Ktmguy2018

B1G Regents Breathe A Sigh Of Relief

The regents of UofO and UW's new conference probably breathed a collective sigh of relief after watching Saturday's game.  They witnessed Game Day pandemonium, a prime timeslot, and an incredible football game that was not decided until the final seconds.  Why does this matter?

Well, after the Ducks lost; I turned off college football and headed into the backyard to eradicate some stubborn dandelions.  I was fueled by anger, fury, frustration, and grief.  Let me tell you, the dandelion community will speak of that day in hushed voices.

I could not bring myself to watch any more football because I knew that the highlights would be of the game UoO had just lost and I did not need to see that continuously.  While going through the remainder of the day, fasting from any future games, I completely missed several of the other Pac-12 scores.  Lost on me was the absolute BEAT DOWN that Notre Dame inflicted on USC and the pummeling that OSU gave to UCLA.

At the start of this season, many national columnists were ready to hand the CFP championship to USC.  As they say, this is why we play the games.  The USC fan boards are beside themselves about the defense (rightly so), the offensive line, the running backs, the receivers, probably even the people who squirt water into the players' mouths.  If they take a step back, what they are witnessing is Lincoln Riley 2.0.  This is how his teams perform.  Flashy offensive numbers until they meet a defense.  Now, take UCLA.   Seventh in the Pac-12.  No needle-moving progress or performances.  Honestly, I couldn't even name UCLA's quarterback.

The two programs that the Big(whatever#) added last are the absolute CREAM of the Pac-12 and the nation.  The programs that seemed to be the feather in the cap of the Big(whatever#) are NOT living up to expectations.  Yes, they potentially bring a fan base and a brand, but their hard-core fan base is thinning and they have a significant portion that is more of the "bandwagon fans". 

The fan bases of UofO and UW are intense, loyal, and not fair-weather.  What the Regents saw this past Saturday undoubtedly will leave them high-fiving and back-slapping for bringing in UofO and UW.  Oregon is built for championship runs (the loss aside) and I have no doubt they can go toe-to-toe with Ohio State and Michigan.  I am sure UW supporters would say the same thing about their team.  I don't think their is anyone at the Regent level that sees USC standing up to either Ohio State or Michigan.

*LIGHT BULB MOMENT*  Maybe, just maybe that is why the trojan fans were soooo angry and bitter about UofO and UW joining.  They know they have just been relegated to the 3rd best Pac-12 team added to the Big.  

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 8
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

They witnessed Game Day pandemonium, a prime timeslot, and an incredible football game that was not decided until the final seconds.  Why does this matter?

Duck and Fusky fans rank up there with any fan base in the country in the passion category. And yes they are the two best programs added to the B1G.

And although the game has been decided, the conference is wide open for either of these two teams and everyone paying attention knows it.

Take care of WSU Ducks and do it decisively. Thats all that this team needs to focus on right now. The rest will get here soon enough.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

What the Regents saw this past Saturday undoubtedly will leave them high-fiving and back-slapping for bringing in UofO and UW. 

True, and unfortunately--they got us at a bargain compared to the LA schools.  But we will do just fine....

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Let me tell you, the dandelion community will speak of that day in hushed voices.

Just had to say that I appreciated this.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3

B1G, some big-time Pac-12 help is on the way.

"The lame kids who all just pretend to love horrific offenses and ugly games were all over Iowa at Wisconsin on Saturday." David Hale ESPN+

Iowa won 15 - 6. The player of the game for Iowa was the punter. 10 (!) punts for 506 yards.

Iowa QB Deacon Hill was 6 for 14 for a robust 37 yards. 

Iowa is 5-1 which speaks to how crummy the B1G is top to bottom, and ranked for some reason #24. This Iowa team lost 31-0 at Penn State. 

Michigan State was up 24-6 heading into the 4th Q at home and lost to Rutgers. (J. Smith - Just Say "NO!")

A Maryland team that put up a decent game against Ohio State lost to a putrid Illinois team. 

