Charles Fischer

Kirk Herbstreit: 'I Wouldn't Want to Play Oregon Right Now'

My friends, for those who did not see the show--they were lavish again in praise of Our Beloved Ducks.  Kirk stated what is in the title of this post, and twice they made reference to the "physical" team Dan Lanning has created in Eugene.

And Kirk brought this up on his own when the question was posed to the group..."who do YOU think is the best team in the nation right now?"  And that is when Kirk gave the quote...wowsa.

Rece Davis and Joel Klatt have not been kind to the Ducks over the years, and to hear them in separate telecasts say so many great things about Oregon?

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

IMO, the scariest trams in the country are UGA, Oregon and tOSU. I think those 3 get in with FSU being the other.

I also think they want  a UGA v. Ducks rematch. So perhaps the final rankings would go

1. UGA 

2. OSU

3. FSU

4. UO

I would love that. I want to see Ducks v. Georgia in a big way. The semi guarantees it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Fun for us fans but so unlike the national media to lavish praise on the ducks.

Sure is nice to hear..

Hope the players are not listening to any of this fluff. Cal will give them their best shot

Go Ducks!

One game at a time. Beat Cal. ..

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oregon's next game is against Oregon. Go Oregon.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2023 at 9:26 PM, Log Haulin said:

IMO, the scariest trams in the country are UGA, Oregon and tOSU. I think those 3 get in with FSU being the other.

I also think they want  a UGA v. Ducks rematch. So perhaps the final rankings would go

1. UGA 

2. OSU

3. FSU

4. UO

I would love that. I want to see Ducks v. Georgia in a big way. The semi guarantees it.

If this plays out, seeding will be interesting.

Only 2 ACC teams ranked on Tuesday and FSU does not play Louisville in the regular season. Especially if LSU loses in Tuscaloosa on Saturday and Notre Dame wins at Clemson, Oregon's SOS will be stronger than FSU's SOS.

If Michigan wins at Penn State next Saturday, it will be favored over tOSU in Ann Arbor. tOSU has a very good D and a great WR in Harrison but the QB play of McCord is iffy. 2 INTs against Wisconsin would have sunk tOSU but for the Buckeyes run game against a mediocre Wisconsin D.

With 5 B12 teams ranked, I would not count out a 12-1 B12 champion Texas. And with UGA's schedule ramping up, like UW 3 ranked teams in the next 3 games, if Bama defeats LSU Saturday, and wins the SEC championship against Georgia, at 12-1 both SEC teams could get into the field.

FWIW, current SOS - UGA 100 and Michigan 111.

We've seen this SEC movie before.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

FYI

No of games each team will play or have played against ranked opponents. Not including playoff games.

Oregon      5

Mutts.        4

Georgia     4

Texas.       4

Alabama.   4

Ohio State 3 

Penn St.    3

Mich.         2

Florida St. 2

Oklahoma 2 

In my opinion if the Ducks win out how could you keep them out!

• Wow 1
  • Like 1

Yep, this year would certainly be an interesting 12-team playoff if only it had come to pass. I can't remember a year in recent memory when that would have been true. 

Sorry if this is off the theme of this thread. I just couldn't have helped but speculate this after perusing Jon J's post above.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all this that much is the importance of Washington winning out until the championship game, if they do, then that win over UW is as impressive as any other in the country, it sort of negates I think a Georgia birth in the playoff if they lose to Bama, same thing for either tOSU or Michigan depending on who wins that game. 

Finishing strong is usually extremely important in the eyes of the committee, if you look impressive at the end you can much more easily survive a loss from early in the season.  I get the feeling that Oregon as long as they continue to look impressive in their wins they'll get in regardless of what happens, it probably helps actually that we are going to be a part of the B10 next season that we already are probably getting a bit of a buff to our perception already.  

We're already considered the strongest 1 loss team, I think if we continue to win it's going to hard to have a team lose and stay ahead of us.  I think the narrative will become for Michigan and Georgia will be that they lost the one game that matters if they lose to tOSU or Bama, like they haven't played anyone of consequence other than those teams. 

I don't think anybody really puts any stock into Penn St. or Tennessee, they aren't bad teams, but I don't think anyone see them as better than Utah or Oregon St.

The one team that I think could put a wrench into Oregon getting in is Texas, if they avenge the OU loss, then along with the Bama win, plus it being Texas could maybe knock us down, especially if they look impressive in their win over OU.  This is why as much as it pains me to say it, I'm hoping UW wins out until they play us, I'm that confident that we'll beat them in Vegas if we continue on the track we are on right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/3/2023 at 6:24 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Yep, this year would certainly be an interesting 12-team playoff if only it had come to pass. I can't remember a year in recent memory when that would have been true. 

There has been rather sharp criticism of the upcoming 12 team playoff from some quarters of the sports media. A lot of it valid as in years past the top four teams (in spite of the SEC bias) have usually had one or two teams that were head and shoulders above the rest. An expanded field wouldn't have altered the outcome. 2023 is different. 

