GatOrlando

Most Surprising Undefeated Squad Thus Far

Most Surprising Squads Thus Far  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which program has shocked you with their success so far?

• Washington State
    • Duke
    • Kansas
    • Syracuse

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2023 at 10:20 PM

We are heading into October my friends.  Anything and everything is still on the table. The Heisman, conference titles, playoff births. But like every year there have been pleasant surprises. I ask you who has surpassed the expectations so far. I always love an underdog, as long as it isn't playing my team.

*Edited the title, to include surprising successes. As pointed out below, how the vague the word surprising can be interpreted. 

Edited by GatOrlando

It would have to be Colorado.

You may not like their coach or their methods, but they've made the biggest jump from what they were last season to where they stand now. 

They don't have to beat SC to reinforce those sentiments, but a good showing would go a long way.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:44 AM, MTdux said:

It would have to be Colorado.

You may not like their coach or their methods, but they've made the biggest jump from what they were last season to where they stand now. 

They don't have to beat SC to reinforce those sentiments, but a good showing would go a long way.

I actually have grown to appreciate Deion's honesty. It's not false bravado. But I can't put them up there a week after getting beaten down. It wasn't close, I don't like their chances today.

Kansas has their shot at Texas today. Duke has theirs against Notre Dame, and Syracuse has Clemson. We'll find out a lot about all three. Washington State has already beaten Wisconsin and Oregon State.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would say Miami, averaging 44 points a game and 4-0.

They may be shown as a fraud in October when they travel to Chapel Hill and play NC, but Cristobal is showing he can play offense, and lead a team in September.

Come November they will undoubtedly have trouble in Tallahassee, but congrats to Mario and the hurricanes!

I will say September is easy, October is where the lights starts to shine, and November is when the lights turn out for those who can't hold the standard set in the previous months.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would say Miami, averaging 44 points a game and 4-0.

They may be shown as a fraud in October when they travel to Chapel Hill and play NC, but Cristobal is showing he can play offense, and lead a team in September.

Come November they will undoubtedly have trouble in Tallahassee, but congrats to Mario and the hurricanes!

I will say September is easy, October is where the lights starts to shine, and November is when the lights turn out for those who can't hold the standard set in the previous months.

Miami has what looks like a good win. I just can't label them as back yet. I also can't call them a surprise either. It's Miami, much like Texas or USC. They have a ton of talent, and for the first time in their history, they are investing money into their infrastructure.  

• Thumbs Up 1

DUKE. But it likely ends today in Durham. Wazzu is a close 2nd.

• Thumbs Up 2

I passed right over the word "undefeated": My bad

On 9/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, MTdux said:

I passed right over the word "undefeated": My bad

No, you were right. I edited it after you commented. The word surprising can mean anything. I did have success there originally, but again that can have different narratives as well. Colorado won one game a year ago. They are about to have their third straight nationally televised matchup.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, GatOrlando said:

Miami has what looks like a good win. I just can't label them as back yet. I also can't call them a surprise either. It's Miami, much like Texas or USC. They have a ton of talent, and for the first time in their history, they are investing money into their infrastructure.  

For both Texas and Miami, the back is so far back how will you know if either team is back?

44 points a game for MariO is impressive. But other than A+M the competition has been rank, not ranked, and A+M has yet to defeat a solid team. 

GA tech is not a pushover. At UNC will be tough. Clemson could be 4-0 at this point in the season and not 2-2. At NC St will be a tough game as will be playing FSU in Tallahassee. And I expect Louisville after the win at NC State to move into this week's Top 25. I'm giving The U the UVA and BC games.

Like the Pac-12, the ACC is a tough conference in 2023 with lots of good QB play.

• Thumbs Up 1

WSU surprised me by giving the Beavs more than they could handle. Ward has become the real deal and their O-line was very good handling the defensive front of the Beavs.

On another front Colorado fans are already booing the Buffs. Can’t believe I’m rooting for usuc in this one. Might need to go to confession tonight and I’m not a Catholic. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4-0 Duke is quite impressive... for sure. Especially with that season opening win against Clemson (who last week lost in OT to #5 FSU). But Duke did finish last season 5-1, while winning their bowl game, and going 9-4 overall -- so their early season success surprises me a bit, but doesn't "shock" me. 

