Haywarduck

Does Lanning Have a Weakness Against OC Head Coaches?

If you look at Dan Lanning as a head coach his kryptonite seems to be Head Coaches who are OC's at heart. If true, this weekend shouldn't be a problem, but the next three weeks could be challenging.

While Lanning lost to his mentor, Kirby Smart a DC at heart, by a large margin, other coaches with a DC backgrounds haven't faired so well. The highest rated is probably Whittingham, who doesn't seem to have an answer for Lanning's style. Other DC's such as McGuire at TT, to BYU's Sitake with games we thought might be tough weren't, when a head coach has a defensive background.

On the other hand teams with an OC have sometimes done surprisingly well against Lanning. We all know the beav, game too well, and the dawgs with their great OC type head coach is a thorn in Lanning's side. 

Might SC, and the beavs cause some troubles for Lanning going forward, maybe even Dilly? We certainly should pause when facing Deboer, but is this something Lanning needs to work on, be more aware of?

Just a thought and maybe there isn't anything there, but something to ponder as we look to run the tables through the end of the season.

Interesting, but I think the sample size is still too small.

Especially this week, it has been stated many times that this Duck team is not the same as last year's Duck team -- they are much better. We can especially see this on the D side of the ball.

After the Georgia game, Kirby said, "Dan Lanning knows that we have better players than he does."

DL did something about that this last off season. He brought in 11-13 edge guys, some LBs, and some very good coverage guys. The coaches also developed they guys that they had from last year, including guys that didn't play last year.

This year it is not clear at all if Kirby has better players than Dan... and only in his SECOND YEAR?????  It normally takes 3-4, even 5 years for coaches to recruit and develop enough guys to really have "their guys".

I think this question should be revisited after a few more Lanning losses over the next few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:22 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Interesting, but I think the sample size is still too small.

IDK. Two of those losses were to UW with Penix at QB, each a 3 pt game decided by a questionable play call or two and a bit of bad luck.  Last year's CW loss where the Ducks knew what was coming and inexplicably didn't stop the run. Not really OC into HC playmaking brilliance.

Remember the UCLA game last year. The Chipper certainly didn't have DL's number there. Not a reason to underestimate the challenge from U$C, Beavus, hopefully the mutts again, and even Sparky. Let's see how the rest of this season plays out against offensively minded HCs.

• Go Ducks! 1

The losses last year to UW and OSU were on the defense, IMO.

In the off-season, DL and staff completely revamped the D with key transfer portal players and through high school recruiting. Oregon’s defensive is much improved this year and is one of our best in years. 

The loss this year to UW could have gone either way with a couple of different decisions or if Oregon executed and picked up just one of the three fourth downs.

Hopefully we get a rematch with the mutts in Vegas. 

• Let’s hope! 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

In the off-season, DL and staff completely revamped the D with key transfer portal players and through high school recruiting. Oregon’s defensive is much improved this year and is one of our best in years. 

The loss this year to UW could have gone either way with a couple of different decisions or if Oregon executed and picked up just one of the three fourth downs.

Defense, and coaching.  UW this year, coaching, not an opposing HC who was an OC.  USuC will not have seen an offense like ours, nor perhaps OSU, other than when they play UW. We'll have more balance than UW by far, more than either of them will see all year. We get them both at Autzen, and Cal.  ASU is an OC HC, and we will know him well.  I don't see that as a trap desert game, we're too much better. 

Neither USuC or beevz has seen or will see a defense as good as ours...I can say after yesterday's result in SLC

Oregon 44

Cal 17

And we'll score 37 of those points in the first 3 1/2 quarters, whereby Lanning will pull everyone out for the remainder of the game. 

Last year's kryptonite was our D.

This year, everyone else's kryptonite is our O, D and coaching adjustments.

I'm not worried about an offensive minded HC on the other sidelines.

P.S.  Let's thank coach Smith for making a call more questionable than all three of Dan's v ewe dub.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

The beavs outscored us 21-3 in the 4th quarter.  A fumble, and then a couple stalled offensive downs late.

We also only scored field goals to end the game, no touchdowns. All the offense needed to do was score one touchdown instead of a field goal, or not get curb stomped on defense in the 4th and we win. 

My take at the time, Dilly thought the game was over and was in Sun Devil mode, lost his focus, as the offensive output was inexcusable.

I just find it interesting Lanning seems to have trouble against OC's. I have a feeling it is just interesting, nothing to worry about. The next few games should make it apparent if this is a trend, or just a casual observation, not causal.

I will say I hate, not a strong enough term, losing to our rivals!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, Haywarduck said:

The beavs outscored us 21-3 in the 4th quarter.  A fumble, and then a couple stalled offensive downs late.

We also only scored field goals to end the game, no touchdowns. All the offense needed to do was score one touchdown instead of a field goal, or not get curb stomped on defense in the 4th and we win. 

My take at the time, Dilly thought the game was over and was in Sun Devil mode, lost his focus, as the offensive output was inexcusable.

I just find it interesting Lanning seems to have trouble against OC's. I have a feeling it is just interesting, nothing to worry about. The next few games should make it apparent if this is a trend, or just a casual observation, not causal.

I will say I hate, not a strong enough term, losing to our rivals!

Oregon was ahead 31-10 late in the 3rd quarter.  Barring turnovers, shouldn't you expect your defense to win you the game?  Twenty-one points in the 4th quarter to a team who couldn't throw a forward pass?  The Oregon defense got absolutely gashed on the ground by OSU last year - 268 yards rushing!  It was an embarrassment and reminded me of the Stanford game with Toby Gerhart.

Credit to the coaches for going out in the off-season and fixing the issue.

• Thanks 1

Maybe he does. Mostly I think he had a "Mariø developed these players" problem. But that seems to be behind him now so no worries 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2023 at 2:41 PM, Steven A said:

P.S.  Let's thank coach Smith for making a call more questionable than all three of Dan's v ewe dub.

It's almost like he watched the Oregon-Fusky games and said to himself "Anything you can do, I can do better!"