FishDuck Article

The Oregon Ducks Offense: The Texas Cross

A lot of people will blame either aggressive game management or play-calling for the Oregon Ducks’ loss to the Washington Huskies. But aggressiveness has successfully been a calling card of this team and play-calling is often the low hanging fruit used to explain why a play didn’t work out. However, the way a play is executed in key moments can ...

FISHDUCK.COM

A lot of people will blame either aggressive game management or play-calling for the Oregon Ducks' loss to the Washington Huskies.
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Coach Eric, thank you for your analysis.  Spot on!  Execution by the QB of his progression as you said should be first - the bunch see what happens there.

Perfect play call - Holden was wide open!  Maybe one of the tendencies Bo developed is to look at his favorite receiver first.  I'm sure he's realized his mistake and will make him an even better QB for the rest of the season.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great point. The failure was caused by poor execution, not the play call. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I am sure Bo wants that one back as much as Holden wanted the pass. Was the pass off too? Seems like he saw the single coverage and knew he wanted to make that throw, correct?

Lanning had they had a timeout if the defense wasn't set up to make the play work, so what went wrong?

Tough lesson, but DeBoer's statement about tendencies should be a big message too. Unless you have a play no one can stop, they don't exist, play the options everytime.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another one of these great explanatory articles from FishDuck that keep bringing me back to this site.  Thanks Charles

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, Smith72 said:

Coach Eric, thank you for your analysis.  Spot on!  Execution by the QB of his progression as you said should be first - the bunch see what happens there.

Perfect play call - Holden was wide open!  Maybe one of the tendencies Bo developed is to look at his favorite receiver first.  I'm sure he's realized his mistake and will make him an even better QB for the rest of the season.

Troy Franklin is a beast and 9 times out of 10 he comes up with the catch, but occasionally you run into that 10th time.

His route is what I would consider an access throw. I believe the corner should be playing more off than that to take it. We don’t know what Nix saw in the moment, but he’s a smart guy and he has smart coaches — they’ll see the film and notice Holden getting open on this concept. 
Holden was also open on the same concept — from a different formation — on the 3rd down right before halftime. Nix went with the bench concept on the other side of the formation, and got yards, but Holden arguably could have gotten a TD there too. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2023 at 9:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am sure Bo wants that one back as much as Holden wanted the pass. Was the pass off too? Seems like he saw the single coverage and knew he wanted to make that throw, correct?

Lanning had they had a timeout if the defense wasn't set up to make the play work, so what went wrong?

Tough lesson, but DeBoer's statement about tendencies should be a big message too. Unless you have a play no one can stop, they don't exist, play the options everytime.

The throw was low, but probably not a bad idea considering how tight the DB’s coverage was. Nix just tried force it to his playmaker. Every QB has done it, and he probably wishes he had it back. It’s the type of thing most people wouldn’t notice in a big win. They’ll see it on film though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the analysis, Eric. Seen from that angle, Holden would have walked into the endzone. The zebra was kind of in the way, but Bo was certainly fixed on Franklin as his primary and just didn't seem to look anywhere else. A shame since he had decent protection and didn't need to rush the throw.

So the play call was the right one. A completion to Holden and it's game over. Every negative outcome creates a teaching situation that can improve performance going forward. I have faith that Nix and Stein have analyzed the bejeebers out of that play and the lessons will be learned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for your in-depth look into this particular play. 

As you pointed out, it seems that Bo should have recognized that there was tight coverage on Franklin before the snap and shifted his focus to the crossing routes. I can understand why Bo trusts Franklin in a big situation but you have to take what the defense gives you.

I hope that Bo learns from this and doesn’t repeat the same mistake this season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach, thank you once again.

The Athletic's Ari Wasserman has a great article today on The Athletic defending DL's 4th down go-for-it decision-making.

Ari notes that Oregon made the perfect hire bringing in DL. And that recruits like this kind of aggressive playcalling. Oregon is #9 in 247 2024 Composite Rankings. 

ESPN has Oregon ranked at #4 in the best 2024 recruiting classes to date.

