Charles Fischer

Spammer Attack-Careful! All Moderators and OBD Members....

The site is being attacked by a group in India at the moment.

I put people through the paces in the registration process, but I assume that new AI paradigms are breaking through.  I've deleted over a dozen spam posts and five different entities signing up that had to be banned in the last half-hour.  

That last sentence was at 11:30 PM last night. Since then we have had 29 Spammers penetrate and register, and consequently write dozens of spam posts that fortunately, our fantastic moderators have deleted.  Then they marked the spammer to prevent future posts. Hug a moderator!

Let me know ANYTIME that something is happening.  Usually we are being barraged by Red China, Singapore, Germany and yes...Ukraine.  (they have some evil tech bastards there)

Now it is India.  Lovely.

The price of freedom is high, and all values must be defended.

Mr. FishDuck

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Now it is up to seven sign-ups from India who are attempting to penetrate our site and turn into a spam haven.

We make NO MONEY, barely pay expenses, and yet they attack.  So much evil in the world...

Mr. FishDuck

Make that 24 who have signed up to spam...never had an attack like this.

• Oh no! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Keep up the good fight and thank you for all you do!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This stuff cost time and money. Hope everyone who loves the OBDF can help Charles out here. Everything helps. Click the link. Scroll to the bottom of the page and help this community thrive.

FISHDUCK.COM

Contact FishDuck.com

• Thanks 1

Sad there are clowns out there that would hack a site dedicated to one topic UO sports. It’s not like they’re going to make money pushing their products like social media sites.

Just took out about 12 posts and banned 5 spammers, hope this helped.

If you don't flag them as spammers, the shots just keep coming!

• Thanks 1

I don't suppose some of these jerks in India might actually be Duck fans?  No, not likely.  Thanks for what you do Charles to keep this site alive and working so well.  I'll certainly help out a bit.

Hack the hackers (one of my utube favs).  I just purchased a great extended auto warranty. There’s a huge discount if I can sell a couple of policy’s- anyone interested? 😀

• Haha 2

Temporarily suspend the new sign up part of the site? 

Sucks for those who want to sign up as true duck fans but a pause could break the cycle. 

It used to be that with a trick question that only a true Oregon fan would know--would prevent the 'bots and spammers.  Now, with AI, they can easily answer the questions in registration. Since 11:30 PM last night we have had 29 Spammers penetrate and register, and consequently write dozens of spam posts that fortunately, our fantastic moderators have deleted.  Then they marked the spammer to prevent future posts. Hug a moderator!

I just spent time brainstorming with the web developer in England about this, and the result is going to be a new registration process beginning Monday.  There will no longer be a short-form signup, but a long form where they have to tell me their story as an Oregon fan, details about their past, etc.

I would also now personally have to approve every new membership.  Since we grow slowly--I have resigned myself to this extra hassle-option to stop the spammers with AI.  They can still fool me, but I will catch most.  As if there was not enough time and work associated with this hobby....sheesh.

And thank goodness we have Moderators who shut off the Spammers when I am not around!

Thanks to Moderators!

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck