Desert Duck

Oregon @ Utah - One Play

There was one play just before the end of the 1st Q that made my jaw drop. Not because it turned into a TD pass play, but because of what Nix and the offense did before the snap.

When Bo first got behind his center and surveyed his kingdom, he saw that the Utes lined up in a three-man front. So, on the road, in a sold-out Rice Eccles stadium, with fans almost as loud as Autzen, he changed the play. That alone is a difficult thing to successfully do with that kind of noise and pressure.

But then, Utah quickly adjusted and moved to a five-man front. So then, what does Bo do? Well, naturally, Bo knows, so he audibles for a second time on the same play... with the clock winding down and hostile fans going nuts. He then takes a shotgun snap and throws a strike to James for an 18-yard TD.

There's just so much goodness going on within this play that I find rather incredible. To audible once in an extremely loud and hostile environment is difficult (as a reminder, it was early in the game and only 7-3 at that point, so you know the fans were still 110% into it). To do it twice on the same play and actually pull it off, is amazing. I cannot imagine what the Utes defensive coach, the truly great Morgan Scalley, was thinking after this play. It might have been something like, "I just got beat twice by a college QB... on the same play. Damn, I think we might be done for the day.😉😲

Finally, while Bo read the defense beautifully and initiated the two audibles, huge props must be given to the entire Oregon offensive squad. To have had the discipline to follow Bo, in extremely loud conditions, not jump before the snap, clock winding down, and execute flawlessly was truly a thing of football beauty.

If our Ducks can stay with this "One game at a time mentality," we may likely be in for something incredibly special this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 4

On 10/30/2023 at 3:37 PM, Desert Duck said:

To do it twice on the same play and actually pull it off, is amazing

I thought the same thing when I saw it. I had to do a double take. I wasn't sure I saw what I think I saw. I mentioned this in another post. Thanks for confirming it.

That right there is Bo's Heisman moment. I don't know if I have ever seen that at the college level. 

I was all in with Bo coming to Oregon but I had no idea that what we were going to get was this good. Just an amazing player. The best QB in college football by far. And that play affirms it in my mind

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I actually had a very similar reaction, and a sense watch that play multiple times.. I thought it spoke volumes about how how well Bo plays in all aspects of the game. He knew exactly how to read the defense. Both times, had a command of how much time is left on the play clock, and ended up running a play or Jordan James glided into the end zone completely untouched and uncontested. Bo is a true field general.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2023 at 3:59 PM, Log Haulin said:

That right there is Bo's Heisman moment. I don't know if I have ever seen that at the college level. 

You make a fabulous point. This one play truly epitomizes MVP. From the field, a college kid outcoached and out-executed a highly experienced, great, defensive coordinator – on one single play, while converting it for a TD. And every player on Bo’s side of the ball trusted him and was 100% in sync with him. That is simply exceptional leadership.

If the Heisman is truly awarded to the one player who has the greatest “team” impact, they might as well give it to Bo right now.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

I might be over thinking this and completely wrong but I think the Husky game has elevated this Duck team to a team that could actually win a national championship. 

On at least one 4th down attempt v. Fusky, the execution on the play lands squarely on Nix. He missed a wide open reciever (Holden I think) and his pre snap reads were poorly executed. Man this was hard to write, made me relive it one more time.

I commented after that game that this was a good loss and might just propel the Ducks to much greater heights. Partly this comment was my way of coping with a tough loss. Partly because I believed it true.

I think that loss has changed the way Nix sees the game real time. This one play seems to confirm this. The entire team just looks different the past couple weeks. 

Like I said, I could be compleatly wrong, but that experience on Oct 11 just might have elevated this Duck team and coaching staff to a level they might not otherwise reached.

We will see but I am super excited to see this season play out. I really think we are watching this team truly become elite.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think the Husky game has elevated this Duck team to a team that could actually win a national championship. 

This team is hungry after that loss...they are on a mission, and you can feel it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Definition of the Heisman. Most outstanding football player CFB. Great ability, excellence, integrity, diligence, perseverance, and Hard work.

Sounds like Bo to me. Just saying.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There was a comment by the commentators Bo was being paid 2 bigs, is that true? 

Agree with Log Haulin, as usual, the dawg game sharpened Bo's game.

The one aspect he needs to polish up is the long ball. I have a feeling there will be a program which will challenge Bo's ability to throw the deep route accurately. He needs to make defenses pay for bringing safeties up, might be the beav game?

And wasn't that also the play where Nix initially bobbled the snap and still got off a perfect pass to James in stride? So much going on in that one play. I, too, was amazed at Bo calling 2 audibles on the same play while watching real time. Your analysis Desert Duck (and comments elsewhere on this forum) only add to our appreciation of all that Nix and the entire offense accomplished.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2023 at 7:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

There was a comment by the commentators Bo was being paid 2 bigs, is that true? 

"2 bigs" Please, what does this mean?

On 10/31/2023 at 11:07 AM, Mic said:

"2 bigs" Please, what does this mean?

Big would be a million, more than double what the 49ers are paying Purdy. It's what the pundits stated during the game, seemed like a rumored amount, but I have no idea.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:36 PM, Haywarduck said:

Big would be a million, more than double what the 49ers are paying Purdy. It's what the pundits stated during the game, seemed like a rumored amount, but I have no idea.

Oh, OK.  wow

So, the pundits were speculating that the Duck's might be paying Bo $2 million?  I'm pretty surprised they'd even speculate on that during a live game, if this is what I think you're saying.  Is that even legal?  Gosh, I hope not!  

I think Bo might go very high in the draft, Heisman trophy or not.  Then he might get "2 Big ones", but not now surely?  CFB hasn't come to that yet, I hope.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:43 PM, Mic said:

Oh, OK.  wow

So, the pundits were speculating that the Duck's might be paying Bo $2 million?  I'm pretty surprised they'd even speculate on that during a live game, if this is what I think you're saying.  Is that even legal?  Gosh, I hope not!  

I think Bo might go very high in the draft, Heisman trophy or not.  Then he might get "2 Big ones", but not now surely?  CFB hasn't come to that yet, I hope.

It has come to that. Congress opened the flood gates. It's not my money so I don't care. Espn and fox are making a killing, Bo might as well get some.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:48 PM, Log Haulin said:

It has come to that. Congress opened the flood gates. It's not my money so I don't care. Espn and fox are making a killing, Bo might as well get some.

Then, if true, not to be a debbie-downer but won't the CFB come down to the teams with highest paid players?  Not necessarily recruited because players can always transfer to a higher bidder or a team looking to win the whole thing.  

Excuse me Log Haulin but I sure do hope this isn't what's coming, no matter how much money Phil Knight has.  Phil only has so many days left in him and then it's up to endowments and the surviving relatives.  

Also, it IS, in the long run, part of the fan's money - in ticket prices, DAF fees (I'm sure all schools have something similar) parking fees and all the related expenses of viewing a live game at least once in awhile.  Can you image where this is headed?