Bo? Should Know as the P5 QB with the most all-time college starts but it is easy to play Sunday Morning QB when you are not in the heat of battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

A completion to Holden and it's game over.

Unfortunately I don't think that is the case.  

ewe dub was held and the Ducks got the ball back and went on to score a TD to take the lead.

Had the play worked, then every play the rest of the game is different and we still may have the same result.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I have faith that Nix and Stein have analyzed the bejeebers out of that play and the lessons will be learned.

AGREED

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon, I was about to post the comment on the Wasserman column as well.  He makes a strong argument in favor of DL's play calling and his future potential.  DL is 37, this is his first head coaching job.

The Athletic is a pay site, though pretty inexpensive if you subscribe during one of their "deals."  Has a lot of good stuff on college football.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Coach Boles for showing us that going for it was not flawed, as the criticism towards Stein is undeserved.  This is one time that Bo messed up, and with all he has done for us--we have to forgive his mistakes.

The reason though, you take the damn points, is because of all the variables--such as QB error that can take place.  (or WR error, or OL missing a block, etc.)

This is who Dan Lanning is; he will win games being aggressive, and he will lose more games for the same reason.  He has lost three games in a season and a half this way already...

Mr. FishDuck

It also appears the referee is playing pretty good pass defense at the moment Bo would have been looking for a target. Wrong place, wrong time and trying to get out of the way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 3:16 PM, WilsonvilleDuckFan said:

It also appears the referee is playing pretty good pass defense at the moment Bo would have been looking for a target. Wrong place, wrong time and trying to get out of the way. 

Those refs are pretty agile. I’ve seen the duck under so many passes. They’re quick. 

On 10/19/2023 at 11:39 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Thank you Coach Boles for showing us that going for it was not flawed, as the criticism towards Stein is undeserved.  This is one time that Bo messed up, and with all he has done for us--we have to forgive his mistakes.

While I agree with you on this particular play, I'd love for someone to take a look at the other two failed 4th down attempts. 

IMHO, Stein was relying too much on Bo to pass for the three fourth down attempts. With Oregon's running game, a mobile QB and Washington defense's weakness against the run (i.e., strength against weakness), I am shocked that Oregon didn't try at least one running play on the three attempts.

I don't have the heart to go back and watch the game but SI mentioned that Oregon didn't attempt any runs on 1st and goal at the end of the half.  That makes no sense, unless Oregon didn't have any timeouts remaining.

The last fourth down attempt, looked like a poor play design.  Our receivers were running 10 yard routes, when we only needed 3 and the two on the left side were in the same area of the field.  It's like Stein ran out of short yardage plays, so he just picked another play.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:35 AM, OregonDucks said:

IMHO, Stein was relying too much on Bo to pass for the three fourth down attempts. With Oregon's running game, a mobile QB and Washington defense's weakness against the run (i.e., strength against weakness), I am shocked that Oregon didn't try at least one running play on the three attempts.

Without getting inside the coaches heads I'd surmise the three pass attempts were called thinking that UW, (knowing their weakness against the run) would expect that instead.  But analysts here at FishDuck can probably point to defensive schemes presented to Bo to which he responded with the plays he did.  OR he passed because that was what was decided on by Stein & Co.  

On 10/20/2023 at 11:35 AM, OregonDucks said:

While I agree with you on this particular play, I'd love for someone to take a look at the other two failed 4th down attempts. 

I don't have the heart to go back and watch the game but SI mentioned that Oregon didn't attempt any runs on 1st and goal at the end of the half.  That makes no sense, unless Oregon didn't have any timeouts remaining.

The last fourth down attempt, looked like a poor play design.  Our receivers were running 10 yard routes, when we only needed 3 and the two on the left side were in the same area of the field.  It's like Stein ran out of short yardage plays, so he just picked another play.

They ran the same play from the article on the 3rd down right before half, and Holden was open there too.

I also believe Franklin was open on the 4th down play right before the half. 

Outside of a few plays, the passing game hadn’t really been stopped either, and the LBs were triggering fast on run plays, but I can see where you’re coming from. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles