FishDuck Article

Nix for Heisman, USC Stinks, and the Canning of Kelly

It is amazing what a change of scenery has done for Bo Nix—but more than that, what the superior coaching he has received at Oregon has done. The offensive scheme they ran at Auburn did not maximize his talent, and the train wreck that has become Auburn football continues to fly off the tracks. Before the 2022 season, I wrote ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com offers this week’s takes in the world of Oregon football.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article by Darren.  

I never thought about Chip Kelly ever moving down to some lower Division school but really, Perkins might be right.  If teaching and having players hungry to learn is Kelly's forte (certainly the opposite of the NFL or prima donna collegiate athletes who've been coddled all their careers) might be an excellent choice for him.  It's likely he doesn't need the money any longer, he probably has a lot already and is set for life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imo, what makes Nix Heisman worthy in his immeasurables. His ability to sieze complete control of the game because of football and QB IQ. Nix could very well be the most intelligent college QB in history.

Nix's measurable stats are impressive. He doesn't throw the ball or use his legs as much as others. But he is deadly when he does. His long ball isn't the greatest, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he seems to make those plays at an elite level when you look at results. Having Tez and Troy is helpful. 

Nix isn't as much of a run threat as he was in the past. Obviously this is by design. His run game isn't really needed. I like the way Bo's running is used early, one or two plays, as a reminder to the D that he can hurt them with his legs. 

Jayden Daniels will probably win the trophy. I don't think I can argue with it if he does. Dudes a dog. His passing and rushing numbers are crazy. 

LSU isn't an elite team though, they are playing for pride at this point. Ducks are in position to play for the crown. It would be cool if Nix won it, he is deserving.

But Nix plays the game with a bigger purpose.  He wants a championship. That requires him to not play Superman. Bo just needs to stay in his lane and do his part at an elite level. Be the leader for sure but also just be a player amongst players and the Ducks should have a good shot at their goals.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed Bo's arm seems to have gotten stronger this year? His accuracy and arm strength seems to be more on target with the long ball.

• Applause 2

Great takes, Darren. 

While Bo getting more yards carrying the ball might have looked better to Heisman voters, his ownership and leadership of Stein's offense has resulted in the juggernaut we are witnessing this year. While I admire Daniels's video game numbers that may very well hand the award to him, he will get killed in the NFL if he tries to play that way. 

Thankfully Oregon wasn't in the running for the U$C vanity coach lottery that took Riley to La La Land. All the pundits gave the Spoiled Children an A+ for the Riley hire and the Ducks a B- for Lanning. Doesn't look so great for the Trojenz through the retrospectoscope.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, Mic said:

Good article by Darren.  

I never thought about Chip Kelly ever moving down to some lower Division school but really, Perkins might be right.  If teaching and having players hungry to learn is Kelly's forte (certainly the opposite of the NFL or prima donna collegiate athletes who've been coddled all their careers) might be an excellent choice for him.  It's likely he doesn't need the money any longer, he probably has a lot already and is set for life.

Yeah, he's made his money, started out at the smaller schools back in the day, this could be his "going home" time in his career. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nix is such a great story. He has endeared himself to Oregon fans with his play on the field. 

USC failing to be relevant…once again…is the gift that keeps on giving.

Chip packed his bags and chased his dream of coaching in the NFL. After his NFL stint UCLA quickly found out that recruiting is not one of his strengths.

Good memories of Chip while he was at Oregon, but that ship sailed long ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:14 AM, Log Haulin said:

Imo, what makes Nix Heisman worthy in his immeasurables. His ability to sieze complete control of the game because of football and QB IQ. Nix could very well be the most intelligent college QB in history.

Nix's measurable stats are impressive. He doesn't throw the ball or use his legs as much as others. But he is deadly when he does. His long ball isn't the greatest, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he seems to make those plays at an elite level when you look at results. Having Tez and Troy is helpful. 

Nix isn't as much of a run threat as he was in the past. Obviously this is by design. His run game isn't really needed. I like the way Bo's running is used early, one or two plays, as a reminder to the D that he can hurt them with his legs. 

Jayden Daniels will probably win the trophy. I don't think I can argue with it if he does. Dudes a dog. His passing and rushing numbers are crazy. 

LSU isn't an elite team though, they are playing for pride at this point. Ducks are in position to play for the crown. It would be cool if Nix won it, he is deserving.

But Nix plays the game with a bigger purpose.  He wants a championship. That requires him to not play Superman. Bo just needs to stay in his lane and do his part at an elite level. Be the leader for sure but also just be a player amongst players and the Ducks should have a good shot at their goals.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed Bo's arm seems to have gotten stronger this year? His accuracy and arm strength seems to be more on target with the long ball.

Nice points. I think Nix has a great chance to be a good pro player. Has the intangibles, smart, can use his legs when needed. We'll see.....

On 11/23/2023 at 9:15 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Great takes, Darren. 

While Bo getting more yards carrying the ball might have looked better to Heisman voters, his ownership and leadership of Stein's offense has resulted in the juggernaut we are witnessing this year. While I admire Daniels's video game numbers that may very well hand the award to him, he will get killed in the NFL if he tries to play that way. 

Thankfully Oregon wasn't in the running for the U$C vanity coach lottery that took Riley to La La Land. All the pundits gave the Spoiled Children an A+ for the Riley hire and the Ducks a B- for Lanning. Doesn't look so great for the Trojenz through the retrospectoscope.

Yeah, running qb's, to me with rare excepton, are a sign of a team with holes in it. Yup, Riles is exposed, he'd probably be better off in the NFL, really. 

It's annoying but I think there's a good chance he does. They left him in against Georgia State a G5 school in a blowout win last week to inflate his stats. 

Nix sat out almost an entire half of a game against ASU who isn't very good but they'd a have a few more wins if they played a G5 schedule. 

Nix will have a chance to make a big statement win this Friday because OSU is better than TAMU by a long shot. 

And the ballots for Heisman aren't due until after championship weekend which will give Nix another shot to make a statement. However, if Heisman voters turn their ballots in early that game won't matter to them. 

Also... Why can they turn ballots in before championship weekend????? That feels ridiculous, it make sense to do the award before bowl season but there are still 5 mostly high profile power 5 games left in championship weekend that most Heisman candidates are in. 

His run game isn't really needed. I like the way Bo's running is used early, one or two plays, as a reminder to the D that he can hurt them with his legs. 

This is what I wanted going into this year.  Reading so many people who wanted him to actually run often--brought back PTSD of Oregon football after his injury last year.

Darren...THANKS for listing the yards passing and running.  It goes to show that Will Stein has really created something special, and has tapped Bo Nix's passing skills, upped his game, and thus made him more attractive to the NFL.  Everyone wins!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, David Marsh said:

It's annoying but I think there's a good chance he does. They left him in against Georgia State a G5 school in a blowout win last week to inflate his stats. 

I think Lanning is going to be challenged with the urge to let Bo pad his stats going forward. However, the odds of blowing up OSU and hopefully a chance to blow up UW is slim. Thats strong competition and a blowout is unlikely. 

But given the chance, I hope Lanning continues to sit Bo. Lanning thinks Bo is the best QB in the country, Lanning is massively competitive and with that comes pride and ego. 

Risk reward margins are thin. Lanning seems to be able to keep ego in check mostly. But how tempting will it be?

If it were me,   I would probably let Bo pad stats. But I make stupid choices often and let emotion and ego trip me up. 

I hope that "someone" is in Lannings ear so many called for after the Husky game. He is going to need it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is what I wanted going into this year.  Reading so many people who wanted him to actually run often--brought back PTSD of Oregon football after his injury last year.

Darren...THANKS for listing the yards passing and running.  It goes to show that Will Stein has really created something special, and has tapped Bo Nix's passing skills, upped his game, and thus made him more attractive to the NFL.  Everyone wins!

Yeah, some college qb's are built like running backs and can pull it off. Usually, the type that will not make it in the NFL. It's a college thing and they are a great college player, like Tebow. But, the Herbert's and Nix's of the world should run very seldomly. 

Good article Darren, as usual.

Keep Bo reigned in until needed.

Unleash him in playoffs like Herbert in Rose Bowl.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1