Charles Fischer

B1G: How Much Bigger Will Oregon's Audience Grow?

I know we have bigger fish to fry with it being Husky Hate Week, but I cannot help but ponder how the number of people who actively watch Oregon will grow beginning next year.  The reasons are quite numerous...

1. We will not be on a network that is unavailable to most households.

2. We will be on the biggest stations, and usually available for viewing at Eastern time slots.(These first two alone could be a 30% bump...)

3. We will be involved in many more blockbuster games--with teams the public knows better than those on the west coast.

4. We will get the applause and recognition granted to a super-conference; the absence of the side-swipes or put-downs being the Pac-12 will improve our image.

5. We will be bringing thousands of fans to B1G stadiums, and hosting even more to our stadium, of which will increase viewing over the years by those with a "Eugene" experience.

What reasons do you have for our audience growth, and how much larger do you think it will be five years?   I know it sounds kooky, but I really believe we could have a 50% larger global audience in five years.

Why?  Because we are going to be darned entertaining to watch!  

Thoughts?

Oregon and B1G Logo.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Not at all kooky.

Dux already have a worldwide brand.

The B1G will only magnify it.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Great take, Charles.

And there will be fewer 10:30 Eastern kickoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It might not grow as much as we think coming off the blocks. The natural bump most likely comes from the fans of new conference members. Naturally some of the fans of old conference members will tune out. 

Early in the season people will be curious and tune in. After a couple games I could see fans lose interest if Oregon isn't very competitive. A previous thread points out the struggles Oregon could face next year. If Oregon can't replace personel lost in the off season and remain competitive, fans will tune out.

Ducks have a very young and inexperienced coach so this is a real possibility. Hopefully Oregon can figure it out a remain competitive.

There is a flip side to every coin. And perhaps Oregon remains competitive at the top of the B1G. If that happens the whole country will be tuned in and the Oregon fan base grows tremendously.

My opinion is that Oregon shows up and balls out. But thats a tough schedule. Here's hoping for the best.

• Go Ducks! 1

If we think that “Oregon”, “Ducks”, fun creative offenses, cutting edge swag, uniforms, in-game fan experiences and traditions have made UO a national brand Charles is correct that the audience and fan base should explode with superior distribution.

How much it expands will depend on how competitive the football team is and how consistently it is ranked inside the Top Ten, plus whether Oregon wins one or more national championship titles during the next five years.

Some other factors that may affect the audience volume and popularity are, in no particular order:

- What Dan Lanning’s image on the national stage becomes

- Whether the Ducks have Star players on their rosters who are locks for NFL careers

- Whether UO, Ducks Football, players and staff will avoid scandal

- and many other influencing factors

40% lift within five years?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now, In the EST and CST a lot of Oregon kickoffs are at 10:30 pm with games going into 2 am or later......on a Saturday night.

There will still be some games in that slot but most games will probably be targeted at 8 EST or earlier.....the audience available will be like night and day.

A Thursday night game at 7pm est will be in prime time instead of buried late.....attracting all the college football fans. Imagine Mich vs Oregon on a Thursday night....the audience will be huge. 

Nothing against the Pacific Northwest, I lived there not too long ago and loved it, but.......80% of US population lives east of I 35. That is where the eyeballs exist and to some degree is more football interested. Lots of outdoor folks in Oregon that don't know what a touchdown might be, whereas in the midwest in November, what else is there to do. LOL. Most of the BIG stadiums, even the perennial losers have stadiums that are at least 75% filled......as opposed to Stanford, UCLA, Cal, Az St, Az, Co that are lucky to attract 20000 on game day. Not to mention Wa St and Or St with their 33000 capacity.  

The major networks are where the eyeballs are, I receive pac 12 network in Indy, but I pay for the most expensive spectrum package to get it. I bet its use in a sea of 250 channels can be counted with one bag of beans.  

On Fox, CBS the Ducks will be watched by a huge audience.....and most importantly available to young eyes and their parents who are future recruits and transfers. Yes Mrs Dawson, you will be able to see Dwayne every Saturday if he comes to Oregon. 

A game featuring USC and Oregon is a big game on the west coast but a game featuring Ohio St and Oregon is a national blockbuster. Those bright green uniforms, crowded stadium, will be camera attractive. 

Folks in the midwest like to see attractive backgrounds....those mountains will work well......and on a snowing November day, the bright green....nice.  

I can't imagine what the folks at Nike are going to do to goose viewership with their national flagship university beaming into Chicago, Cleveland, Indy, NY, etc etc

There are alumni and staff that will just love to travel to Eugene (with so much to experience) instead of Champaign, Il etc. 

On 10/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, fred flintstone said:

A game featuring USC and Oregon is a big game on the west coast but a game featuring Ohio St and Oregon is a national blockbuster.

Such a much bigger audience!

On 10/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, fred flintstone said:

I can't imagine what the folks at Nike are going to do to goose viewership with their national flagship university beaming into Chicago, Cleveland, Indy, NY, etc. etc..

Interesting point...I've gotta think that there are partnership opportunities that I cannot even imagine yet.  Good stuff.

Mr. FishDuck

What seems inevitable somewhere down the road are on-going non-conference contracts between the two big kids on the block. Imagine what B1G-SEC match-ups would do for viewership.

Well the B1G Network alone is offered on most packages, coast to coast. They decided to pair with cable networks to help launch it. Larry thought he was smarter than "The Room" when he launched the PAC Twelve Network four years later.  

Recently Mark Helfrich caught up with Larry in his posh San Francisco pad. That the PAC paid for. He was asked if he felt any remorse for helping destroy the 108 year old conference.

Edited by GatOrlando

Well, B1G does have Peacock and that is worse than the PAC12 network.  However, the number of games shown on that network is much lower than the PAC12 network.

Peacock will contain eight regular-season football games and potentially up to 47 regular-season men’s basketball games (32 conference and 15 non-conference) and 30 regular-season women’s basketball games (20 conference and 10 non-conference).

As of right now, the B1G is not in the normal package for Comcast/Xfinity.  Comcast/Xfinity website says they offer it as part of their normal package for regions with B1G TEN teams, so I'm hoping when the Ducks join it next year, I won't have to pay extra for the channel.  

DishTV had the B1G as part of their normal package, but they couldn't deal done with FOX and I wasn't going to have another football season of not being able to record games.