething about being overlooked.  On a different note, in closing, I hope the UW, Utah and USC media hype motivates them even more.  OBD are being overlooked.  Almost like they're a foregone conclusion.  I believe Lanning is fueling some pretty volcanic fires right now. 

As long as coach Sanders is the head football coach at Colorado they will be in the headlines.

Buffs got embarrassed last weekend. Coach showed humility and gave credit were credit is due.

It will be interesting how both Oregon and Colorado respond this weekend. Both are in a sticky situation. Will Oregon come out focused? Will Colorado bounce back and make it competitive?

The two team are at opposite ends of the spectrum with the talent they face this Saturday. How they respond after last weekend are equally important for both progr'ms.

Should be a fun weekend in that reguard. Go Ducks!

• Great post! 1

Colorado will not disappear this year

I agree, but I think their numbers will not maintain at 9 mil viewers per game (of course Pac 12 network doesn't count).

And they still are the feel-good story.

Coach Sanders is/will build a good team for the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:57 AM, Steven A said:

Coach Sanders is/will build a good team for the future.

He will but I wonder if he'll stick around past his sons graduations. He'll be one of the hottest coaching prospects in the nation and the temptation to' trade-up' will be overwhelming.  Colorado may not have enough $ in all of Boulder to hang on to him.

They have a new, built in audience that is now paying attention to college football more.

This.

I was listening to a podcast about politics this week, and they spent 10 mins chatting about Coach Prime, what he’s done at UC, how he’s done it, and how it’s been received.

And of course, OBD got a shout-out for the beatdown. 

On 9/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, Mic said:

He will but I wonder if he'll stick around past his sons graduations. He'll be one of the hottest coaching prospects in the nation and the temptation to' trade-up' will be overwhelming.  Colorado may not have enough $ in all of Boulder to hang on to him.

Not sure if it would be a sound football hire, but from a marketing perspective, the media coverage exposure and frenzy around the hire would go to an even higher level.

Is that even possible? 

I see Colorado struggling to win two more games this year. 

Losses coming their way!

The two traitors in LA.

The Beavs

Arizona

WSU

Utah

Thanks Mike.

Intense was the word I was missing to describe coach Lanning. 

That competitive fire, the intensity, attracts great players. I mean, many of us OBD fans were ready to suit up after watching that pregame speech.

This past week reminded me a little of last year's game with UGA.

CU has some great players, but not enough depth. It will be of interest to see how they recover this year, and rebuild for next year.

Lanning did an amazing job retooling his roster for this year. If CU does it successfully, it will be a problem for Big12.

Meanwhile, let others overlook our Ducks. Lanning will have them ready.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Coach Lanning an Oregon Cheerleader?  He said it, he sees the qualities a player brings to the Team and Staff.  Sees those who do it in practice will do it on game day as a Leader, Motivator and even an Educator.  Lanning is out there, taking it all in, seeing what, how the team motivates each other.

Let Them do the Trash Talking, Oregon will talk with their pads, on the field.  Let Them think they have the masses, we will silence them with the fans of Autzen.  As They try to figure out "how to stop the bleeding", we will let our depth feed on the doubters and the hype machine.

Coach Lanning, did not give Colorado fuel to feed the fire.  He gave credit where credit was due. He put the focus on "THEM".  Lanning believed in his staff, players and home crowd to provide the environment for success.

Coach Lanning and Team, work your magic.  Stay focused, bring your best and do not let your guard down.  This may be the last year to Harvest those Trees and walk away, injury free.  Go Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/29/2023 at 8:57 AM, Steven A said:

I agree, but I think their numbers will not maintain at 9 mil viewers per game (of course Pac 12 network doesn't count).

They won't play on the PAC12 Network even once this year. The big boys will pick up every single game.

On 9/30/2023 at 7:10 AM, Solar said:

They won't play on the PAC12 Network even once this year. The big boys will pick up every single game.

I believe they have legal obligation of 3 games. Could be wrong though

• Thumbs Up 1

I see Colorado struggling to win two more games this year. 

Losses coming their way!

The two traitors in LA.

The Beavs

Arizona

WSU

Utah

On 9/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, Log Haulin said:

I believe they have legal obligation of 3 games. Could be wrong though

At least twice. One for each non-conference home game.

I think that is the rule.

By contrast, this is our 3rd time on Pac12 network. We should be done for the season there.