[And how about the B12? The 4 newbies are 1-9 with the win coming from Houston Friday night on a walk-off Hail Mary in Morgantown, W VA. With OK, and TX leaving town, the Utes should prosper in the JV Power 2. If, anyone cares?]

Are all the B1G Regents happy? The B1G little 11 probably are not ecstatic to have 4 ranked West Coast teams joining the conference. But there are many happy campers at Fox, CBS, and NBC/Peacock. 

There is a big-time B1G game coming up this Saturday when 7. Penn State +4.5 heads to Columbus to play 3. Ohio State.

Michigan continues its visit to the OOC/B1G bakery with a game at Michigan State.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Year in and Year out, in the B1G will up Oregon's game.  People complain about bringing in Top Competition, all those years for Oregon and bringing in Dan Lanning, Phil you did not make a mistake.  Winners CHALLENGE, leave it out there, all the time.  Give it all they have, trust the process.  The movie with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.  How Nike became NIKE with a Swoosh.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the B1G regents are like the PAC presidents, I doubt any of them watched the game.... 

But I'm sure FOX is ecstatic!  What a deal they got!

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2023 at 12:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

B1G, some big-time Pac-12 help is on the way.

"The lame kids who all just pretend to love horrific offenses and ugly games were all over Iowa at Wisconsin on Saturday." David Hale ESPN+

Iowa won 15 - 6. The player of the game for Iowa was the punter. 10 (!) punts for 506 yards.

Iowa QB Deacon Hill was 6 for 14 for a robust 37 yards. 

Iowa is 5-1 which speaks to how crummy the B1G is top to bottom, and ranked for some reason #24. This Iowa team lost 31-0 at Penn State. 

Michigan State was up 24-6 heading into the 4th Q at home and lost to Rutgers. (J. Smith - Just Say "NO!")

A Maryland team that put up a decent game against Ohio State lost to a putrid Illinois team. 

[And how about the B12? The 4 newbies are 1-9 with the win coming from Houston Friday night on a walk-off Hail Mary in Morgantown, W VA. With OK, and TX leaving town, the Utes should prosper in the JV Power 2. If, anyone cares?]

Are all the B1G Regents happy? The B1G little 11 probably are not ecstatic to have 4 ranked West Coast teams joining the conference. But there are many happy campers at Fox, CBS, and NBC/Peacock. 

There is a big-time B1G game coming up this Saturday when 7. Penn State +4.5 heads to Columbus to play 3. Ohio State.

Michigan continues its visit to the OOC/B1G bakery with a game at Michigan State.

Not to derail this thread, but no way J-Smith will go to MSU. Maybe Tucker could be bribed with enough cash to give up a great thing, but look at his moral/wisdom track record.

Crap job at a rust belt school renown for moral failings, and getting pounded by big brother and his two other cousins every year, vs Alma Mater he's has built from the ground up to a nearly top 10 team. Notginnahappen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:34 PM, Cacker Guy said:

If the B1G regents are like the PAC presidents, I doubt any of them watched the game.... 

But I'm sure FOX is ecstatic!  What a deal they got!

LOL. I was thinking the same thing!

On 10/16/2023 at 4:01 PM, Solar said:

Not to derail this thread, but no way J-Smith will go to MSU. Maybe Tucker could be bribed with enough cash to give up a great thing, but look at his moral/wisdom track record.

Crap job at a rust belt school renown for moral failings, and getting pounded by big brother and his two other cousins every year, vs Alma Mater he's has built from the ground up to a nearly top 10 team. Notginnahappen.

I think that Johnathan Smith, as a OSU alumni and legend, will be loyal to Oregon State for at least a couple of years. 

Perhaps they should look northward to Seattle for their next head coach…

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:01 PM, Solar said:

And yet, Michigan State is 1 of 3 B1G teams that made the Final 4, thanks to a Ducks loss in East Lansing (overthrow on a pass to Huff by a QB with a dinged finger, SIGH) and a Ducks win in Palo Alto. Then, Sparty said hello and goodbye to Saint Nick and Alabama.

Stanford was a far better team than Sparty that season as was proved up in the Rose Bowl beatdown of Iowa. Stanford and Oregon did their utmost to keep one another out of the playoffs.