4-0 Kansas... nahhh. They haven't played anybody and 3 of their wins are closer than they should have been.

4-0 Syracuse... Not to be repetitive, but nahhh. The Orange Dudes haven't played against a serious program either. Arguably, their best win is over a 1-3 Purdue -- and if not Purdue, a 2-2 Army. 

4-0 Courgars - They've notched one very impressive OT win over a strong and soon to be ranked about #14 Oregon State. They also traveled out to Badgerland and beat a sort-of-decent 3-1 Wisconsin (and Randall Stadium is a tough place to play). Over the past 4 seasons, the Cougs have stunk and had a cumulative record over this period of 21-22. Plus, with all of PAC 12 conference insanity, this serious distraction would have derailed a lot of teams, but if it's had any kind of impact on them, it's been the absolute opposite (and props to OSU in this regard as well).

So... short question and wayyyy too long of an answer --- but absolutely, of the 4 teams on the table, the Washington State Cougars.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2023 at 9:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

For both Texas and Miami, the back is so far back how will you know if either team is back?

44 points a game for MariO is impressive. But other than A+M the competition has been rank, not ranked, and A+M has yet to defeat a solid team. 

GA tech is not a pushover. At UNC will be tough. Clemson could be 4-0 at this point in the season and not 2-2. At NC St will be a tough game as will be playing FSU in Tallahassee. And I expect Louisville after the win at NC State to move into this week's Top 25. I'm giving The U the UVA and BC games.

Like the Pac-12, the ACC is a tough conference in 2023 with lots of good QB play.

I think "back" in terms of how most see it is National Titles Contenders. Playing in, if not winning the conference title game. USC last won a National Title in '04. Texas in '05, and Miami in '01.  Miami has never won the ACC, think about that. They've played in one ACC Title Game, one!!

As you can probably see, I don't have much desire to see them "back". But the odds are that Mario is building them up pretty well. He's got Miami High School connections. That's the key to their success. Much like USC and Los Angeles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, Desert Duck said:

4-0 Syracuse... Not to be repetitive, but nahhh. The Orange Dudes haven't played against a serious program either. Arguably, their best win is over a 1-3 Purdue -- and if not Purdue, a 2-2 Army. 

I voted Syracuse not because I believe they have played anyone but they have been up and down all over the place in past years but overall not that good. 

So being undefeated by week 5 for them... even while not playing anyone is surprising. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:20 AM, Just Ducky said:

Can’t believe I’m rooting for usuc in this one. 

If CU were to be remotely competitive, which I knew would not be the case, it would make our beatdown of the Buffs more impressive. 

And who in the world ever would root for the Trojans? That's about like rooting for the Huskies. 😉 

Plus, say what you will about Deion, I love what he doing in Boulder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wazzu won in Mad City in 2022 but defeated the Badgers in Pullman this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:55 PM, David Marsh said:

I voted Syracuse not because I believe they have played anyone but they have been up and down all over the place in past years but overall not that good. 

So being undefeated by week 5 for them... even while not playing anyone is surprising. 

Great take. But this is the 3rd season in a row that the Orange has been 4-0 before playing better competition.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:27 PM, GatOrlando said:

I think "back" in terms of how most see it is National Titles Contenders. Playing in, if not winning the conference title game. USC last won a National Title in '04. Texas in '05, and Miami in '01.  Miami has never won the ACC, think about that. They've played in one ACC Title Game, one!!

As you can probably see, I don't have much desire to see them "back". But the odds are that Mario is building them up pretty well. He's got Miami High School connections. That's the key to their success. Much like USC and Los Angeles. 

On paper, the win at home over A+M is an impressive win but The U has not defeated a team currently ranked in the AP Top 25 and the schedule is going to ramp up.

I think 2023 will be another season Miami does not win the ACC.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Wazzu won in Mad City in 2022 but defeated the Badgers in Pullman this season.

I knew I'd have at least one error in there somewhere. 😉 Good catch. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 2:59 AM, Desert Duck said:

If CU were to be remotely competitive, which I knew would not be the case, it would make our beatdown of the Buffs more impressive. 

