Charles Fischer

Ashamed of Your Ugly Fan Transformation?

I am a little ashamed, but not enough to change the path!

I am referring to how I grew up a Beaver fan, went to Oregon and then cheered for both except for Civil War.  Now, with the Grand Theft that Oregon State is trying to pull-off, (see article below from Monday) I will admit to becoming a pretty ugly fan over it.  

They want our 35 million for this year that WE EARNED in media revenues.  Let me guess...if we get into the Playoff--they will want ALL THAT money too?  They have been massively overpaid for decades relative to their value to the conference, and they want to steal us blind?

You know, I could see them taking future revenues since they are still in the conference. But this year's payouts?

Yesterday was beyond joyous for me.

We beat them soundly like the Mountain-West team that they are, and if they succeed in stealing a year of media revenue from Oregon? I never want any Oregon sport to play them again as stealing should not be rewarded.

As you can tell, my feelings for the Beavers have moved into the "Husky" zone, as this travesty should not be allowed to occur.

FISHDUCK.COM

I am sick of the pretentious articles by John Canzano and other writers who portray the Beavers as the aggrieved party in the Pac-12 dissolution…

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

But Charles……..

What about the children?

Don’t you think a strong OAC helps the Ducks?  The state?  We all had friends that went to OAC. They deserve better.

boo hoo boo hoo

It is past the time that these light-weight snowflake Duck fans grow a pair, put on their glasses, and look around. 

OAC is a leach. They are not a rival or some kind of partner/brother. They are a weight around our neck. 

We have one rival. To be a rival one must have respect for them. Anybody not respect our opponent this coming week?

I hope not. At least they are taking the fight legally to the Pac2

I was born with a distaste for Corvallis and anything to do with Oregon State. 4 generations of Ducks and never, I mean never has anyone gone to Corvallis.

I have no problem going low. At the same time if I was at a poker table and everyone walked away and left the pot in the middle, I would claim it.

Now if the legal system rules our way then great. I don't fault the beavs for trying to claim the money, but have little understanding of the legal underpinnings.  I would hope the Athletic Departments legal team took care of this at the time of the departure.

I also hate all the whining coming from Corvallis, but that has been happening for a long time. If there is a pathetic excuse that hasn't been used by the beavs I don't want to hear it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

I was born with a distaste for Corvallis and anything to do with Oregon State. 4 generations of Ducks and never, I mean never has anyone gone to Corvallis.

I have no problem going low. At the same time if I was at a poker table and everyone walked away and left the pot in the middle, I would claim it.

Now if the legal system rules our way then great. I don't fault the beavs for trying to claim the money, but have little understanding of the legal underpinnings.  I would hope the Athletic Departments legal team took care of this at the time of the departure.

I also hate all the whining coming from Corvallis, but that has been happening for a long time. If there is a pathetic excuse that hasn't been used by the beavs I don't want to hear it.

If the contracts were written in such a way that by us voluntarily leaving the conference we give up certain revenues then so be it.

Let's let our lawyers compete with their lawyers to discover the truth though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not very bright but isn't it still the PAC 12 until next summer?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:28 AM, savagefund said:

I am not very bright but isn't it still the PAC 12 until next summer?

The debate right now is about who controls the board. When USC and UCLA declared their leaving they lost their voting rights on the board. Same happened when Colorado declared they were leaving. 

So OSU and WSU are saying they are the only two members on the board with voting rights based on what has happened before. While everyone else is saying... that was before everyone else opted to leave the conference and everyone is a full member of the conference until the summer. 

The lawsuit about control initially went the way of OSU and WSU but it is going to an appeals court and the court has put a pause on the previous ruling. So we'll have to wait and see how these things work out. 

In short.. OSU and WSU want every dime they possibly can get. There are lots of revenues that will be distributed throughout the year as teams that make the playoff, significant bowl games, or the college basketball tournaments and so forth generate revenue that is split across the conference. OSU and WSU say they should get all those that are left over in the conference. 

Everyone else says that those should be evenly distributed and all other major assesses liquidated and those revenues distributed as well (such as the Pac-12 network). 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:48 AM, David Marsh said:

The debate right now is about who controls the board. When USC and UCLA declared their leaving they lost their voting rights on the board. Same happened when Colorado declared they were leaving. 

