Pennsylvania Duck

First Official College Football Playoff Rankings of 2023 Season

Ducks ranked prominently...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Ducks ranked prominently in first official College Football Playoff rankings of 2023 season

• Thumbs Up 1

DUCKS OPEN CFP RANKINGS AT NO. 6

The Oregon football team came in at No. 6 in the first College Football Playoff rankings of 2023 revealed Tuesday evening on ESPN.

The Ducks (7-1, 4-1 Pac-12) are the nation's highest-ranked one-loss team, and are one of six Pac-12 teams in the top 25. Oregon and No. 5 Washington represent the Pac-12 in the top 10, followed by No. 16 Oregon State, No. 18 Utah, No. 19 UCLA and No. 20 USC.

Oregon has now appeared in the CFP rankings 35 times since it began in 2014, when UO went on to play in the inaugural CFP national championship game.

This is the Ducks' 20th top-10 CFP ranking, and highest since coming in at No. 6 on Nov. 6, 2022.

GODUCKS.COM

Oregon opened the first College Football Playoff rankings of the 2023 season at No. 6 on Tuesday.

Nice. Having the top two Pac teams ahead of the B12 two (Texas, OU) has huge implications if Oregon and Tex/OU both finish as a 1-loss conference champ!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ducks are right where they should be. Best 1 loss team and right in striking distance.

tOSU at #1 and Mich at #3 is concerning. If Mich beats tOSU close  in Ann Arbor. They flip? Kinda stacking the deck on that one.

But win out and Ducks should be in.

• Thumbs Up 2

SIX P12 teams out of 12 in the top 25.

That’s 50% of the conference.

P12   6/12  50%

SEC  6/14  43%

B12   5/14  38%

B1G  3/14  21%

ACC  2/14 14%

G5    3/#

The CFP made a clear statement that a 1-loss P12 Champ will get into the CFP ahead of a 1-loss B1G or SEC non-champ.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

Ohio State #1 seriously?  I guess we can maybe speculate who dominated the selection committee on this one.  

Oregon at #6 is reassuring but still left needing help to get in the final 4.  

Beating Washington in a rematch, (should both teams get that far) still leaves them one slot short.

But doesn't Michigan play Ohio St yet? 

Edited by Mic

On 10/31/2023 at 5:52 PM, Mic said:

But doesn't Michigan play Ohio St yet? 

They will play in November, so one is guaranteed to have 1-loss.

And the committee made clear that a 1-loss P12 team is better than any 1-loss team in any other league.

• Cool 1
  • Wow 1

Ducks at 6. Highest-ranked loss team. Perfect.

6 Pac-12 ranked. Nice.

5 B12 teams ranked, not so nice. Oklahoma on Saturday plays 22. OK ST instead of an unranked OK ST. 

But besides this, OK plays West Virginia, at BYU, and TCU. 3 teams that are not yet bowl-eligible. 

Texas plays #23, not AP #25, Kansas State on Saturday. Not much of a difference here.

The last 3 games for UT: are at TCU, at Iowa State (currently in a 5-way 1st place tie in the B12,) and Texas Tech. 3 teams that are not bowl-eligible to date.

A 1-loss B12 champ Oklahoma will not, IMO, take a playoff spot from a 12-1 Pac-12 champ Oregon. But a 12-1 Texas with the committee showing some love for the B12 and with a win in Tuscaloosa would have a stronger case than Oklahoma.

Georgia has work to do with 12. Mizzou, 10. Ole Miss, and at 17 TN, before finishing at Georgia Tech.

FSU should stroll into the ACC champ game and likely play a Louisville team that is not that good away from home. FSU plays at Pitt, Miami, North Alabama (the ACC's 8-game conference schedule is a joke, and even with going to 17 teams in 2024, the ACC plans to stay at eight games) and finishes at Florida. Miami and Florida are two rivalry games that could be tough.

5. UW, like UGA, has 3 ranked teams left - at 20 USC, 18. Utah, and at 16 OR ST, and finishes with WSU. I do not see UW going 12-0.

3. Michigan has 2 ranked games, at 11. Penn State, and 1. Ohio State remaining. Ohio State has one ranked team left, at 3 Michigan.

5 undefeated P5 teams are left and at the finish, I expect to see 2, if that.

The SEC has 3 teams in the Top 10. Not good that Ole Miss jumped Penn State in the committee's ranking. The conference with the best shot at getting 2 teams into the Final 4, 12-1 conference champ Alabama and 12-1 Georgia. But Bama has to get by LSU on Saturday before finishing with a game at Kentucky, Chattanooga (SIGH,) and at Auburn.

This is the 1st of 5 playoff committee rankings and I like where Oregon is situated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

SIX P12 teams out of 12 in the top 25.

That’s 50% of the conference.

P12   6/12  50%

SEC  6/14  43%

B12   5/14  38%

B1G  3/14  21%

ACC  2/14 14%

G5    3/#

The CFP made a clear statement that a 1-loss P12 Champ will get into the CFP ahead of a 1-loss B1G or SEC non-champ.

I do not like seeing 5 B12 teams ranked and 3 SEC teams in the top 10. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 5:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Ducks at 6. Highest-ranked loss team. Perfect.

This is the 1st of 5 playoff committee rankings and I like where Oregon is situated. 

It's certainly the very best they could have hoped for since dropping that game in Seattle.  Good news is they might get a chance at a rematch. But the Beavers might be able to pull off a win - they've done this to O before.  And there's USC.  One never knows...

• Thumbs Up 1

Our Ducks are right where we should be right now. 

FSU is a pretender. Unfortunately, with their soft schedule and some very underwhelming wins, they may likely just slide through unscathed and into the playoff, which, IMHO, would be a shame. 

