FishDuck Article

Ducks Turn a Bizarre Saturday Into a Blowout

It very nearly rained during the first half in Autzen Stadium on Saturday. Bo Nix threw an interception on the first play of the game, Oregon then forced two turnovers of their own, the special teams blocked a field goal and returned it for a touchdown, only to have it called back for an offsides penalty and a sideline interference call. The ...

FISHDUCK.COM

It very nearly rained during the first half in Autzen Stadium on Saturday. Bo Nix threw an interception on the first play of the game...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

That was an interesting game, but, as you mentioned, the refs were in rare form. From the hitting a player on the ground call, to the missing an inbound td catch right in front of them, to the Bo 1st down, and I could go on, the refs went above and beyond the usual Pac-12 performance.

My only fear was the Ducks would let the refs and the bears keep the game close, and then they would combine for a finish like no other. That was not going to happen with Bo slinging it all over and showing amazing pocket presence, awareness.

What I hope we are seeing is Bo rising to another level where he will dismantle the trojan horse coming into town this Saturday. Although I don't think the trojans are hiding anything, and our defense is going to more than show up to throttle Williams, while Bo continues to make his Heisman case.

I do think the next two weeks will be a platform for Bo to make his case with wins and stats that will gain the needed attention to get to New York. My hope is the team makes it a mission to make sure the voters notice just how special Bo is playing right now.

Yesterday we continued to see our nemesis do just enough to maybe get to the championship game. What I find interesting is they have two tough games coming up and just might lose both. If they are a two loss team the beavs just might be creating a massive game post Thanksgiving.

I hope we play the undefeated dawgs for the final game of the Pac-12 as we know it, but I also wonder just how they will be able to win the next two games the way they are playing.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

There is a lot to unpack in this article. Its a great article. Had to have been tough to write with all the side stories played out in one game.

My thoughts on the refs is that the Ducks seem to be on the losing end of these horrendous performances by Pac-12 officials. Almost seems like dirty pool. But I am a Ducks fan so my vision could be slanted.

Maybe the Ducks are so good, make it look so easy that the refs figure there has to be cheating somewhere in there. So they just throw a flag and work it out in a group chat on the left hash.

Hitting a player on the ground? Now thats one for the ages. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

It seems that the Pac-12 officials favor the highly ranked team...unless it is Oregon.  Who dropped something in their punchbowl?

Thanks Ryan, for confirming that the game was even more strange than I thought, and it is fun to have one and not only do we bypass the loss--we win big.

I am still astounded at how much difference a great QB makes, as there will be no replacement for Bo.  We simply have to savor what he is doing during the short time left...

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sloppy game with awesome results. What a game for Bo, Heisman voters take note!!

• Go Ducks! 1

Ho Hum, next.

The ewe dub / sc refs might have done one better, no intentional grounding as the QB wasn't under duress.  So you can throw the ball away from the pocket if no one is open because you're tied of being in the pocket and eventually the D won't get to you!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Ryan you are so correct in your assessment because that first quarter was, well bizarre.

The first quarter was a combination of exciting action, loss of focus and concentration, miscues, equisite PAC referrees reaching a new low level for penalties and the Ducks perseverance to overcome! (I don't mind penalties but Bucky got hit helmut to helmut and no call,WTH)

Most games don't have that much happen in 4 quarters let alone 1 quarter.......

I asked myself, what can I take away from this game?

■ The 2023 Duck team has so much talent that they can over come their own mistakes....(Consider how many 4☆ talented players are getting virtually no playing time)

■ The best team that Oregon faces every day or week is itself.

■ That DL does not watch the scoreboard. He watches for performance and execution. 22 point halftime lead and he was not happy that they didn't perform to his standards. Impressive.......

■ Confident that DL voiced that feeling to his team at halftime and the 2nd half execution was very good.

In game adjustments! After the Ducks overcame their sloppiness and the refs to score 14 points, Cal adjusted and stopped the Duck O and moved to 14-10. Both the Duck O and D made adjustments and the Ducks built a 22 point lead. Cal made halftime adjustments, took the 2nd half kick-off and scored with ease. Then Cal forced a 3 and out (not easy to do) Both the OC and DC made adjustments...the result was a 2nd half rout.

■ DL and staff will work on that next 1% improvement all this week. The Duck players will be laser focused for the dangerous trojans.

Great teams overcome no matter what.....

Go Ducks....its all about beating the spoiled ones. Let them no there is more to come in the BIG....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:35 AM, Log Haulin said:

My thoughts on the refs is that the Ducks seem to be on the losing end of these horrendous performances by Pac-12 officials.

It started with Chip Kelly putting them in their place and calling them out on every stupid call they made. He was merciless on their incompetence. Before that I thought they were mostly fair. After that not so much when it came to OBD. Away games were bad but home games were even worse.

In spite of all those calls Chip, WT, MC, and now DL have fought through and have ended up with winning records against them. OBD will just have to endure for four more games then they'll get a fresh start in the B1G.

My 2 cents.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

What I find interesting is they have two tough games coming up and just might lose both.

All 3 of UW’s remaining games are losable.

• Let’s hope! 1

Yesterday was a glorious day despite the rain in Autzen. I was with my daughter in Death Valley in Clemson, SC watching the Tigers rebound to pounce on the Irish.

Fyi, it was in full fall color, sunny, blue skies and low 70’s. I was there with 81,500 of my closest friends.

With the timing of the games and a 12 Noon kickoff at Clemson, following the game we stopped for a quick dinner at Twin Peaks with its 50+ TV’s all airing football, and arrived home in Greenville as the Oregon game kicked off at 5:30 local time.

What a game! It had explosive plays, takeaway's, amazing catches, long runs, scatback dodging runs, spills, big hits, mistakes all resulting in a statement win with many players contributing. Oh man - I love Ducks football Saturdays.

It doesn’t get any better and I’ll take memories of yesterday to my grave.

The weekend two years ago in Columbus with the win in the Horseshoe at The Ohio State University, also spent with my daughter, comes in a close second to yesterday.

Edited by Notalot
  • Cool 2
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:56 AM, Notalot said:

Fyi, it was in full fall color, sunny, blue skies and low 70’s. I was there with 81,500 of my closest friends.

Nothing beats a Saturday in the fall!

• Thumbs Up 1