So OSU and WSU are saying they are the only two members on the board with voting rights based on what has happened before. While everyone else is saying... that was before everyone else opted to leave the conference and everyone is a full member of the conference until the summer. 

The lawsuit about control initially went the way of OSU and WSU but it is going to an appeals court and the court has put a pause on the previous ruling. So we'll have to wait and see how these things work out. 

In short.. OSU and WSU want every dime they possibly can get. There are lots of revenues that will be distributed throughout the year as teams that make the playoff, significant bowl games, or the college basketball tournaments and so forth generate revenue that is split across the conference. OSU and WSU say they should get all those that are left over in the conference. 

Everyone else says that those should be evenly distributed and all other major assesses liquidated and those revenues distributed as well (such as the Pac-12 network). 

Still not too bright but more enlightened than I was.  Thanks

Edited by savagefund
  • Haha 1

As OSewe circles  the drain of irrelevancy it’s as almost worth paying the money for them to go away.

You and I are of the same mindset Charles! For nearly the quarter of a century Oregon has carried the torch for the Pac-12 in Football but have also contributed on the basketball court.

We have a major donor but season ticket holders have continued to buy and support the team. I have more gear from the bookstore than I can wear without looking like the little brother from a Christmas Story. I still give money to UO.

I work with more Beavis than I care to and hear all their whining. Oddly they haven't said a word all this week?? They don't "deserve" all the money that was made for the 23-24 season. They can have the divided share. They can have the media money from the Pac-12 network after this season but don't ask Ducks to feel sorry for you because your school chose to invest all the money from the last quarter century on everything but your money making sports!

I wasn't a football fan at all until Chip Kelly made it watchable for me. I was at Oregon at the time but I didn't start following until the 2009 Rose Bowl. 

Even then I didn't follow too close until 2011. 

The Kelly offense was just so much more fun to watch than any other football I'd seen before.

Then I was hooked. 

So for me I guess I was at first a bandwagon fan, at least I have the credibility of being an Oregon alum, but now I'm a die hard fan. 

I wouldn't have been all that interested in football if Cristobal was the head coach at the time I became interested. That offense was boring to watch. 

One of the big reasons why I'm so happy with Lanning is that he has brought back an explosive offense. I do still miss the blur. Watching Mariota operate the blur was incredible to behold and I'll be honest I think it was a bit more entertaining than our current offense. 

However our current offense doesn't have any of the major weaknesses the blur had and is more effective all around. So I'm by no means complaining. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oddly enough. I was born with a distinct fear of being seen in public wearing of all things, Orange and Black, in any combination.  It was likely exacerbated by working as a corrections deputy, at the county jail.

For some twisted reason, maybe I associate it with being seen in the same light as an escaped miscreant, in the legal sense.

I have no doubt that the fact my step father played for OAC, pre--WWII, and made sure I knew what a wondrous experience in developing manliness that was. (Personally, I tend to surmise that playing smash the pumpkin in the mud, with nothing in the way of protective gear, except possibly the thickness of one's own Neanderthal like skull tissue, may have negatively skewed his judgement?)

I do, however, have, and proudly don, a collection Green and Yellow of OREGON, even wearing it where other sapient entities may observe my behavior.

On the day Kenny Wheaton scored, I slid over the north side Autzen concession stand counter where I was volunteering, leaping to the top of the stadium wall, and screamed in joy, (I even released a resounding Tarzan Yell, but hey, youthful exuberance gets the best of most of us, once in a while!) potentially deafening a larg-ish contingent of the Fuskie faithful who cowered in fear at the resurgence of joy in the Oregon fan base.

The size of that travelling Fuskie fan-base has steadily dwindled since that auspicious occasion.

My Oregon Pride has not.

The PAC Is (soon to be) Dead!

LONG LIVE THE DUCKS!!!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As David Marsh clearly explained above, according the the judge in the Palouse, OS and WSU controll the Pac-12 Board of Directors, as the only two members.  I expect that decision to be upheld by the Washington court that handles the appeal.

But that's not the end of the story.  Like all members of a Board of Directors that represents others, the OS and WSU presidents have a "duty of good faith" to the other members of the conference, which the other 10 Pac-12 schools still are and continue to be until sometime in the middle of next year, July I as I recall.  Most certainly those other 10 schools will demand a distribution of the TV money before their membership expires.  When that does not happen in a timely manner, there will be another law suit, one that will be filed in San Francisco, not the Palouse.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1