And who in the world ever would root for the Trojans? That's about like rooting for the Huskies. 😉 

Plus, say what you will about Deion, I love what he doing in Boulder.

I think expectations were set too high for Colorado simply because of DS and many, including myself seem to forget that this is a rebuilding year for them. At least the Buffs are showing some fight on the field as compared to the past, where they were apparently just going through the motions. I would give DS probably another 2 years before he can realistically field a contender for a conference title or even the CFP.

As an unfortunate caveat, Colorado has to win a couple or at least be very competitive against the better teams out there, or some of the luster may begin to tarnish.

When Mike Leach was first hired at Wazzu, expectations were high also in his first year, and I myself thought he would turn Wazzu into an instant winner - Leach ended up going 3-9. It wasn't until maybe his 4th year at Wazzu that he started to field consistently good teams. I guess we all fall for a HC's reputation preceding them and forget that many times, their 1st year on the job is a rebuilding year lol.

All that said, my pick is Kansas. Although the chance is remote, I do hope they upset Texas. Nice to see the Jayhawks football program on the rise again. The Jayhawks football program had been awful since Mangino was fired.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, OceaniaDuck said:

I think expectations were set too high for Colorado simply because of DS and many, including myself seem to forget that this is a rebuilding year for them.

After blocking out all of the CU media, noise, flash, etc, and strictly looking at the data and facts, I had the Ducks winning last week by 26.

I also said CU would likely finish the regular season 6-6, or with some luck, maybe 7-5.

Relative to last year's Buff team and their 1-11 season, Deion has pretty much already exceeded preseason expectations. A lot of people just got temporarily blinded after they started out 3-0, plus all of the media insanity. 

6-6, plus a bowl game, would be a huge turnaround season for them. After this season, if Deion sticks around, I wouldn't be surprised if they developed into a strong program in the next 2 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

On paper, the win at home over A+M is an impressive win but The U has not defeated a team currently ranked in the AP Top 25 and the schedule is going to ramp up.

I think 2023 will be another season Miami does not win the ACC.

Luckily for them , it may get a'lot easier if Clemson, FSU, and UNC have found a way out. I'll buy Miami for real when they actually finish a season strong. Until then it's just glitz and glamor.

• Applause 1

Maybe not a "surprise" because opponents have been weak, but Kentucky is 5-0....until next game when they play Georgia.

• Thumbs Up 1

HDuck says it: Kentucky.  Not on the list but no one saw this one coming.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:31 PM, Mic said:

HDuck says it: Kentucky.  Not on the list but no one saw this one coming.

Terrific smash mouth win today but many teams would have been 4-0 playing Kentucky's first four opponents. 

Still a good accomplishment and at least at home, Kentucky will not be easy.

A sneaky big game might be the year-ender against undefeated Louisville.

On 9/30/2023 at 3:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Terrific smash mouth win today but many teams would have been 4-0 playing Kentucky's first four opponents. 

Same could be said about Oregon's schedule with the single exception of TT in Lubbock.

One reason I think Oregon may be vulnerable to UW is the fact that outside TT, no game has prepared O for what they'll be up against when they go to Washington. AZ did a lot more to get the Huskies ready for us than Stanford did for O to get ready for them, imo.  

On 10/1/2023 at 4:05 PM, Mic said:

Same could be said about Oregon's schedule with the single exception of TT in Lubbock.

One reason I think Oregon may be vulnerable to UW is the fact that outside TT, no game has prepared O for what they'll be up against when they go to Washington. AZ did a lot more to get the Huskies ready for us than Stanford did for O to get ready for them, imo.  

Well Oregon has played in a rabid environment when they played Tech. Battled trough adversity in that game and got the W.

They also played Colorado. A game that had tremendous hype and pressure. Buffs are better than anyone Fusky has played. The reason Buffs didn't look good against Oregon was because of Oregon.

They also learned how to come out of lethargy and pour it on. On the road I should add.

Who has Fusky played? Don't say MSU, Tucker blew that team up and they were in no shape to play Fusky.

Cal dropped 32 on Husky. Wash has played no one. More no one than the Ducks. 

