Steven A

Dante Moore Joins DJ in the Portal

Looks like UCLA has hit an iceberg on the way to the BIG.

So far, I think this makes four defections.  Although, you don't have to be a grad student to see this is probably a smart move.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The former five-star prospect showed his potential early but struggled against Pac-12 opposition

Lot's of talk that a successful college QB will get $1 million to $2 million in NIL money.   What's the market for Moore?  He flashed  talent but also showed he wasn't ready to start at UCLA.   He has the upside to be great.   Our staff knows him; recruited him; had him but lost him.

I think the Ducks go after him. 

Another one that (to me) is not surprising.

MSU maybe?  Could also see him at Michigan but you never know what might happen with the mess they have on their hands.  Still talk out there that Harbaugh will bolt to the NFL.

And Chip should be in the unemployment line. Chip mishandled Moore this season. Chip is now .500 in six seasons in Westwood. 

7-5 overall and 4-5 in conference in 2023 with no game vs. UW and no game vs. OREGON is Terrible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine how ready he would've have been studying under Bo for a year instead of running around developing bad habits on the field.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2023 at 1:11 PM, DuckHeart said:

I think the Ducks go after him. 

I hope not.  Just a gut feeling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Moore bailed on Oregon after we picked up Nix from the transfer portal. He now is bailing on UCLA after throwing 11 TDs and 9 INTs. With those numbers he must know that he is going to be viewed as a project.

Nobody will just hand him the job as a starter?  At least, nobody worthwhile. 

The jump from high school to national prominence as UCLA’s starting QB was always going to be a huge stretch. He should have done a little more research on UCLA’s returning roster.

I can’t say that I am overly impressed with decisions he has made on, or off the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt Moore gets picked up by Oregon unless TT enters portal (he should). But even then I doubt Oregon wants him. 

TT is a better QB and Smith Jr will show up in 25'  class. If TT stays and starts, thats 2 years of eligibility. Moore won't sit that long even with a redshirt year.

Agree with Haulin that Moore hasn't shown that he's a clear upgrade over T. Thompson. I watched a lot of his games at UCLA and the two appear to have similar skill sets (albeit from a limited sample size). Both are tall, rangy and possess above average arm talent. And though both are capable of moving, they are long striders and it takes them a few steps to get up to speed.

Chip is usually pretty good with young QB's and his system is quarterback friendly. The fact that Moore regressed as the season went on is not a good sign. Though UCLA's line was a sieve, Moore didn't help matters by consistently holding the ball for too long and his lack of overall pocket presence. His first series against Cal illustrated the point. He stood flatfooted like a statue for probably 5 seconds ... virtually no body movement at all ... before getting absolutely lit up by Cal's defensive end and fumbling. Not pretty to watch.

I think the Ducks can do better in the portal, especially given the strength of their O-line, and the explosiveness of their offensive system under Lanning and Stein. I especially like Ward from WSU, though one and done's are not optimal and I think he only has one year of eligibility remaining. Interesting how narratives change in a year. Moore may be the classic case of 'having being no so great as wanting'.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like DJU, I'd pass.  We can get, or already have, better

On 11/30/2023 at 3:29 PM, Drake said:

Moore bailed on Oregon after we picked up Nix from the transfer portal.

Moore decommitted from Oregon right around the time that Bo Nix announced he would be returning for his final year at Oregon. 

Rumor is that Moore wanted to play right away and UCLA offered a significant NIL deal for him. UCLA joining the B1G also played a part, as he is from Michigan. 

Moore is talented but it’s obvious that he could have used a year as the backup QB, learning from one of the best. I hope that Oregon moves on from Moore and pursues an experienced QB in the portal to compete with TT.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought his decommitment was related to Dillingham leaving for ASU. Either way, I think he and TT have very similar style and TT has the advantage of having a solid year of coaching and experience with Bo and this staff. I also am encouraged by the progression he has shown. But if he commits to the Ducks... I'd be happy because he is talented and we all really wanted him before he ditched us.

Edited by QuackerBarrel

I’m pretty sure we’re going to see what the Ducks have with Ty during the Fiesta Bowl. If they end up playing Bama or Penn State or another good defensive team it may not go well. It all depends on who declares for the NFL and who transfers.

• Like 1

The qb decision will an interesting one. We have a nice group of inexperienced qb's committed, and on the bench. What the program may need is an elite starter.

That choice by Stein and Lanning will greatly impact the season next year. I would guess they will take somebody who has experience. Novosad took D Moore's scholarship. I think they will move on from him.

Who they bring in to fill the middle of the D-line, and compete at qb will make or break next season. I am almost more curious about who they can bring in on the D-line with so many of the old guard leaving. 

Seeing Ty play against Alabama would really be something. He'd be playing for the post position at QB1 for next year.