Rougaroux

The Heisman and Mr. Perkins' Editorial

Dear Friends:

I read the editorial 'Bo Nix for Heisman". I'm an LSU grad, but fully recognize and appreciate the phenomenal season Bo Nix is having. If both he and Daniels finish strong and Nix wins, I'll be highly disappointed but can't objectively complain  about the result. 

However, I take issue with Mr. Perkins stating that quarterbacks should pass and running backs should run. Where is this rule written? Nowhere. That philosophy went out of the door decades ago. Voters for Manziel, RGIII, Cam Newton, among others, would disagree. Burrow even ran the ball effectively.

Even if this were the standard, Daniels has more total yards, TDs, yards per completion, and a higher QBR than Nix. To his credit, Mr. Perkins didn't bring up our three losses, as the Heisman is an individual award and many players (including Paul Hornung on a 2-8 Irish team) would have been deprived of outstanding seasons.

That said, may the best man win, good luck in the Civil War, and Geaux Tigers! (Still in the Coach O voice! 🤣)

• Thumbs Up 1

IMHO I think:

Penix is the best passer.

Williams is the best Mahomes impersonator.

Daniels has the best combined stats due to the lack of running game.

And Nix is the best all round QB.

Geaux Ducks

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, Rougaroux said:

Even if this were the standard, Daniels has more total yards, TDs, yards per completion, and a higher QBR than Nix

Oregon and LSU are in completely different situation. LSU is playing for pride and the Ducks are playing for a chance at the post season CFP.

Nix has been used strategically to withstand a long grueling season. His rushing has been almost completely shut down and he has played 2/3 the minutes Daniels has.

The way coach Lanning has managed his team and Nix specifically has been intentional. And as a result the team is healthy and fresh across the board.

I challenge that if Nix used his legs more, his numbers would be untouchable in both passing and rushing. A running Bo Nix changes everything.

But here we are with a healthy team and a QB starting to peak just at the right time. I will take where this team is at over the Heisman any day. 

JD is a great player and fun to watch. If he wins the Heisman it is well deserved. I will applaud him.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

However, I take issue with Mr. Perkins stating that quarterbacks should pass and running backs should run. Where is this rule written? Nowhere. That philosophy went out of the door decades ago. Voters for Manziel, RGIII, Cam Newton, among others, would disagree. Burrow even ran the ball effectively.

Good post Rougaroux! Welcome to the forum.

I gotta say that I don't think that Mr. Perkins is saying that QBs should NEVER run. The general consensus here is that the QB should run SOME.

Ever since Chip Kelly was the OC at Oregon, the offense here has had a running QB... except under MC (who, we are all thankful today, is coaching somewhere else). He has to have enough run plays in a game to force the opposing defense to account for the possibility.

Another thing we have experienced here at Oregon is that, since Marcus Mariota's redshirt freshman year, we have not had a super reliable backup at QB. We have had at least 3 QBs go down with injuries on running plays that totally changed the trajectory of the season - seasons that woulda-shoulda-coulda been playing for a championship, starting with Dennis Dixon and the last time was last year when we stopped winning after Nix went down.

How would your opinion change if Daniels had an injury that kept him out of 3 games each of the last few years?

• Thumbs Up 3

Dear Friends:

I read the editorial 'Bo Nix for Heisman". I'm an LSU grad, but fully recognize and appreciate the phenomenal season Bo Nix is having. If both he and Daniels finish strong and Nix wins, I'll be highly disappointed but can't objectively complain  about the result. 

Even if this were the standard, Daniels has more total yards, TDs, yards per completion, and a higher QBR than Nix. To his credit, Mr. Perkins didn't bring up our three losses, as the Heisman is an individual award and many players (including Paul Hornung on a 2-8 Irish team) would have been deprived of outstanding seasons.

That said, may the best man win, good luck in the Civil War, and Geaux Tigers! (Still in the Coach O voice! 🤣)

Alright!!! We're bringing in some Tigers! Thanks for chiming in. 

Sure, QBs are free to run, I was stating a matter of preference. In 2017, Willie Taggart brought in his Gulf Coast offense from South Florida ((where he had had a bowling ball of a quarterback (mediocre at best passer) who put up all kinds of impressive running numbers)) and ran Justin Herbert (a great passer as we all know) way too much until Herbert was knocked out for the season around game 6 and the Ducks, without a solid backup, were done for the season. And, we had what happened to Nix late last year on a run.

I prefer a great passing quarterback complimented with a great running game, and who like Nix, can use his feet occasionally to keep the D honest. 

Of course, not all teams have good passing QBs but guys who can run, so by all means, do what gives you the best chance to win. But, with a guy like Nix who is a good passer, don't rely on using his feet so much that he gets hurt (again, like last year). Gotta weigh the pros and cons, is running him worth the injury risk?

LSU has been fortunate Daniels has stayed healthy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Both quarterbacks are great candidates. I'm thinking we still have some time ahead of us to see how things pan out before we get into this conversation too deeply as there is still data to collect. Nix and Oregon have a final conference game tomorrow and hopefully a conference championship.  LSU has TaMU on Saturday.  Let their play the next couple of days settle the matter. 

On 11/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I prefer a great passing quarterback complimented with a great running game, and who like Nix, can use his feet occasionally to keep the D honest. 

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Last season Nix was a rather close no. 3 rusher on Oregon's roster and led try team with 15 rushing touchdowns. He was injured on a run, of which I disagree and have ranted extensively by the playcall. 

This season Nix hasn't ran as much either by design or choice or both. 

Bo Nix is my choice!

I do believe i am well qualified to chime in on this, as my wife is a huge LSU fan, and I have a daughter and son in law whom both attended LSU and live in Baton Rouge.

I grew up in Eugene. 

Both QBs are having amazing years. If Daniels had an even decent defense helping him out, he would be a clear-cut choice, IMO. However, if he had a defense to help him, would his numbers still be so high since he would not be carrying to load himself?

Bo has a defense, has playmakers, and yet still has Heisman numbers. 

Whosever name is called on the day it is awarded, will have earned it. No heartburn with either choice, but of course, I would love to see another statue at UO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:53 AM, NJDuck said:

Bo Nix is my choice!

And Bo's not even playing full games!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1