This year there appears to be more parity, without one team, like the 2019 LSU Tigers or 2022 UGA Dawgs, that looked destined to win it all. It is possible that an elite one loss team like Oregon could be left out of the current four team mix. SEC and B1G bias could select a one loss Alabama, Georgia (in the unlikely event that they lose to Bama in the SEC CG), Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan or tOSU over the Ducks.

Oregon can only control what they do on the field. Continue to win and run the table through the Pac-12 CG.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's certainly nice to hear the pundits recognize Oregon but they'll jump ship the instant any little glitch comes along - like a close win over Cal, ASU or OSU.  They're that fickle.  They'll be expecting a win over each of them like the one over Utah.

A close win over USC wouldn't shake them too much, they've already wasted a lot of "street cred" on propping USC up for 9 weeks and won't want to admit they were wrong.  So Oregon has a bit of lee-way with the Trojans - as long as it's a win.

Funny, tho.  The closest game I see ahead is the Civil War where even a 1 point win would tickle me, as long as O is up in the score column. The same pundits aren't as willing to admit the Beavers are a good team too and any win over them is a good one.

GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 1

IMO there is absolutely no way that a 1loss Oregon doesn’t make the Playoff!!!  If that happens I will not give this Playoff any validation and the champ will unfortunately have an asterisk.  That ain’t happening though!

I agree with Kirk, Oregon is a very dangerous team.  I really want to see a UGA vs Oregon playoff game, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about playing the Ducks.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, SoGaDawg said:

IMO there is absolutely no way that a 1loss Oregon doesn’t make the Playoff!!!  If that happens I will not give this Playoff any validation and the champ will unfortunately have an asterisk.  That ain’t happening though!

I agree with Kirk, Oregon is a very dangerous team.  I really want to see a UGA vs Oregon playoff game, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about playing the Ducks.  

You go you hairy Dawgs! I think a ranked Mizzou coming to Athens like a ranked Kentucky is going to find it tough going 'Tween the Hedges.

I want FSU in a Rose Bowl playoff redux and a champ game vs. the Dawgs in Houston.

Quack and Woof!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You go you hairy Dawgs! I think a ranked Mizzou coming to Athens like a ranked Kentucky is going to find it tough going 'Tween the Hedges.

I want FSU in a Rose Bowl playoff redux and a champ game vs. the Dawgs in Houston.

Quack and Woof!

My old sub mate lives in Union Mo and is a huge Tigers fan.  He roots for the Ducks and I root for the Tigers.  I can't think they have much of a chance tomorrow but they are -15.5 vs -24.5 like the Cal Bears.  Always a punchers chance.  Maybe Georgia will overlook them?

• Thumbs Up 1

I, too, hope to see a Dawgs-Ducks game in the playoffs. Honesty compels me to say that I think that a relatively healthy Dawgs win such a matchup, but it would not totally shock me should the Ducks prevail.

As I've said before on this forum, I'd be in somewhat of a win-win situation were it Dawgs versus the Ducks. That is, I would still be gratified if my second favorite team won the game and claimed a natty. Far better that in my opinion than a Michigan, Ohio State, or whomever else winning it all. 

So, Go Dawgs...and Ducks!!

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Big 12 could eliminate itself this weekend. Kansas State has the ability to knockoff Texas. Oklahoma State has made a nice comeback from 2-2 and getting beat by South Alabama 38-6. They have won four in a row, this is also the last Bedlam game for the foreseeable future.  So watch out for the Cowboys to knock off the Sooners.

LSU could eliminate Alabama. Georgia has a tough game against Missouri, but they are the one team that could most easily absorb a loss. As long as they win out. Florida State likely only has Louisville standing in their way. Ohio State and Michigan will fight it out for a spot. That leaves one spot. Washington wins out and they're in. Oregon wins out and they're in.  My guess is Oregon takes the rematch in Vegas.

Oregon made the first ever four team playoff. They'll make the last four team playoff.  Florida State and Ohio State also made the first ever four team playoff. If Alabama wins out..... Well you know. 

In short I agree with Herbstreit. This is the best Oregon team since 2010. Finish the job and go into your new future with your first ever National Championship!!! I'll be rooting for you against the sign stealers, the bucknuts, or our two biggest rivals. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 1:20 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I, too, hope to see a Dawgs-Ducks game in the playoffs. Honesty compels me to say that I think that a relatively healthy Dawgs win such a matchup, but it would not totally shock me should the Ducks prevail.

As I've said before on this forum, I'd be in somewhat of a win-win situation were it Dawgs versus the Ducks. That is, I would still be gratified if my second favorite team won the game and claimed a natty. Far better that in my opinion than a Michigan, Ohio State, or whomever else winning it all. 

So, Go Dawgs...and Ducks!!

I feel much the same way.  The Ducks are my #2.  Of course I am compelled to pull for the Dawgs, but admit that a Ducks victory would be bittersweet.  I’d love to see the game happen though.  

Also, I gotta say that I hope Nix wins the heisman.  I think he has a great shot at it if he can stay healthy.🤞

Also, as always Go Dawgs and Go Ducks!!!

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1