Michigan has mopped the floor against their opponents, but so far against a bunch of Sisters of the Poor. However, we'll know if they belong there over the next 4 weeks after they play @ PSU and tOSU.

The one team in the top 10 that I think has a strong beef to make is Oklahoma. I just don't remotely see how they should be ranked behind Texas and Alabama.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/31/2023 at 5:52 PM, Mic said:

Ohio State #1 seriously?  I guess we can maybe speculate who dominated the selection committee on this one.  

Ohio state has the best wins out of everyone. Whisky, Penn St, ND. Hard not to put them at #1

Fusky has the best win but look like crap. Mich and UGA haven't played anyone. Thats about to change though.

I am bias but the Ducks look like the best team in the country right now. Eye test still matters and they have been playing in the prime slot a lot 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Of the top six in this first ranking?

Ohio State

Georgia

Michigan 

Florida State

Washington

Oregon

Four of the six will be in the 2024 B1G...  Whew!  Tough conference!

Dan Lanning_Oregon Football Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/31/2023 at 6:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I do not like seeing 5 B12 teams ranked and 3 SEC teams in the top 10

Me neither! 

The good thing is that the CFP has already ranked OR ahead of those B12 1-lossers. So they already stated that the PAC is a stronger league.

• Thumbs Up 1

What a lazy butt effort by the committee. As expected. Record first. Everything else distant second.

Then rank by most important P5 conferences.

"The only thing we were concerned about was Washington."

But when push comes to shove, you're okay with leaving them out, because hey, they're just PAC12. Let's forget the OC record of the conference.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:50 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I'd like to think that, but 5 undefeated P5 teams. The only one left out of the Playoffs is a PAC12 team. When the chips are down we can be left behind.

Let's say Georgia, Bama and the OSU end up one loss with undefeated FSU. Does a one loss PAC12 team still get in? I don't think so.

2024 can't get here fast enough.

We need to win our remaining games including the championship by an average score differential of 20 points or we are giving the CFP a major opening to screw us.

Edited by Solar
  • Great post! 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:14 PM, Solar said:

The only one left out of the Playoffs is a PAC12 team

Thats because Fusky isn't as good as their record and looked like garbage the last 2 games. They got it right with Fusky. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:14 PM, Solar said:

Let's say Georgia, Bama and the OSU end up one loss with undefeated FSU. Does a one loss PAC12 team still get in? I don't think so.

I respectfully disagree.

Bama has 1 loss already and is ranked behind a 1-loss P12 team.

The committee made it clear how they perceive the respective SOSs.

If either OR or WA win the Pac with 1 or fewer losses, they will be in.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Air Force and Tulane sit at #24 and #25. Shows respect but looks like the CFP isn't looking to have another Cincinnati fiasco. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The best thing that can happen for OBD is the Fuskies win and they play OBD in Las Vegas. I just have a sinking feeling they will lose to the Beavis in Cowvallis--that will put OBD out of the playoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Canzano: College Football Playoff path open for Oregon, Washington

Rapid reaction to the playoff rankings...

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Rapid reaction to the playoff rankings...

On 10/31/2023 at 6:51 PM, criticalduck said:

The best thing that can happen for OBD is the Fuskies win and they play OBD in Las Vegas. I just have a sinking feeling they will lose to the Beavis in Cowvallis--that will put OBD out of the playoffs. 

But then OSU's stock goes up again and OBD's get them in game 12. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 takeaways from the first Playoff poll of 2023

We made it. The moment that every college football fan has been waiting for came and went.

The first of the weekly Tuesday Playoff rankings shows is in the books.

OK, jokes aside, I do find it interesting to see how the selection committee views these teams that we’ve been dissecting for the last 2 months.

It’s perhaps not quite as reactionary as the AP Poll, yet it often feels like there’s at least 1 egregious mistake.

Let’s dig into some takeaways...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

What did we learn from Tuesday night's debut show?

Playoff positioning for top Pac-12 football teams

The first edition of college football’s playoff rankings was released last night, making us one week closer to where the road for many teams ends and the road to the championship begins.

With three-quarters of the regular season in the books, let’s see where these Pac-12 football teams stack up.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

The first edition of college football's playoff rankings was released last night, making us one week closer to where the road for many...

• Applause 1

Echoing a few posts above, 2024 B1G and SEC teams ranked in the 1st committee go-round and the average ranking.

B1G - 1. Ohio State 3. Michigan 5. UW 6. OREGON 11. Penn State 19. UCLA  20.USC

Divided by 7 = 9.28

SEC - 2. UGA 7. Texas 8. Bama 9. Oklahoma 10. Ole Miss 12. Mizzou 14. LSU 17. Tennessee

Divided by 8 = 9.87

Numbers go to the 2024 SEC. The average ranking goes to the B1G.

Puddles will be in the Power 2, which is nice.

Come 2024, I expect that the Power 2 will have 8 teams in the 12-team playoff field, season after season. More come 2026 when I expect that we will see a 16-team playoff field.

I also expect that Oregon will have a 1st round home game in 24/25 and thereafter.

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Urban Meyer circles Oregon as the team that could make the most noise in November

At least to Urban Meyer, Oregon is way better than the No. 6 team in the country. Of course, the loss is going to knock them down in the rankings. It’s how the College Football Playoff works, especially this early in the cycle.

However, when looking at the tape, you would have a tough time convincing Meyer that anybody is playing better at the moment other than Oregon.

“Oregon might be the best team in the country,” Meyer said via Urban’s Take with On3’s Tim May. “Just on videotape. Offense, defense, kicking.

That’s the way they play. They play really hard, they’re really well coached but they lost. So, I’m a head coach, going to say ‘Just don’t lose because we have a great team. But you did lose.’

“On video tape, Oregon might be the best team in the country.”

• Like 1