Steven A

Ducks and Huskies Pursuing Cam Ward?

Reports surfaced suggesting that 10 schools are dangling name, image and likeness deals worth at least $1 million in front of the WSU quarterback, said to be considering a graduate transfer.

Among them supposedly are Auburn, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas A&M — and Washington. 

Although no way to verify.

WWW.MSN.COM

If that were to happen and he came to UO, kiss Ty goodbye! I think it’s ridiculous that schools can go out and offer a player on a team $$$. Something has to change there.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, QuackAttack said:

I think it’s ridiculous that schools can go out and offer a player on a team $$$

From my understanding that is illegal. Others teams can only contact another player once they officially enter the transfer portal. But I am sure shady things happen and nobody has been caught yet. 

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, QuackAttack said:

If that were to happen and he came to UO, kiss Ty goodbye! I think it’s ridiculous that schools can go out and offer a player on a team $$$. Something has to change there.

It's strange grey area. 

A school cannot make contact about a transfer of a player is not in the portal , as no players are officially in the portal as it isn't open yet.

A school cannot offer any NIL money as well as that comes from third parties. Schools are not allowed to coordinate with these NIL groups, but we all know this one is happening. 

There is completely the potential for collectives to contact players and "subtlety" recruit a player. 

Doesn't matter if you get caught at anything, just ask Michigan.

• Salute 2
  • Haha 1

Cam Ward would be a slam dunk and make Oregon an instant title contender again next year.  Give him the Bo Nix package!

Edited by OregonDucks

Kind of sad to me that college football is becoming the sub-NFL farm leagues where everyone is a free agent and no one enforces rules against tampering. The traditions of the game are fading fast and I can see why many are beginning to throw up their hands and walking away from college fandom (I personally know three of these guys). I wonder how long it will be before many of have-nots in Division 1 decide that they can no longer compete, financially or any other way, for talent and drop their football programs. I could hardly blame them

I mean 10 offers of 1-Million plus for QB who has won nothing makes me sick, ,even though I have admired the way Ward has handled himself between the lines. 

Sorry to rant but this is how I feel about the way the game is devolving.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Although of course I wish the best for the student athletes, something has to give - this is too much already. The innocence, fun and wholesomeness of college football has all but disappeared.

Yeah, I do feel a little bit of hypocrisy in saying this as I love watching college football as much as the next guy and want the best players on OBD roster, but it's just sad to see what the landscape is evolving into.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Although of course I wish the best for the student athletes, something has to give - this is too much already. The innocence, fun and wholesomeness of college football has all but disappeared.

Yeah, I do feel a little bit of hypocrisy in saying this as I love watching college football as much as the next guy and want the best players on OBD roster, but it's just sad to see what the landscape is evolving into.

Why do you equate the absence of money to wholesomeness, innocence and fun? If I recall correctly Millionaire Bo Nix and his wife were handing out free donuts at the dorms on the first day of class, he discusses his faith, and he's having plenty of fun on the field still.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

The innocence, fun and wholesomeness of college football has all but disappeared.

That happened in about 1985 (an arbitrary pick), if there ever was innocence and wholesomeness in college football.

• Applause 1