Charles Fischer

Wowsa. Lanning Just Matched the Second-Best Recruiting Year EVER

He has 16 of the 4/5-Star players on Rivals, of which equals his class last year that was the second best ever at Oregon.  Can he match the best of Cristobal's 19 in 2021? 

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

The definitive source for all Oregon news.

Or should he NOT go for record and save scholarships for the portal?

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon Recruiting: Nation's No. 1 JUCO Prospect Sione Laulea III Sets  Commitment Date - Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

SIONE LAULEA  A 6'3" corner who is fast?  (I guess that is why he was the No. 1 JUCO prospect)

Mr. FishDuck

BTW....it is only early OCTOBER.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

A 6'4 corner with speed. What a great get. Seems like all Oregon has done is win since you announced your call up to the new league. Guy kind of reminds me of Sauce Gardner.

On 10/8/2023 at 10:50 PM, Sunshine Larry said:

A 6'4 corner with speed. What a great get. Seems like all Oregon has done is win since you announced your call up to the new league. Guy kind of reminds me of Sauce Gardner.

Let's hope he can get into the 1st round NFL draft like Sauce did.  He sure has great measurables.  

On 10/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He has 16 of the 4/5-Star players on Rivals, of which equals his class last year that was the second best ever at Oregon.  Can he match the best of Cristobal's 19 in 2021? 

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

That's an INSANE level of recruiting that's becoming more and more common up in Eugene. Sheesh! 🔥🔥🔥

Oh, and to answer your question Charles, I'd say save a few for the portal. We have a very healthy mix of portal players and homegrown recruits who are contributing on both sides of the ball and it is my humble opinion that it will continue paying dividends well into the future!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning understands that what has made the better SEC teams is DEPTH. He is finding a way to bring this to the Ducks.

Great pickup. Laulea has played enough football he might be able to contribute immediately. Thats important under the circumstances IMO.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

IMHO I don't think the record is something to strive for.  Mario seemed to reach for that mark and many of those young men have left the program.

The young men that Dan brings in seem to be making a solid impact right away. While those that don't, are willing to sit behind a older transfer and learn. 

I say leave a few for key transfers.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

WDLW, acronym for Whatever Dan Lanning Wants. In the future this will be my standard answer for this type of question, the guy is killing it!

• Go Ducks! 1

It looks to me that Dan has learned that bringing the best players he can get for what he needs at each position is where he is targeting. Looks to be working so far.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Or should he NOT go for record and save scholarships for the portal

Undoubtedly there will be current Ducks who will transfer for various reasons, so I think the portal evens out after the season.

I tend to be risk averse, so I say take the bird in the hand—build as strong a class as possible then fill in the holes in the Spring with the portal.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:36 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

Undoubtedly there will be current Ducks who will transfer for various reasons, so I think the portal evens out after the season.

I tend to be risk averse, so I say take the bird in the hand—build as strong a class as possible then fill in the holes in the Spring with the portal.

I'm with you, if they're good enough, take the sure thing.

My concern for next year, as I'm sure is most fans, is who will we have for a quaterback.  It seems like all the good teams have great quarterback play anymore.  Will either present backups be good enough, will the two new recruits be the answer, or will Lanning again dip into the transfer portal for a proven high end player like he did with Nix.?  We have all the pieces for next year, except the uncertainty of the most important position, the QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if the right person was in the portal, Lanning would grab him.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan is very astute and given his track record so far I trust him to do what is best.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/9/2023 at 8:07 AM, 47sgs said:

I'm with you, if they're good enough, take the sure thing.

My concern for next year, as I'm sure is most fans, is who will we have for a quaterback.  It seems like all the good teams have great quarterback play anymore.  Will either present backups be good enough, will the two new recruits be the answer, or will Lanning again dip into the transfer portal for a proven high end player like he did with Nix.?  We have all the pieces for next year, except the uncertainty of the most important position, the QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if the right person was in the portal, Lanning would grab him.

Dan will be taking the best QB he can get from the portal every single year we don't have a return Heisman candidate.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:39 AM, BigDog said:

IMHO I don't think the record is something to strive for.  Mario seemed to reach for that mark and many of those young men have left the program.

The young men that Dan brings in seem to be making a solid impact right away. While those that don't, are willing to sit behind a older transfer and learn. 

I say leave a few for key transfers.

I think the key difference between Lanning and Cristobal in terms of recruitment is that Lanning is recruiting players who have the correct traits to fit his scheme. 

Cristobal recruited physical athletes and tried to ram them into whatever scheme (or lack thereof) that he had at Oregon. 

A big example is the recruitment of Noah Sewell and Justin Flowe as linebackers. Sewell didn't fit as a linebacker and probably should have been developed as an edge rusher. He is built like an old school linebacker but his coverage skills were always dubious. 

And Flowe... well he's got incredible physical traits but lacks the mental ability for the game. He was basically pushed out by Lanning and he probably cost Zona the game against USC this last weekend. 

Lanning isn't chasing stars that's for sure. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:57 AM, David Marsh said:

I think the key difference between Lanning and Cristobal in terms of recruitment is that Lanning is recruiting players who have the correct traits to fit his scheme. 

Cristobal recruited physical athletes and tried to ram them into whatever scheme (or lack thereof) that he had at Oregon. 

A big example is the recruitment of Noah Sewell and Justin Flowe as linebackers. Sewell didn't fit as a linebacker and probably should have been developed as an edge rusher. He is built like an old school linebacker but his coverage skills were always dubious. 

And Flowe... well he's got incredible physical traits but lacks the mental ability for the game. He was basically pushed out by Lanning and he probably cost Zona the game against USC this last weekend. 

Lanning isn't chasing stars that's for sure. 

I agree with everything you stated. The previous leadership really seemed to chase after the stars where this leadership team doesn't.