Dr Hilarius

Execution vs Production—Lanning’s Secret

From DL’s presser today:

Q: How much buy-in did you have to get from your defensive line to rotate this often and have players not gain maybe as much attention?

Lanning: "I disagree. You're talking about them right now, right? People are talking about what these guys are doing.

It's not really about production. It's never really about production.

You got to look at the first round of the draft, you're gonna see seven edge guys drafted, and tell me, how many of those guys actually have double-digit sacks?

I think there was one last year in Will Anderson.

It's not about production, it's about execution. It's about the film you put on tape. Our guys realize that.

What a brilliant pitch! Be a Duck and learn your craft, prepare for the NFL, and win without destroying your body.

Of course this only works if you’re actually witnessing skill and development on the field, which we’re seeing in spades.

And DL and crew can point to how few injuries we’ve suffered this year as a major differentiator.

As a former athlete, this is exactly how I wanted to work—compete against the best in practice and win against the best in games.

The “backups” when they’re fresh should be better than the “starters” when they’re tired.

Everyone gets to execute at the highest level, and no one cares about individual stats.

• Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 6
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Plus, after what Dan did at/with Georgia, his defensive players will now always get a good look from the pros.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

More evidence from On3.com:

“Another dominant performance by the DL, led by Dorlus and company. Dorlus was again unblockable against SC, causing havoc in the interior all game long. You’ve seen multiple NFL scouts note the dominance of the entire line, specifically the depth and waves in which the rush is coming.”

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/15/2023 at 7:45 PM, Steven A said:

Plus, after what Dan did at/with Georgia, his defensive players will now always get a good look from the pros.

Great take! Now the rubber has to meet the road with more Ducks guys going NFL.

It will happen and rightly or wrongly, is more likely to happen as a member of the B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Fantastic post/thread-thanks for the D-Line info!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

DL always drops a nugget or two mixed in with the 'coachspeak' during those Wednesday press conferences. They're usually in response to a particularly good question or to a bad one he has to take issue with. The quote from him in the thread title was the nugget. 

KT was such a fantastic DE/Edge for the Ducks, and now emerging in the NFL, not because he was always on the field. It's when he was out there he usually had an impact. The current approach at Oregon emphasizes depth and limiting reps to situations of maximum impact.

The DBs play more reps but aren't getting beat up every play like the down six are. You look at their snap counts and they are almost always a third less than the DBs. You make Dorlus and Rogers play every down and they won't be as effective. Tuioti, Matayo and Purchase as freshmen don't take that many snaps, but man you really notice them when they are in and make a play. 

That is what DL is selling to recruits and to his players in the D-line and LB rooms. What recruit wouldn't want a piece of that after watching Tuioti's center delay blitz from the edge that slobberknock sacked Caleb Williams last Saturday? It only takes one of those to light up a highlight reel. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mentioned this before the USC game. I thought this was the biggest key to the game. 

Teams like UW, USC, Utah and UofO (prior to this year) were exhausted this time of year. While teams like UGA, Bama, tOSU were getting stronger. 

If Ducks make the CFP they will be able to hang with the big boys because they have built the team in the same way. 

The lack of injuries is not an accident. If UO can get into the CFP they will be mostly healthy and ready to compete against anyone.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

In all my years of watching Oregon football, I have never seen a rotation or substitution pattern like this at Oregon before. Part of it is, the strategy is unfamiliar with us out here in the west, but the other, is simply we did not have the recruited depth to make it work.

It is amazing… 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 10:03 AM, Charles Fischer said:

In all my years of watching Oregon football, I have never seen a rotation or substitution pattern like this at Oregon before. Part of it is, the strategy is unfamiliar with us out here in the west, but the other, is simply we did not have the recruited depth to make it work.

It is amazing

💯

My thoughts exactly.

On 11/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

The “backups” when they’re fresh should be better than the “starters” when they’re tired.

¡¡THAT!!

• Like 1