Ducks have been tested. They are dropping 50+ ppg. Outside of Tech, nobody has dropped points on the board v. Oregon. And Duck penalties gave Tech atleast 2-3 scores.

Every game Ducks have played has prepared them for this next match-up. Just gotta know where to look.

I said it before. Ducks are the Best team in the Pac, and it might not be close. Ducks by 2 scores.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:55 PM, HDuck said:

Maybe not a "surprise" because opponents have been weak, but Kentucky is 5-0....until next game when they play Georgia.

There was a point we beat Kentucky thirty plus times in a row. They have a three game streak going after trashing us on Saturday. Mark Stops isn't surprising me though. He's built a very solid SEC East program. They've been better and more consistent than both Florida and Tennessee. You just don't hear about them because Georgia, and Alabama have been so dominant.

To me I can't call them a surprise. Look at what Mark has built at a basketball school. There was a strong chance somebody was gonna hire him away. Nebraska made a huge mistake by not doing so imo. The guy recruits Ohio very well, he gets the four stars from that state that Ohio State passes up.

• Yikes! 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:05 PM, Mic said:

Great thoughts.

Bye week for both before the game. Oregon's SOS is better by one in the current rankings than UW's.

I think the game at TT in front of that crowd, coming back, and overcoming myriad penalties in the process of ending TT's 26-in-a-row opening game-at-home win streak is more impressive than UW struggling to defeat a backup QB in Tucson. The crowd in Lubbock was, not surprisingly, more rowdy than the Bear Down crowd. And TT was and is a better team than a dysfunctional Michigan State.

Give 3 points to the home team. OK. But I see this game as more than a points push for Oregon going into Seattle. I also see the Oregon D improving more over the course of the season than the UW D.  UW has yet to see a pass rush like Oregon will bring to Seattle and Penix, while a great QB on his spot is not Caleb Williams or Shedeur Sanders or Cam Ward when scrambling. And the UW D has not faced a run game like Oregon, even without Whit, has. 

I expect DL and staff to have a game plan on D that will be somewhat risky, 1 on 1 vs. an excellent group of WRs, and going all out vs. Penix who does not have a great safety valve TE or a great WR coming out of the backfield.

Oregon is currently -13.5. I see this as a balance-the-book spread but Oregon is tripping to Seattle as the favorite for reasons known to the desert sages. 

I think the Ducks, especially with the penalties down to only 2 at Stanford, win this game by 10+ points. And if needed, Cam unlike at Stanford where he was flat as was the team early on, will be back on his game if and when it counts.

UW and Penix have captured the nation with the deep ball game but Oregon is better where football games are won, at the LOS.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, GatOrlando said:

There was a point we beat Kentucky thirty plus times in a row. They have a three game streak going after trashing us on Saturday. Mark Stops isn't surprising me though. He's built a very solid SEC East program. They've been better and more consistent than both Florida and Tennessee. You just don't hear about them because Georgia, and Alabama have been so dominant.

To me I can't call them a surprise. Look at what Mark has built at a basketball school. There was a strong chance somebody was gonna hire him away. Nebraska made a huge mistake by not doing so imo. The guy recruits Ohio very well, he gets the four stars from that state that Ohio State passes up.

UF's run D was missing in action. Outside of The Swamp, this is not a good football team. And Mertz, like another B1G refugee, Auburn's Payne, has not made a Bo-like move to Oregon.

Colorado is pretty air raidy too... Washington has slightly better lines and I would say better receivers. 

Most teams are going more of the air raid offense these days. Oregon is a bit of the exception. More on this on Tuesday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another undefeated to consider is Air Force.

In their last 3 games, the margin of victory has been impressive.

They will not play Fresno State unless both make it to championship game.

On 10/1/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

UF's run D was missing in action. Outside of The Swamp, this is not a good football team. And Mertz, like another B1G refugee, Auburn's Payne, has not made a Bo-like move to Oregon.

Napier has been a little too conservative so far in his tenure imo. The two greatest runs in Florida history happened under the "Fun and Gun" Steve Spurrier, and the "Spread it Out" with Urban Meyer. Of course those guys also did it with more talent. But Deion has shown how to quickly inject life.

