Just Ducky

Very Alarming Stat

Since the game with WSU the penalty discrepancy for the Ducks is extremely alarming.

277 yards of penalties on the Ducks. 92 yards per game.

93 yards of penalties on our opponents. 31 yards per game.

My math says that’s 3 times as many penalty yards per game. 2 of these games were at Autzen. Unacceptable in my mind.

IMO that is a very depressing stat and one that will cost us a game if it continues and what kept usuc in the game or it would of been a blow out.

What do you all think?

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Correct. The need to "clean up" the penalties will be essential against the Beavers and Dawgs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, Just Ducky said:

What do you all think?

What I think is this is one thing that keeps a 'good' team from being 'great'.  I also think this is what keeps inferior teams in the game and makes every win harder than it should be.

I also question team discipline.  But that's risky because a lot of the penalties have nothing to do with discipline but referee calls.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really disconcerting. Penalties that keep us from scoring TDs means a farther field goal, which brings up another problem we are having right now.

These two issues don't go well together and could cost a game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Surprisingly, there is no correlation between penalty yards per game and losses.  

That said, an untimely penalty can give the opposing team a first down or prevent your team from getting a first down (or scoring a TD in the redbone). I guess this would only matter in a critical situation in a close game (i.e., against two evenly matched teams). 

It kept USC in the game and made the margin closer than the game really was. 

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

College football teams who accrue more penalties and rack up that negative yardage are thought to...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think there is also some stuff that is getting flag that shouldn't be. There does seem to be a greater willingness to flag bigger guys when they play against smaller guys and we've had a lot of that this year. 

Also a lot of ticky tacky non sense at times against the ducks. I mean we had a complete phantom PI call on a fourth down last week. The defender did absolutely nothing wrong and was making a play on the ball and wasn't holding but was flagged. 

That penalty wouldn't have been called in a other conference. 

I think there is a little bit of SEC coaching physicality going on at Oregon that results in Pac-12 refs throwing flags that shouldn't be in any other conference. 

Now stuff like false starts need to be cleaned up those are universal in how bad they are. 

Holding on the offensive line can be cleaned up a bit but the problem is I keep seeing defensive linemen get away with holds and at a certain point it's difficult not to get in a grappling match. This is something like big v small and the small guy gets away with it where the big guy doesn't. 

I didn't play basketball at any significant level beyond recreational and at just about 6ft I would go against guys 6.5ish at times, my team was really really short, and I could get away with a ton against those bigger guys. Same holds true at higher levels where smaller guys can get away with more. 

Why doesn't this seem to happen in the SEV or Big Ten? It does... But those linemen tend to be a bit bigger even if they aren't the 4 or 5 star guys. Less kitty is taken in them I suppose. And/or the refs are just better trained. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I remember an old article that found only mild correlation between number of penalties and team success. The reason for the lack of correlation is that some teams players simply play closer to the fine line between a penalty and a legal play, and all the times they don't get called improve the chance for success that offsets the affect of the times they do get called.

This obviously only applies to some type of penalties (PI and holding come to mind) and not others (like false starts and dead ball fouls).

• Thumbs Up 1

Also... Remember this apparently ISN'T holding or pass interference!

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, David Marsh said:

Also... Remember this apparently ISN'T holding or pass interference!

If Oregon would have converted one of its 3 fourth down attempts, especially the last one, we would have likely won the game. Penalties did not cost the Ducks that game. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, OregonDucks said:

If Oregon would have converted one of its 3 fourth down attempts, especially the last one, we would have likely won the game. Penalties did not cost the Ducks that game. 

This was ASU v Washington. 

This lack of a flag meant that the next play was a bad pass on a 4th down and was Washington's pick 6 which won them the game. 

This lack of flag absolutely lost ASU the game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

About 10% are from our kicker, although I don't have an exact stat. I will say there is no reason to give away field position, and that needs to stop as we head into tougher games.

My problem is the pressure, and impact of these mistakes will only get greater.

I say give our freshman kicker a shot at ASU and see how he does for a whole game. I realize the 5*'s kickers get are basically meaningless, but the stats on Lewis aren't meaningless.

If he struggles against ASU that could become an extremely impactful, mistake prone element of our team.  

On 11/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, Just Ducky said:

Since the game with WSU the penalty discrepancy for the Ducks is extremely alarming.

277 yards of penalties on the Ducks. 92 yards per game.

93 yards of penalties on our opponents. 31 yards per game.

My math says that’s 3 times as many penalty yards per game. 2 of these games were at Autzen. Unacceptable in my mind.

IMO that is a very depressing stat and one that will cost us a game if it continues and what kept usuc in the game or it would of been a blow out.

What do you all think?

I think it stinks……

The number of penalties against Oregon this season is alarming. It really comes down to discipline and focus. Coach Lanning continues to say that it will be addressed, but it continues to be an issue.

The poor calls by officials are one thing, but most of Oregon’s penalties are in the indisputable category, such as false starts, illegal formation, and ineligible receiver down field. Oregon talks a lot about aiming to play a complete game, and eliminating unnecessary penalties plays a huge role towards meeting those ends. 

Lanning and his coaching staff have done such an amazing job in so many areas that it’s surprising to me, given that we know it’s a focus, that excess penalties continue to plague the Ducks. I’m hoping that they get a handle on it before it bites them in the tail feathers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, latracey said:

The number of penalties against Oregon this season is alarming. It really comes down to discipline and focus. Coach Lanning continues to say that it will be addressed, but it continues to be an issue.

It seems to go in waves. Oregon had a good few games where penalties weren't that high and then we get some games where we get loads. 

It just needs to be more consistent. 

Anyone remember the Dennis Erickson Beav teams? The year they played ND in the Fiesta bowl and creamed ND they were known for getting a lot of penalties. 18 for 174 yards. It was just their style. Not saying it was good but playing on the edge penalty wise can have benefits. 

Would Oregon be as good on D if they let up and weren't as aggressive? As frustrating as the penalty situation is the Ducks have only lost one game so far and most would attribute that to not trying field goals on 4th and 1.

While I don't like the stupid false start stuff or the occasional PI call (Right or wrong) I can live with it if they keep winning.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was told this issue has been more than emphasized and discussed this week in practice.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, OregonDucks said:

That one played a part for sure. Would have been 6. 

I gotta say that I think officials in all conferences have been attending road work flagging courses because they are flagging everything!!!  😂

Obviously, I am being funny (or trying to).  The penalties that I care about are the pre-snap penalties that should NOT happen...way to many false starts in our own stadium in my opinion.

Holding and PI, unless blatantly obvious are just a result of play.  I've seen some PI calls that was such good coverage that the ref must not have thought it was impossible for the coverage to be so good and I've seen holding calls that were phantom.

Multiple holding calls on a single player are a source of concern as well and I hope that the coaching staff is nipping that.

Spinning a ball on the turf...well, whatever.  

Edited by Ktmguy2018

I'm told by some friends that officiate at the HS level that the Pac-12 Refs are well known for 2 things: Inconsistency in calling penalties and a proclivity to interject themselves into the game.  I don't know if any of this is true, though I have friends that swear by it.  It's even more of a problem on the Basketball court.

I do know this, it seems to happen to Oregon at the most inconvenient times.  With the exception of Pass Interference calls, which can save a TD from being scored against your team with just a 15 yard penalty instead, penalties can be devastating and can certainly affect the outcome of any close game.

They have to be brought under control - somehow.  I'm sure Dan Lanning understands this.