J. Smith is making bank in Corvallis but the Mountain West vs. the B1G?

Kevin Warren was the guy pushing for USS, UCLA. He's an NFL guy, saw a chance to get an NFL type television deal. To the B1G purists, it was atrocious. Oddly the two you think would have the most issue with it, didn't. It's Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern who were the angriest.

Many Iowa fans are peeved that Nebraska has had more matchups with Ohio State, and Michigan, than Iowa has. Once Oklahoma and Texas left for the SEC, Kevin Warren saw his chance. Coast to coast games. Every time zone, games on Fox, CBS, and NBC. It's just like the NFL. This thing is out of the bottle now. Oregon, and Washington are in the club. They can't be kicked out now.

Let USC denigrate you as the bargain bin Ducks, or clearance rack Huskies.  Oregon and Washington are gonna make as much as they would have if the PAC had gotten a television deal. But that amount goes up, and the exposure they'll get is invaluable.

On 10/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, GatOrlando said:

Oregon and Washington are gonna make as much as they would have if the PAC had gotten a television deal

No, the average over 10 years is nearly 50 million a year, nearly double what the Pac-12 would have had after expenses charged, or subscription criteria demanded.

Our audience will grow incredibly in the B1G, so this was a no-brainer.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, GatOrlando said:

Kevin Warren was the guy pushing for USS, UCLA. He's an NFL guy, saw a chance to get an NFL type television deal. To the B1G purists, it was atrocious. Oddly the two you think would have the most issue with it, didn't. It's Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern who were the angriest.

There were reports that the B1G originally wanted Oregon and USC but FOX wanted UCLA and the LA television market.  Kevin Warren was in favor of adding Oregon and Washington sooner but most in the B1G didn't want to be the ones that were viewed as blowing up the Pac-12 (even though they were directly responsible for the first dominoes).

On 10/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

Take care of WSU Ducks and do it decisively. Thats all that this team needs to focus on right now. The rest will get here soon enough.

^ ^ ^ ^

This!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, OregonDucks said:

There were reports that the B1G originally wanted Oregon and USC but FOX wanted UCLA and the LA television market.  Kevin Warren was in favor of adding Oregon and Washington sooner but most in the B1G didn't want to be the ones that were viewed as blowing up the Pac-12 (even though they were directly responsible for the first dominoes).

After ESPN 'stole' OK and TX, there was no way Fox was going to allow ESPN into the LA hen house.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 5:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No, the average over 10 years is nearly 50 million a year, nearly double what the Pac-12 would have had after expenses charged, or subscription criteria demanded.

Our audience will grow incredibly in the B1G, so this was a no-brainer.

My bad. I thought I read it started at 35 million, then increase by a million each year until this current deal is up. The Big 12 got around 34 million, not sure what the ACC is locked into. The Utah President thought the PAC should get 50 million a year. I think ESPN was offering what the Big 12 eventually got.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:55 AM, GatOrlando said:

My bad. I thought I read it started at 35 million, then increase by a million each year until this current deal is up. The Big 12 got around 34 million, not sure what the ACC is locked into. The Utah President thought the PAC should get 50 million a year. I think ESPN was offering what the Big 12 eventually got.

Right.  The AVERAGE is 49 million over 10 years.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/17/2023 at 4:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Right.  The AVERAGE is 49 million over 10 years.

I've grown up dependant on computers . My math skills are beyond suspect.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:08 PM, OregonDucks said:

Did the B1G need both L.A schools to get the market? My guess is Fox wanted the PAC to implode. Taking both L.A schools may have been more harmful to any potential television negotiations. 

On 10/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

Take care of WSU Ducks and do it decisively. Thats all that this team needs to focus on right now. The rest will get here soon enough

I actually feel sorry for WSU.  The players know they didn't execute enough to win, and they're going to punish the Cougars for it.

I actually think Utah is going to beat the brunt from this too.  I think a nuclear bomb is about to drop on Pullman and Salt Lake.  Lots of carnage is going to be left behind. 

• Go Ducks! 1