Napier has the saying "No risk it. No biscuit!!". Starting Graham Mertz is as risky averse as I can think. He's recruiting well, but Florida isn't the place where you get three years of rope. Especially with Georgia, FSU, and Miami rising up the ladder. If Georgia and FSU both make the playoffs, and Florida wins six games. The seat is hot. Not ideal for a guy preaching patience. The SEC is hunt or be hunted. Brian Kelly is finding out about that.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:55 PM, GatOrlando said:

Napier has been a little too conservative so far in his tenure imo. The two greatest runs in Florida history happened under the "Fun and Gun" Steve Spurrier, and the "Spread it Out" with Urban Meyer. Of course those guys also did it with more talent. But Deion has shown how to quickly inject life.

Napier has the saying "No risk it. No biscuit!!". Starting Graham Mertz is as risky averse as I can think. He's recruiting well, but Florida isn't the place where you get three years of rope. Especially with Georgia, FSU, and Miami rising up the ladder. If Georgia and FSU both make the playoffs, and Florida wins six games. The seat is hot. Not ideal for a guy preaching patience. The SEC is hunt or be hunted. Brian Kelly is finding out about that.

You need dough to make biscuits and UF boosters failed to come up with the dough for Rashada and brought in a guy who was mediocre at best at Wisconsin. Ditto an Auburn team that is feeling the Payne. 

Hunt or be hunted in the SEC? In 2023 I think this applies more to the ACC and the Pac-12 than the SEC. I do not see this year's SEC as, especially with 8 conference games. any more of a gauntlet than the Pac-12.

UCLA could be a 20-something AP Poll filler as well as the SEC teams that are ranked there. 

But, come April 2024, the SEC will once again dominate the draft.

I think AZ did a lot more for Oregon, showing us the weaknesses UW has and how to beat them.

Edited by Solar
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You need dough to make biscuits and UF boosters failed to come up with the dough for Rashada and brought in a guy who was mediocre at best at Wisconsin. Ditto an Auburn team that is feeling the Payne. 

Hunt or be hunted in the SEC? In 2023 I think this applies more to the ACC and the Pac-12 than the SEC. I do not see this year's SEC as, especially with 8 conference games. any more of a gauntlet than the Pac-12.

UCLA could be a 20-something AP Poll filler as well as the SEC teams that are ranked there. 

But, come April 2024, the SEC will once again dominate the draft.

There's been grumbling about Florida and the N.I.L. There's been a level of arrogance surrounding the program for years, despite it's failures. It's picking up, because the boosters, businesses and donors are realizing you can't just depend on being the University of Florida, being a great academic institution ,and standing on the legacies of past icons.

I'm not concerned about that part. I wish the program would have hit the portal more, but Napier doesn't think he needs to get too many rentals. He's a good recruiter, I just think he needs to realize those surrounding the program are anxious. Losing Rashada isn't the backbreaker most think. He changed his mind. It happens, 17 year olds can make decisions and then change them. Ohio State lost their five star QB. It's just the effect of transfers. They lost Ewers after he was there a year as well.

As far as the SEC being down this year, sure. We don't have great QB play. But to say the ACC is more cutthroat because of one year? I'm not buying it. If one year was an indicator, the PAC would be the preeminent football league. Instead of being the league with the fewest playoff appearances, and wins(tied with the Big 12). A down year in the SEC still has the National Title favorite. 

I'm not sure Florida State, Miami, Duke, or Clemson would make the conference title game in the SEC. 

Oregon and Washington might, the physicality your Ducks have shown, will matchup well with Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State.  Most likely one of those will be your matchup. I would put Oregon and Michigan as the most impressive teams I've seen. But something tells me that Georgia is going to improve and look like what we expect.

Kind of a long explanation for a short answer. Bullet points are that Florida will have the talent, the alumni base is too large and loyal. Under Meyer, there were rumors of dealerships and businesses doing things that are legal today.  The SEC isn't the best conference this year so far, but it's not going away as the most cutthroat conference in the country. 

Lastly, I believe in the PAC and your Ducks as the best I've seen so far. Crazy to think you could see Oregon playing their future conference mates in the playoff. I'm not sold on the ACC yet. 

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Applause 1

On 10/1/2023 at 5:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon is currently -13.5. I see this as a balance-the-book spread but Oregon is tripping to Seattle as the favorite for reasons known to the desert sages. 

Really ?!  Now this really surprises me because the game is in Seattle and the Huskies are ranked higher. Penix is on the inside track for the Heisman and the Huskies beat Oregon in Eugene last year.  Either the gamblers are looking to recoup some losses or they figure the defense of the Huskies is really suspect.  I'd guess a game time spread of -6 for UW, but this is why I never gamble real money - unless it's lunch and a beer, or some such.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:46 PM, Solar said:

I think AZ did a lot more for Oregon, showing us the weaknesses UW has and how to beat them.

Well, there's that, all right.  But they have the film on how Stanford had success themselves in the 1st Qtr too.  It wasn't just a slow start, Stanford had the right game plan until O made the right adjustments. Then the speed and talent difference took over.  UW matches O in both of those categories better than S did, that's for sure.  

I'm not saying Oregon won't win this game - Lord, I hope they do - but it is easily the toughest game on the schedule until Utah and both being on the road make them even tougher.  

On 10/2/2023 at 7:08 AM, Mic said:

Really ?!  Now this really surprises me because the game is in Seattle and the Huskies are ranked higher. Penix is on the inside track for the Heisman and the Huskies beat Oregon in Eugene last year.  Either the gamblers are looking to recoup some losses or they figure the defense of the Huskies is really suspect.  I'd guess a game time spread of -6 for UW, but this is why I never gamble real money - unless it's lunch and a beer, or some such.

I don't understand this line. But, UW fans can point out that Oregon in their opinion has played no one but what about UW? Boise, Tulsa, Michigan State, Cal, and Arizona.

The Ducks OOC win at TX Tech that ended TT's 26-game home opener win streak was a far better win than UW mauling a dysfunctional Michigan State team.

2 teams in the nation are in the top 10 in scoring and scoring defense. Oklahoma and OREGON.

The improvement on D in DL's 2nd season has been terrific. And D travels as does an O that is not turning the ball over.

Still, I think the line should be more like OREGON -5.5.

What's the line on GameDay being in Seattle? If GameDay is anywhere else it will be further proof that Mickey Mouse is pinching pennies. In South Bend for ND vs. OH ST.  At Duke for ND at Duke. If the Gameday crew returns to South Bend for the USC game and does not trip to Seattle, Lee Corso will be given a vote in the next Papal election.

• Great post! 1

I've been wanting chaos since the four team playoff started. Mostly because I hated them calling it a playoff. But more often than not, there's been little criticism of who ended up winning it. This year you could have that chaos.

Say Texas, Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia, and Florida State all go undefeated. Then you have Oklahoma, Washington or USC, Miami, Michigan, Alabama and Notre Dame with only one loss.

Surprise? Kentucky qualifies for many, although I am not very surprised, And these dudes almost always play Georgia close and make the Dawgs earn everything they get on offense. Georgia, as dominant as they were becoming last year, only beat the Wildcats in Lexington by 10. The one I didn't see coming in the SEC is Missouri, now 5-0  and ranked to boot. And suddenly, assuming teams can hold their ranking, the soft schedule that Georgia was supposed to have includes four ranked teams down the stretch (counting Kentucky this week).

Are the Dawgs up to it? Sure, if they clear some of the major injuries they've had in a nightmare year for injuries. Right now, they will be favored in every regular season game. Yet I don't have the unflappable confidence that they will get through the regular season unscathed this year. I also don't see a truly dominant team this year. If the Dawgs get to the playoffs, I'd say there will be nobody there they cannot beat in a single game. The thing that is different this year is that all the other teams may be good enough to beat them on a given day as well.

So it is an intriguing season to be sure. My head tells me it is probably better for someone other than Georgia to win it this year. If that comes to pass, I sure as hell hope it is Oregon.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Oregon/UW line is now Oregon +3.5. Right where we want the line to make a win in Seattle even sweeter.

• Thumbs Up 1